GO!

How do you tell the gender of kittens?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Deja Blu

I will NOT be- ignored!

Purred: Thu Jun 18, '09 5:38pm PST 
Deja gave birth on Friday to 5 darling little kittens. snoopy
I have waited to handle them & am now starting to pick them up.
Of course one of the first questions anyone asks about the kittens is: how many boys? how many girls?
I have turned them over & looked but to me they all look like girls.
They are only 6 days old, so is it too soon to tell?
Could it be possible to have a litter of 5 kittens & have them ALL be girls?shrug
We want to start naming them & it would help if we knew what gender they are.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu Jun 18, '09 10:12pm PST 
It's Stella. Turn the kittens over with their south ends facing you, and move any fur away from their ends if they are fluffy. You should see two little hairless areas, one on top of the other. The top one is the anus, and the bottom one is their sex organ. If it is a girl, the two openings will look like ; with the bottom one being more of a line or a slit. If it is a boy they will look like : two dots, and sometimes you can feel two little bumps around the bottom dot which will be the testicles, but they are probably small for that.

It is best to check them as early as possible, even when they are first born, because it is really clear then, and later it can be harder to tell--sometimes even vets make mistakes. It is theoretically possible that they are all girls. Our person's doggie had 8 pups in her litter, and 7 were boys. She thought there was something wrong with her technique for figuring them out as it was her first time handling newborn animals, but she was right.

Good luck with the sweet little kittens!
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri Jun 19, '09 7:15am PST 
Yep, Meowma always heard
Upside down exclamation point ( !, upside down)= girl
Colon : = boy

So, this litter is 3 boys, and 2 girls lying on their backs laugh out loud...

( : : ! : ! )

And yes, the whole litter could be girls.... It sounds wrong, but each egg is fertilized separately, so each one, separately, has a 50/50 chance of being either sex; it's actually just as likely as any other combination.
Flip a penny six times, fifty times, or whatever--it usually does not come up heads or tails half and half.
There are some animals that produce male or female offspring due to environmental factors, but they are all reptiles and fish. I think.

Edited by author Fri Jun 19, '09 7:20am PST

[notify]

Deja Blu

I will NOT be- ignored!

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '09 7:27am PST 
Thank You!!!
I had it all wrong! I thought dots meant girls & didn't know to look for a slit. Now I think it goes something like this ! : ! : !
I certainly am not banking on it though. It really is HARD to tell. Plus they don't like to checked.
Although it would have been a novelty to have all girls, I'm glad there's a mix. I am going to try to adopt a set out together now.
Thanks again!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '09 7:38am PST 
sexing kittens is hard! im usually pretty good, but once a "boy" kitten turned out to be a girl and i only figured it out after 4 weeks!

boys have a gap between there anus and penis. females have an anus and a slit under that, its closer together.

i know, i know! they all look the same
[notify]

rhymon- pearle- hedges-come- home

i demand a- shrubbery!!!

Purred: Sun Jun 21, '09 2:08am PST 
i know all the rules for sexing kittens. i have looked at graphics. i have looked at pictures. still...rhymon pearle started my acquaintance as "simon".hedgesshrug (i think with her i was sort of thrown by her being so extra-furry, and what i thought were simons' "bits" was actually...matted fur. laugh out loud )

anyway...it feels wrong, but there is no biological law that says litters must be mixed sex-though actually, for mammals it's not quite 50/50, we aren't actually coins.there are certain factors that make females more likely-something as simple as bad prenatal nutrition can tip the odds in favor of a female rather than a male. all mammals start conception as females, actually...oh, never mind. no one really wants to know all that, and if they do they can look it up...

yeah. upside down ( ! ) it's a girl, ( : ) it's a boy...if you're still not sure, flip a coinbig grin...or you could play it safe and come up with five unisex names?
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Sun Jun 21, '09 6:27am PST 
The exclamation and colon didn't help me so much as remembering that girls bits are really close together and boys have a larger gap between the two bits. But now having a young male and a young female it's really easy to tell!

Yes Booboo, some species of fish and reptiles have gender based on nest positioning. Most notably in alligators and other crocodilians, if the egg is above 91 degrees F it's a boy, and below 85 degrees F is a girl!
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Sun Jun 21, '09 8:06am PST 
Here is a link on caring for newborn kittens. big grin

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2138&aid=906
[notify]

Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Sun Jun 21, '09 4:52pm PST 
Lol! I'm really good at this. I've done it many times. I just rescued three newborns.
[notify]

rhymon- pearle- hedges-come- home

i demand a- shrubbery!!!

Purred: Mon Jun 22, '09 3:11pm PST 
i've actually usually found it easier the smaller they were...until they get around two months or so, then it gets fuzzy, and improves as they mature...i actually got the 3 Blacks correctly sexed, probably because i got the first peek when they were between two and three weeks. (rhymon was about two months old when i took her inside...and had more fur than the law should allow, dirty and matted. she's a beauty now, though...and will be ONE YEAR OLD TOMORROW!party )
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2