GO!

Warning about Greenies treats

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Milla

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 9:36am PST 
I had a horrible experience with this product and I wanted to share it in case anyone is going through this.

I was feeding my cat 2 or 3 Greenies Feline treats every week, maybe 3x a week. My cat LOVED them. She started a pattern of 3-4 days being her active, healthy self and then 2-3 days of vomiting and lethargy. She refused to eat. I took her to the vet for blood tests, fecal tests, and x-rays. They couldn't find anything. I came to the boards for advice bc I thought it was a particular flavor of food but once I brought her food to only 2 flavors and she still got sick, I started thinking it was the greenies. Since I took those out of her diet, my cat has never looked and acted healthier!!!

I'm so relieved.

There are warnings and similar stories of pet owners experiencing the same. CNN did a story several years back about the hazards.

I'm not feeding her treats right now but if people have suggestions for wholesome brands that offer treats, please let me know.
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 11:31am PST 
Hi Milla wave

Thank you for the warning! Like you, I was once a Greenies junkie and LOVED them. I didn't even want to eat my regular food, only Greenies, so mommy stopped giving them to me. cry Yes, I did vomit a lot when eating them but I have IBD and am known to vomit a lot anyway, so it's hard to tell if it was the Greenies or not.

A good, wholesome treat I love and highly recommend is Halo Liv a Littles, esp. the chicken. They're 100% freezed dried chicken and have no additives or preservatives.
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 12:34pm PST 
Have you tried CatManDoo dried bonita flakes? Molly and I *love* them!
[notify]

Milla

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 5:01pm PST 
thanks for the replies.

i'll look into the halo treats. i think i've seen them.

yes, i've given milla plain bonito flakes and she loves them but they're very stinky!
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 5:07pm PST 
Mmmm, yeah, the halo liv-a-little chicken treats are the bomb! laugh out loud Isabelle inhales them and I don't feel guilty about feeding them because they are pure chicken.
[notify]

Louie

Feet Fetish

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 5:23pm PST 
my cat threw up today which im prtty sure were the greenies treats..but hes also been castrated today? so could it be that i just overfed him ? coz they said to only give a little bit of food in the evening but i gave him his regular three times a day food with some greenies..
[notify]

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Sun May 17, '09 8:56pm PST 
I've never done the greenies treats with any of mine, but they love Catswell and Dogswell jerkies!
[notify]

Bo

Cracky-because- he's wild!Like- he's high!

Purred: Mon May 18, '09 12:10am PST 
I acted the same way. I didn't want anything else other than those. But, doesn't that show that they taste good? I finally realized I get what's put in front of me or I don't get treats.
[notify]

Tabitha

Is it dinner- time, meow!

Purred: Mon May 18, '09 8:02am PST 
Thanks for the warning! I've never tried greenies before and haven't found a treat that I really like. I'll take a look at the Halo treats next. Looks like they received some good reviews.
[notify]

Alexis Tippy- *PAWS*

I am the black- panther party!- :-D

Purred: Tue Jun 9, '09 6:48pm PST 
My meowmy recently read through more and more information about Greenies and is so paranoid now. We've been Greenies addicts fur years now so meowmy is trying different treats fur us to finally get off them. Catswell chicken jerky is pretty good, but it's taking some time to get used to the different texture. Wellness has some good minibite type treats that are pretty good too, but it's taking some getting used to the much smaller size.

Does anyone know of a good tartar control treat??? We've had to revert back to Whiska lickins because they are crunchy, but what are some good, more wholesome crunchy treats???thinking
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2