GO!

Another good product for the budget conscious ...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Tue Aug 11, '09 1:24pm PST 
Ok, so I’ve been thinking lately about all the people who are really trying so hard to provide the most optimum diet possible on a limited budget. Because there’s no doubt about it – top-quality canned cat food is expensive. I do believe that those who can find room for it in their budget will save money in the long run because the cats will be healthier and need fewer vet visits, have fewer chronic illnesses, etc. BUT, from a short-term perspective for people who are trying to do the best they can RIGHT NOW, I think I might have a viable alternative. Now don’t get me wrong – it’s not going to be as economical in the short-term as dry food. Nothing is.

But here it is: Honest Kitchen Prowl dehydrated raw cat food. Ingredients are: hormone-free chicken, eggs, potatoes, yams, flaxseed, zucchini, spinach, honey, cranberries, rosemary, vitamins & minerals (no menadione, BHT, or ethoxyqin!) It comes in two and four pound boxes, and all you do is reconstitute it with warm water, stir, let it sit for a few minutes, and serve. I do use this product, and have for quite awhile, but because I don’t feed it every day (maybe once or twice a week, I will replace either an am canned meal or a pm raw meal with it), it didn’t dawn on me how economical it really was until I sat down to figure it out.

According to Honest Kitchen, a 10 to 16 pound cat should eat about ½ cup per day. Honestly, that seems like a lot to me – I think most cats would eat less. But let’s just say that you’re feeding ¼ of a cup twice a day, and you’re feeding HK exclusively. A 2 lb. box of HK yields seven pounds (or eight cups) of food. At ¼ cup per meal, that’s 32 meals per box, FOR ONLY $27.49 PER BOX! Most cases of premium-brand canned cat food are around (or over) $40 per case of 24 5.5 ounce cans.

There is also a 4 lb. box available for $46.59 (prices referenced are from K9Cuisine.com), BUT right now they are offering $5 off on the large boxes with the coupon code that they provide, so that’s 14 pounds of food (or 64 meals) for just $41.59. That’s 64 cents per meal! I checked Petsmart.com just now and looked at Fancy Feast canned food – their sale price for one can (and I may be wrong, but I think those are 3 ounce cans?) is 56 cents!

** One thing I DON’T like about the Honest Kitchen Prowl is that, at this time, there is only one formula, and chicken is the sole protein. I like to vary protein sources, and of course some cats do have chicken intolerances, sensitivities, or allergies. So I would not necessarily feed this exclusively, but it certainly is a reasonably inexpensive (especially for the quality) alternative to high-end canned food for those that would like to feed those foods but are not currently able to due to budget constraints.

Hope this helps!
[notify]

Lalo

Feed me!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 12:13pm PST 
I'm going to get a free sample of Honest Kitchen to try next time I order from k9. It seems like a great way to start feeding raw for beginners. One question: 1/2 cup is only 4 oz--do cats on raw diet eat that much less than cats on other diets? Lalo currently eats about 7-9oz per day of wet food.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 1:19pm PST 
In general, yes, raw fed cats eat much less than cats fed canned foods, if said canned foods have vegetables, grains, or anything other than meat, vitamins, and minerals.
[notify]

Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 1:40pm PST 
Lalo, let us know how you like it. (My cats really like it a lot.)
[notify]

Lalo

Feed me!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 3:13pm PST 
Thanks for the info Amber--yeah he is eating Halo Spot's Stew now. He loves it but it *does* have a lot of carbs. I'm hoping he'll take to the Innova Evo (the 95% meat variety) I ordered recently.

And thanks Olivia, I hope he loves it too!

Actually it's kinda funny that he is being picky now--at his old home he was getting about an ounce of friskies can per day as a special treat and primarily fed a dry food diet. So when he came to me, at first he would gobble up ANY wet food happily. But now that he knows he can fill his little tummy with as much wet food as he wants, he is decidedly more choosy! Just last night I offered him a fancy feast and he just looked up at me, meowed scornfully, and kept head-butting the pantry until I gave in and took out the Halo. laugh out loud
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Aug 12, '09 3:32pm PST 
Because all that Smokey can eat right now, is Fancy Feast, mol, I can tell you all about it. big grin

They are 3 oz cans, as Olivia said, but she gets 1/2 can, twice a day. 1/2 can really is alot, and I have to mix it with water, so its a little soupy, so she stays hydrated, and it takes her a good 5-10 min to eat it all, and she is full. Petsmarts normal price is 56 cents a can, right now, they are on sale for
50 cents a can. big grin
[notify]

Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 9:32am PST 
Interesting to hear that Lalo is so enamored of Spot's Stew. My dogs have always loved it, both the kibble and the canned, but I haven't bought any now in quite awhile. The cats were very unenthused about the Spot's Stew cans, I think because of all the veggies in it.

However, if Lalo likes it that much, there is a book (I have it at home somewhere but I can't remember the name of it) by the founder of Halo Pets (nope, it's not Ellen Degeneres!) that gives the recipe that is used for the original recipe Spot's Stew canned food. So you could, if you wanted, make it at home yourself much more economically and you could also decrease the amount of veggies in there as well.

Anyway, I will look for it when I get home and get you the name of the book so you can check it out if you're interested.
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 1:15pm PST 
Has anyone tried Grandma Lucy's Truth? It's freeze dried chicken and Ocean White Fish, grain-free and you add water to it just like you do with Honest Kitchen. When meowmy went to the pet food store today she asked about Honest Kitchen. They don't carry it but gave her a free trial sized bag of Grandma Lucy's. We haven't tried it yet. Meowmy says if we like it, we'll probably like it until the freebie bag is finished and then hate it after she actually pays for a bag. laugh out loud
[notify]

Olivia

Adore me - OR ELSE!

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 1:37pm PST 
Mittens, no, I have not, and I don't know much about it. Offhand, what I don''t like about it is that it contains fish. For me, that would mean I would only feed it rarely, no more than twice or three times a month. Do they have other varieties?
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Thu Aug 13, '09 2:23pm PST 
Olivia, it only comes in chicken & ocean fish. Oh well . . . it was a freebie and we'll give it a try. If we like it, then we might like Honest Kitchen too and meowmy will consider ordering it.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3