GO!

Want to do some research first

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Maverick

You will never- find my stash of- pieces!!

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 1:53pm PST 
Hi all!
I am a college student who is graduating in May. I am looking to adopt a cat (or two) after I am settled into an apartment and a job after graduation.
I am trying to figure out what age cat would be best for me. I have a 5 year old Yellow Lab (she'll be 6 in January) who is my service dog --she tends to be excitable around cats. She used to chase Maverick (my roommate's cat) in our apartment (though Maverick would instigate it sometimes by slapping her on the behind! laugh out loud ) She never hurt him --she just liked to chase (trying to play).
I have heard conflicting advice. Some people say I should get kittens because they will grow up around Pebbles and not run and trigger the chase response. If I do get kittens, I will keep Pebbles and the kittens separate and probably will tie Pebbles' leash to a table at first until she gets used to them (she would chase Maverick less as the novelty wore off). Pebbles would never be home with the kittens alone because she goes with me everywhere and would be with me at work.
I would really like to adopt an adult cat because they tend to be overlooked (and I have met some WONDERFUL, SWEET adult cats at the shelter!). But would an adult be a good match with a mostly mellow but sometimes exuberant Lab? I would need an adult cat that is mellow and not afraid of dogs --one that will give Pebs a quick swat to put her in her place!
I'm not looking to adopt anytime soon (I graduate from college in May.) But I am wanting to do my research/homework and plan ahead. I've had a cat since I was in 4th grade and it has been so hard not living with one for the past 2 years.
Any advice on choosing the right age?

Edited by author Tue Oct 21, '08 1:54pm PST

[notify]

~ Brooke ~- Angel Queen

Her Highness

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 6:48pm PST 
I adopted my most recent three cats when I had Hershey. They were, respectively, 8wks (maus), 5-8 years (Chloe), 1-2 years (Sable), and Hershey was fully grown.

There was of course an introductory period, but now I can have all of the cats and the dog all in the same room, and they all sit in their respective spots without bothering one another. So age shouldn't really matter too much!
It is good to get two cats together, as they keep each other company!
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 9:23pm PST 
Ask the volunteers or staff at your local rescue if they have any bonded pairs that have lived with dogs before. At our shelter we get all kinds of kitties with different past living arrangements.

Good luck.
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 6:29am PST 
An adult cat would be a good choice because its personality would already be evident. With domestic mixed breed kittens, it is basically impossible to predict what their personality will be when they grow up. Sites like petfinder.com and many shelters will label individual cats as being best suited to be an only pet, or being comfortable with dogs, etc. In some cases, you may be able to find out if the cat has even lived with dogs before. Kittens are very excitable and playful and probably not a good fit for an already excitable dog. An adult cat with a nice mellow attitude may be a better fit. And since adult cats generally end up being at shelters for longer periods of time than kittens (since they are less likely to be adopted), the people working at the shelter should be pretty familiar with their personalities.
[notify]

Pepper

Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 8:18am PST 
It is really all about the cats. Personalities vary so much from cat to cat, you just need to go in to a shelter or rescue and visit, ask questions, and try to make the best decision you can.

You may find a kitten that you feel is the best match or maybe a couple adult cats that are perfect. I am personally a bigger fan of adults they would perhaps have more confidence with the dog, not acting like a "toy", i.e. squeaking and running around like a kitten would.

It really is all about the individual cats, go to your local rescue or shelter and tell them about your situation, my guess is that they will have a whole list of cats for you to meet that would work in your family.
[notify]

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 3:51pm PST 
Definitly ask the shelter volunteers about which cats they think might do well with dogs. Many cats are dropped because of problems the owner cant control and they'll know the history, instead of strays which they may not know how they'll react with people or other animals. maybe even a month or two before you graduate, ask the shelter to call you if an animal comes in that might meet your requirements. spring summer are definitly kitten season, and you can probably find a wonderful sweet pair of kittens, or even an older cat thats overlooked during kitten season. Also, for pair adult cats, they might not be brother and sister, but sometimes bing put in shelter causes unrelated adult cats to bond and become best friends, many shelters have pairs like that. In fact, when I got Phil he was rather depressed after his two best friends were adopted and he was left alone with other cats picking on him.

Basically jsut ask the volunteers there. they'll have history with the cats and know there stories and can put you with the right pair smile
[notify]

Maverick

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 7:25pm PST 
Thank you all for your help! Now I'm feeling better about being able to make a good decision! smile
[notify]

Maverick

Purred: Fri Oct 24, '08 12:47pm PST 
I have done some searches on Petfinder just to familiarize myself with how the website works.
I have had my heart set on having a Russian Blue for years --and I know they wind up in shelters/rescues from time to time. I have seen some Russians listed on Petfinder, but cannot seem to find a Russian Blue rescue anywhere.
I will happily adopt a Russian mix --it does not have to be CFA registered or anything. I'd also love just a regular moggle (mixed, everyday cat).
There's just something about the Russian that I have always loved...and it would be my dream come true to have one. I know they tend to be reserved --so I'm not sure if a Russian would work right now with Pebbles. What do you guys think?
[notify]

Maverick

Purred: Sun Oct 26, '08 2:48pm PST 
Anyone? Any suggestions?
[notify]

Maverick

Purred: Tue Dec 2, '08 9:19am PST 
I also have another question.

Would I need to get two cats or would one cat do well by his/herself? I would provide plenty of toys and would take time to play with the cat every day and am trying to figure out if I need to adopt two cats together. I would be willing to adopt two cats --it would mean more expenses, though --I would prefer one cat - at least at first.

I plan to adopt an adult --I just need to find a cat that would be calm around a large, playful Labrador Retriever. I also haven't gotten a response yet in regards to my previous question. Does anyone have any advice?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3