GO!

I don't want to give them up!!

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sat Apr 4, '09 8:53pm PST 
I don't know what to do. I have a dilemma...

I rescued 7 feral kittens and bottle fed them until they were old enough to be weaned. When they were ready I listed them for adoption and tried to find homes, but I had a lot of trouble. One found a home at 3-4 months old, then finally another one at 6 months. There are 5 left. I have one more kitten who is going to a new home tomorrow... She was actually adopted before by someone who works with my mother but she was returned because the family was allergic.
The problem is that I still have more 4 kittens from the litter, and I am very attached to all of them. They are about 8 months old now. Originally I was not planning to keep any. Then I said I would keep one. Then I was going to keep one and have one live with a family member. The problem is now I am so attached and I don't want to give any of them up!! They all have very distinct personalities and I just can't imagine giving them to someone else!
Spot is the big boy, he is 12 pounds already and still growing. I call him "Chub-chub." He is the squishy floppy cat who loves to sleep on my pillow over my head.
Harlequin aka Harley is the feisty little one, she is small and full of cattitude. She is also gorgeous with her calico splotches and tabby markings. (She's tiny, only 5.8 pounds.) She is the one I was going to keep if I just kept one kitten.
Blaze is the toy-crazy kitty who jumps the highest after Da Bird toy and plays the longest. He also plays fetch and likes to cuddle up with his head under my chin and knead my shoulders.
Mr. Gray's nickname is "Little One" because he was the smallest runt in the litter. When he was a baby he had huge eyes in a tiny head so I called him Mr. Grey because he looks like an alien (they call the big-eyed aliens "Grays"). He caught up to the other cats in size but he still has huge round eyes.

Sometimes all five kittens will come up when I'm in bed and cuddle with me all together!
I want to keep them all but I already live with 3 cats and that would make the total 7 cats. I don't know what to do. My family members don't like the idea.

Edited by author Sun Apr 5, '09 8:03pm PST

[notify]

Biscuit- (Angel)

Guardian- Angel~23.8 Years- of Love

Purred: Sat Apr 4, '09 9:40pm PST 
Quite a few families have 7 cats (or more). As long as you can provide medcare, food, love and security to your crew and all is well between the catfamily and you yourself don't feel over-burdened...then go for it hug

Meows,
Biscuit

PS, I have a mutiple cat family myself.
[notify]

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sat Apr 4, '09 10:03pm PST 
I can but it is difficult sometimes to keep up with the litterboxes. :/
[notify]

Chubs

I'm large and in- charge!

Purred: Sun Apr 5, '09 9:38am PST 
We agree - there are five of us and Mom has fosters, too. If you can handle the extra expense (and litterbox patrols) then go for it! It does sound like you love all of them...

PS me and my sisfur (actual littermate) Patch were kittens born to a stray that Mom befriended and she just couldn't part with us when the time came!
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Apr 5, '09 12:47pm PST 
Meowma wishes she could afford to keep that many kitties--it seems like about the right amount to sleep with, and a couple are playful enough to be entertainers while others snuggle. And we love stripey/spotty cats here!
[notify]

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sun Apr 5, '09 1:17pm PST 
The cost is not really a problem, two of the cats are owned by another family member so he pays for part of the food/litter and etc... Plus I work for my vet so that helps. way to go
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Sun Apr 5, '09 6:15pm PST 
It is still possible that your kitties may get adopted...we were 7 months old when our Mom found us with a local rescue group - they really wanted us adopted as a pair since we are brothers. The younger, smaller kittens were finding homes, and the rescue group was comtemplating splitting us up so we'd find homes, but then our Mom came along and wanted BOTH of us - what a stroke of luck!

On the other hand, if you are bonded with these kitties, and can afford to keep them all, we say "the more the merrier"!!! snoopy

Purrs, Luke and Tully
[notify]

Java,- Beloved- Angel

Where is the- food?

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 5:43pm PST 
Go for it and keep those babies! There is nothing wrong with having a multiple cat houshold. A few years ago, our mom had 8 at one time and she loved them all. That was before she moved to California and now she has 4.

It is always hard to give a baby up. Many years ago, mom took in a little girl that we think was about 3 weeks old because the person that was fostering her had a dog that wanted to turn her into dinner. It was supposed to only be until they could find her a new home and she was with my mom for 13 years. You can't bottle feed a baby kitty without forming any kind of bond, and that bond can be very hard to break!

Best Wishes to you all!
[notify]

Pauline- (2005-2009)

Spay or Neuter

Purred: Tue Apr 7, '09 10:45am PST 
We're a furrmily of 10..started out with one, then 3, etc, etc. And Mom is fostering 3, one she bottlefed, another was just weaned and the 3d a teenager. Most of us started out as fosters(she rescue kitties) but 10 is her housekitties limit..litterbox patrol oooh yeeeah!
So we understand perfectly; keep them. If you think you can't keep up with litterboxes, etc..well then you can't keep them. And put limits to how many you can care for well. If you study and/or work (you work for a vet, you should do well, think of the $$ saved in first aid/consults, etc!) chances are you've less time that somebody that doesn't(mom works at home) Those are things a person must know because surely you bond with a kitten you've raised and you'll feel you can't give them up unless you've made up your mind before
Mom does taming and she must get into the kitties heads(she tries anyways) to get to know them. She's fallen in love with all but knows
what her limits are and that's the way to go.
Best of luck and thanks for saving those babies
[notify]

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Tue Apr 7, '09 2:23pm PST 
I wasn't planning to keep any of the kittens in the beginning...then again I wasn't planning to keep Church either, he was also a feral I rescued at about 6 weeks old and he was supposed to be a foster until he was old enough to find a home. Then when he was old enough I couldn't find a home for him and finally after looking for a long time I ended up keeping him.
The only thing I really have trouble with is the litter box, I forget how much more often I need to check it than I am used to because I am using to having only a few cats using it!
I am working long-ish hours right now but it's temporary because I'm filling in for someone for a few weeks... However there are 4 people in our family and there is almost always someone home even if it's not me, there is one family member who is retired so he is home during the day, I always remind him to play with the kittens if I am going to have a long work day. Unfortunately I am the only one who cleans the majority of the litterboxes since all but 2 of the cats are mine!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2