GO!

Cat treats?

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Caramel

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 11:48am PST 
Does anyone know of any home made small cat treat recipes? I want to make my cats something yummy to eat under a tight budget. I can't always give them tuna because I know it can cause your cat to go blind. Anyone have any tidbits or recipes? smile I would appreciate the info! little angelcloud 9kittyhamster dancekittyhugbig grin
[notify]

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 1:20pm PST 
Tuna as a treat is just fine.

Tuna may cause kitty to go blind if that's all you feed them--it's because tuna lacks taurine, a fatty acid necessary for eye health. A cat will not go blind from tuna as a treat.

Tuna also contains mercury, and should be eaten in moderation because of it, but other fish contain mercury too. Kitties, and humans, should only eat oily fish (tuna, mackerel, swordfish, shark) a maximum of two servings a week (a serving for human being a can of tuna or equivalent, less for kitties). Once a week is better if you're worried.

Everything in moderation and you'll be just fine. Have you tried drying your own meats? There are instructions on the internet for making chicken, beef, etc jerky.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 4:05pm PST 
I am a dog person. Sorry, can't help you there. If Caramel was a dog, I'd tell you to cut up some fruits and vegetables and cheese for training treats.
[notify]

Skitzee

Missy Blue Eyes

Purred: Thu Jun 18, '09 8:59am PST 
mom doesn't know of any home made treats. sorry about that! shrug

we always liked to get tunas as a special supper....and for treats... CHEERIOS!!! cheer mom has not ever met a kitty who didn't like cheerios!
[notify]

Emmi

The Snuggler

Purred: Mon Jun 29, '09 10:42pm PST 
I've snuck a couple of Cherrios when mom drops them and they are yummy. http://www.catster.com/forums/post.php#
[notify]

mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Tue Jun 30, '09 9:08am PST 
http://www.petplace.com/cats/homemade-treats-for-your-cat/page1.aspx
http://articles.directorym.net/Homemade_Cat_Treats-a1072475.html
these 2 sites have several recepies for homemade cat treats you can mkae for them. Mommy once printed out like 4 pages of cat treat recipies , she still has them but doesnt remeber the webpage. I unfortunatly , hate , hate anything she makes for me , even when she'd go to a lot of trouble to bake things and stuff , I would turn up my kitty nose at them. Maybe I am just picky , but you should make a small serving of a treat first cause if your kitties dont like them , like me , what will you do with the leftovers? so its best to make a sample first. purrs,
michis
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jul 2, '09 1:42pm PST 
Plain cooked chicken and turkey are great for treats way to go You can simmer the meat in just water until cooked through or roast it. I love boiled chicken and roast turkey cloud 9 The cooked meats can be frozen for future use.

Raw uncooked chicken and turkey is good, too, if you like eating raw stuff.
[notify]

Dylan

Purred: Wed Jul 15, '09 8:44pm PST 
I just give my cat little pieces of cooked turkey or a little dollop of chicken flavored baby food in a small dish. The baby food only costs 99 cents for a jar and as long as you keep it refrigerated it will last a week or so.
[notify]

Kinako

carpe carp =^^=

Purred: Fri Jul 17, '09 10:50pm PST 
Hi!
I give Kinako katsuobushi. It's dried bonito flakes, they are all natural and can be found in the Asian isle of your local supermarket or at a Mitsuwa/Japanese store. ^.^
[notify]

Angel Sandy

Always an Angel

Purred: Tue Jul 28, '09 1:58pm PST 
Yeah, they LOVE turkey, I remember Squeakers loved it a whole lot more than I did!
Yeah, tuna every so often won't hurt, they even make cat tuna, but I suppose that's more expensive
Baby food is good, so long as it's not onion-based, which, unfortunately, most of them are, so they appeal to babies. Unfortunately onions can be bad for kitties frown
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2