GO!

my 12 week old kitten wont touch wet food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Precious- Kit-Kit

If it dont- crunch get it- off my food-mat

Purred: Thu Nov 5, '09 3:35pm PST 
My kitten is 12 weeks old and she will not touch wet food. I have tried science diet kitten, iam's kitten, fancy feast kitten, and whiska's in the pouch. She will eat her Royal Canine kitten 36 and purina kitten chow with no issues. But i'm worried she is not getting enough hydration. I leave water down 24hours a day and change it 2 times each day. I also give her the whiska's cat milk. What should i do to ensure she stays hydrated? and has a balanced diet?
I have also tried mixing her dry & wet she just shakes her paw at it and looks at me like i'm nuts.
[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Thu Nov 5, '09 4:12pm PST 
well i would at least get her eating high quality dry. Like innova for instance, then go from there. Purina cat chow is low quality.

if you check out catinfo.org, it has a couple stories on her sturggles with picky obese cats who were incredibly hard to convert. Im sure with a kitten it should be much easier.
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Thu Nov 5, '09 4:28pm PST 
Thats why i started the royal canine for her. she eats mostly the royal canine now, i mixed it with the kitten chow when i switched. But i worry about hydration. I was reading about the raw diets. I did read the catinfo.org and a couple others that i saw posted to similar post about what to feed a kitten. Unfortantly i havent been able to find any of the brands people have mentioned around me. I am going to go to the pet store on main st on saturday (its a small family owned business and they are very helpful) They dont even carry anything like purina or iams for cats or dogs. The vet said its fine to be on a dry diet only but my last 2 cats where on dry only and one ended up dieing from liver cancer and the other had diabetes and over the years had several liver/blader issues. So i do not want my kitten on dry only now. she is at this point but for few weeks is okayapplause
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 12:24am PST 
Just trying to do what the catinfo.org site says is your best bet, you have to really try and entice your cat to eat the wet food, your cat will thank you , and your wallet will thank you, so you wont have to take your cat to the vet all the time. kitty
Hopefullythe store you go to has some better foods. way to go
[notify]

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 3:50am PST 
Kit, if you are leaving out the kibble all or most of the day and then putting down the canned you might be setting yourself up for failure. Kit won't be hungry enough to bother trying the wet food if she has fed all day and feels full. I t would be a lot easier to get her to try the "yucky" canned if she is hungry. Maybe you are already doing this, but try not letting her have access to kibble for 3-5 hours before you want her to eat the canned food and then see what happens. Most kittens are very easy to switch foods on as they have not been around long enough to be overly set in their ways. You should have better luck finding a good canned food at the Mom & Pop place. Look especially for EVO Cat & Kitten; it's an awesome food!
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 4:21pm PST 
my mommy went to buy me some Weruva but they didnt have any (they dont carry it anymore) but she got me some wellness kitten and
i turned my nose up at that and shook my paw at it like all the "other" wet foods mommy has gotten me. then she did the awful thing of putting some of my favorite dry food in it and ruined my dry food i gave a very dirty look for that. She also has 2 cans of tiki for me to try tomorrow. Any more ideas that my mommy can pick up for me to try?
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Nov 6, '09 11:49pm PST 
Do not put dry food into wet, as bacteria can grow and make cats sick. If you do this make sure the food is eaten within a half hour before bacteria can grow. Though it doesnt look like you are having that problem because kitty is being stubborn.laugh out loud
With the other food you try, try adding some parmesan cheese (like the kraft kind in the shaker container), or some baby food that does not contain onion or garlic. Make sure when you are putting the wet food down that your kitten is hungry, and you should put the bag of kibble that you have in something glass, and hide it, that way they cant smell the kibble if its in glass sealed up. Could be also the texture, kitty may not like Pate, so try something that has chunks or shredded, fancy feast has some of these.
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Sat Nov 7, '09 4:26am PST 
we've tried chunks at first i thought they were too big so i broke them up but she still wouldn't have it. I just put down her breakfast so she has been out of dry for some time as i put it down last night and was gone when i got up at 2am. but she turned her nose up at it. I told her no dry food til i get home from work (will be 2:45pm) she shook her paw at it... and just drank some of the fresh water i put down. I'm worried about not giving her anything else til i get home this after noon. its going to be about 12hours since i know the kibble was gone. is that too long for to possibly not eat? we had Hawaiian tiki cat for breakfast today. I don't know what to do. I know a dry food only diet is awful for a kitten and i'm not comfortable doing a raw diet (i am very concerned about food borne illness e-coli and the like)
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Sat Nov 7, '09 5:01am PST 
i have noticed that Precious does not seem interested in my food most of the time. however when i have waffles w/syrup i have to fight to keep my plate for me. I know syrup is bad for kitties but i was wondering about maybe honey or something? I think Precious has more of a sweet tooth than a meat tooth. and if possible maybe i could put honey on her wet food and get her to eat it the wet food. She is more interested in cake w/frosting than mac & cheese made from scratch. and more interested in waffles then cereal. I dont know just a thought to get her to eat wet food.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Sat Nov 7, '09 5:33am PST 
Wellness Cat food is excellent. I got it at Whole Foods or ordered online. Mine loved the salmon.
Salmon has a strong order which cats love. I didn't smell it but they did. Warm the food in the microwave will entice her to eat. Make sure that it isn't too hot, just warm it. She will love.
I agree with you about wet food. I give mine dry food only when I am not here to feed them directly. I have battery operated feeders when I am not here. Wet food is best and should not be kept out all day. Mine eat it quickly so I don't have to worry about it.

Now, at fifteen years old, Natasha requires special diet because of crystals so I have switched to
Canin U/R food and she is fine with it. It is still wet food. I hope to avoid diabetes and other
complications that you had and I had with my first cat, Benjamin. Natasha is a light weight
and a fussy eater and has not problem with the new food. I may warm it at times because it came from the fridge.
Sorry about being wordy....12 week kittens are wonderful. She will do well.

Bamcat.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3