GO!

Cat has string coming out of his butt

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
MOOSE

HLS kills 500- animals daily

Purred: Tue Jul 7, '09 3:45pm PST 
Not mine, but a friend of a friend's. It won't pass, and the cat's been vomiting/going diarrhea. It was taken to the vet, but the vet wouldn't provide any information regarding x-rays or the cat's health because they were unable to pay.

My question is, how long the cat would have before it actually died? ..so that they can decide whether or not to give it to a shelter. confused
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Jul 7, '09 3:52pm PST 
They need to see another vet asap. If they can't afford to take care of it, then I think they should go NOW and ask the shelter to take the cat, so it can be euthanized--if the intestine is tangled, this poor kitty could continue suffering for a long time, and he probably needs some expensive care that he isn't going to get.
[notify]

MOOSE

HLS kills 500- animals daily

Purred: Tue Jul 7, '09 4:06pm PST 
I thought the cat would die a lot sooner, but yeah I totally agree with you. I'm dozens of states away or I'd help the dude out. confused

I suggested they sign the cat over to the ASPCA.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue Jul 7, '09 4:37pm PST 
are they sure its a string and not a worm? if its a string they need to take it to the shelter ASAP or else it may die. maybe the local shelter can help them. and i cant beleve a vet would turn them away when the cat is obviously in danger! grrr. vets.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Tue Jul 7, '09 4:46pm PST 
Never advisable to pull a string out of a dog or cat's bottom yourself. Best to let it pass, and if it doesn't then it's off to the vet. It could easily be wrapped around an intestine, etc. I'm surprised the vet would do nothing for them, not even suggestions. I'm not sure the shelter would do much better though, they have loads of kittens now and an older cat with an unknown problem would likely be euthanized.
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Wed Jul 8, '09 12:42am PST 
that makes me made the vet wont see them because they are unable to pay.

I never had a string stuck in my cats butt, but I've had my hair stuck.

I took my cat to the vet one time because I thought this was making him sick and I had them Pull it out because he didn't pass it within 24 hours. I believe they did do Xrays before they did this though. It's not safe to pull it out either because they will squeeze tighter if you try to yank.

I hope the cat will be fine and pass if, if not try to find a vet that will do it and have the owner pay in payments.
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Wed Jul 8, '09 2:08am PST 
They need to sit down with the phonebook and call any and every vet that is listed, looking for a vet that will accept a payment plan or a post dated check. Have they looked into Care Credit? - http://www.carecredit.com/ , or getting a credit card? Can they try contacting any local university or vet training school? Can they contact the local shelters and rescue groups and try to find out if there are any low cost clinics in the area?

Good luck. It's an awful situation to be in.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Wed Jul 8, '09 8:20am PST 
What Suey said. Tell your friend not to give up!
[notify]

Kerpal

Teh Boss

Purred: Wed Jul 8, '09 9:35am PST 
What about Pet insurance?
[notify]

Frodo

Hobbit Kitty,- Mighty Hunter

Purred: Wed Jul 8, '09 11:27am PST 
You mention you'd help if you were closer - you could use paypal if you wanted to help financially. He could call the SPCA and see if they would take the cat. Whatever he decides to do, he'd better do it immediately - that cat is suffering.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2