GO!

WHY?????????

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Wed Oct 7, '09 6:45pm PST 
OMC I JUST NEED TO VENT HERE I JUST CAME IN FROM OUTSIDE AND I AM CRYING SO HARD I CANT SEE THE KEYBOARD!!!!! WHY WHY WHY WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!?! ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS SOMETHING GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!! *takes deep breaths* ok. I'll explain:
I didnt have school this week and I was excited bc I was going to take Tigger and Milky Way the feral females to be spayed. I set up an appointment at the vet's and everything. The only problem was catching them. Those traps used for ferals arent found in this country and not a single vet's office wanted to lend me a small dog cage to put them in. The best I had was sturdy cardboard boxes and I was willing to try it with those. This is my first time ever trying to catch a feral cat and now I've learned my lesson , NEVER AGAIN!!!! I WAS STUPID ANND NAIVE DID I REALLY THINK I COULD CATCH THEM IN CARDBORAD BOXES?!?! long story short" I caught Milky tiwce and she escaped from me TWICE after an hour of paitient trying and I vaught Tigger once and she also escaped. Even with me mom holding the box down she was desperate and outsmarted us all. I have now ruined the trust both cats had me and I wont be surprised if they never let me pet them again. Plus I've been trying to catch Tigger for a year now and the fact thay she was here today was just a miracle and she will probably never come here again after what happened to her today. ITS JUST SO **** FRUSTRATING!!!!! I didnt catch them and Tigger will probably go into heat again soon and get pregnant and as for Milky , Milky whom I've raised and loved she'll end up the same way and IT WILL BE ALL MY FAULT!!! I swore I wouldnt let her end up like that and now she will. I just wish I could SPEAK to them and tell them its for their own good!!!! I dunno how I'll catch them now, it's back to school next week and my time will be limited I wish I had never gotten involved with them in the first place bc its sooo emotionaly draining. I wish I could just sedate them with a dart like they do for wild animals and I just feel so hopeless for weeks I had been looking forward to this week where I would get them spayed... I was so excited and now I'am MAD. Mad at myself , at the cats and at everything!!!!! this post has no other purpose other than venting sorry about that and if anyone has a suggestion for catching them bc soon it will be too late, tey'll be killed or kicked out of the neighborhood frownfrownfrown
[notify]

Meiga

Spay & Neuter

Purred: Wed Oct 7, '09 7:48pm PST 
Hold on..trust is broken today but not forever. Cats think different than we do. So what people do abt feral cats in Colombia? Kill them?
Is there a Humane Society where you are at? Maybe thery have a humane trap you can borrow
[notify]

mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Thu Oct 8, '09 11:11am PST 
thanks... my last post was very angry sorry about that , the incident had just ocurred and I was upset. I've calme down since and well as for ferla cats in Colombia its either poisoning them or catching them (no idea how they do this as I was unable to) and driving with them far away and dumping them somewhere. People dont care about cats and they are still seen as evil in the worst cases and pests in the best for most people. There is one humane society but its underfunded and understaffed and they usually leave the trapping of animals to their caregivers. Somehow I'll get a metal trap bc my girls are just too smart for cardboard. Poor babies...I just dont want them to end up having babies the rest of their lives it breaks my heart whenver I see Tigger like that knowing that I can do something to stop it and then seeing all my efforts fail. Tigger is very trap savvy , we tried to trap her about a year ago with no sucess so I cant see how we'll manage this time seeing as she's developed a fear of any dark box where she can be trapped. And I hate seeing them run away from me , being scared of me after they get loose from the boxes , when all I'am trying to do is help them!
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Thu Oct 8, '09 2:15pm PST 
Michi,

you may have to wait until they already have had one more litter. I know, frustrating. But pregnant or lactating queens are usually more likely to trust an old ally if they need help. How feasible would it be to lure either cat inside your home, and would you have a spare room you could keep them in while working out how to get them to the vet? I'm sure you've already mentioned your limitations in the past, I am just not well aware of them.
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Thu Oct 8, '09 3:21pm PST 
I"ve done that before. The one that I never gained trust with before hand, learned what my car sounded like and would be gone before I could blink. Never got a chance with her again.

Those that I did build trust up with irst, did come back after a day or so. It'll be okay.
[notify]

mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Thu Oct 8, '09 3:31pm PST 
thanks gracie and bebe... I most certainly do not want to wait for another litter bc there is another queen in the neighborhood who is pregnant and they are thisclose to throwing all the cats out just bc of her. More kittens are not what I need right now. The vet I'am taking her to is a very nice , he too mentioned luring them inside. I live in an apartment , third floor and if I lure them inside just to catch them that's all very well but after the surgery when they're back in the neighborhood I wuldnt put it past them to decide my house is their house and start coming up here. It happens a lot , I know bc thats how we got Michis , she was a stray I fed and she came up to my house one day and never wanted to leave after that! I've gone to a lot of trouble to make sure the cats dont know where I live so they cant follow me up , and I dont want to lead them to my place. I talked to the vet again today and I decided I'll have to buy the metal cage , which I'll probably never use again but oh well , I'll donate it to the humane society or whatever. He told me of a place where I can get them cheap and I'll see if I can go tomorrow and morning and catch them tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!
[notify]

Midnight

Contented

Purred: Sat Oct 10, '09 10:05pm PST 
Don't get yourself nervous do you have a sporting goods store near by. If you do you can probably go buy a cheap trap. Usually a coon trap will do. Put the food in the trap as close as you can get to where you usually feed them. Put food inside it. And set the trap. Cover the trap with an old sheet so they don't see the grates on the trap. Most ferals come out to eat at dusk and early morning you can catch one at a time this way. Have a carrier near by to put them in after you catch them one at a time. If you have touched them before it should be easy for you to handle them. See if you know someone with a plastic carrier to use for transporting them. Those nylon carries are junk. I would even see if you can find a wooden crate nearby. You can use that as a carrier. If you can get the trap you can also keep one cat in a room until you catch the other one. Then put the both of them in the trap. But call around to see if you can find a trap at a sporting goods store. This message is probably a little late to help.

Edited by author Sat Oct 10, '09 10:09pm PST

[notify]

mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Tue Oct 20, '09 2:50pm PST 
Well I'm posting on this thread again to say that tonight I'll try to recapture Milky and Tigger! I finally found a trap after looking everywhere and its not a trap actually but a cage , a former bird cage , MOL! Well you have to use what you can. Its tiny , but cats can fit through the door (bulky michis fit) and once inside there is less maneuver room so I can shut the door quickly. I hope it works , cross your paws for me smilesmilesmile Il'll try the standard tuna bait and a string tied to the cage door so I can hold it open and once inside I can let it go and shut it , even from afar. I hope it works so finally I can get these 2 kitties spayed!!!!! wish me luck kitties smilesmilesmile purrs,
michis' mom
[notify]

Pepsi

FRISKY=RISKY,- SPAY & NEUTER!

Purred: Tue Oct 20, '09 3:39pm PST 
Good luck to you, you're doing a great job!
[notify]

mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Thu Oct 22, '09 7:57pm PST 
cheercheercheercheer yay!!!! I've just released Milky Way back with the other kitties!!! OMC can you belive it Milky is a he!!!! We thought we were spaying a female cat and we ended up neutering a male one! His "parts" are white just like his coat though , and fluffy which is why I never noticed. I was so embarresed when the vet pointed it out , though! He got his rabies shot and was neutered last night. I caught him in the trap not using food , but toys! The long string attatched to the door of the cage was a fun toy for him and I dangled it inside the cage he came in slowly and in no time was playing with it and he didnt even notice I closed the door! Afterwards he did freak out though , poor boy.He seems a little stiff and is limping but I already gave him his pain meds dissolved in milk and he'll be o.k. So one down , one to go!!!! I'll post a pic of Milky in the tiny bird cage soon! OMC I'am soo happy smilesmilesmilesmile
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2