GO!

Eye removal

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tipper

The tiny terror- of the house

Purred: Tue Jun 17, '08 5:49pm PST 
I was rescued just a couple of weeks ago by Mom. I am very tiny, still only about 1 1/2 lbs @ 10 weeks according to the vet. When I was 8 weeks, Mom took me to the local rescue to get my eye looked at and I was lucky enough to be healthly enough to get fixed too. My 3rd eyelid will not retract. Mom went in the hospital unexpectedly last week and I ended up getting out. A neighbor took me to the same rescue because she didn't know I lived in the building because me & Mom & my sibs had just moved in. A visiting vet saw me eye and told Mom he might be able to fix it but it was an experiment. He cut my eye socket open more and scraped my 3rd eyelid and gave Mom ointment to put on it but it doesn't seem to be working for me. He told Mom he had done this before and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but if it didn't then my eye needs to be removed.

He will come back and remove my eye for nothing but Mom is worried about me because I am so tiny. He also told Mom I will probably stay smaller than usual because he thinks I was from a 2nd litter and basically ended up being a preemie because my sibs were all so much bigger than me.

Mom is afraid of losing me. I'm her little tip-a-do cause I'm always doing something. Has anyone else ever had an eye removed? What can Mom expect? She figures I will get pain meds and antibiotics and I know my brother Alex will look out for me. Will I learn to adjust so I can jump & play with Sassy & Alex still? Does it hurt for very long? Mom hates to see any of us hurt or sick or sad but Mom says Sassy & Alex are very healthy cause she keeps them inside and away from strange animals.

Edited by author Tue Jun 17, '08 5:50pm PST

[notify]

Leaf

Must kick and- shred!

Purred: Tue Jun 17, '08 6:56pm PST 
Tipper my family doesn't have any experience with this kind of thing, but we wanted to send you lots of healing purrs and hugs. It is great you have a new Mommy who really cares about you and is taking good care of you. Please let us know what happens! hug
[notify]

Timmy

mmmeeeooowww

Purred: Wed Jun 18, '08 10:42am PST 
I have not heard of this happening, but know that me and my family are praying for you. Please keep us updated! hug
[notify]

Horus

Wild Hunter -- in my- immagination

Purred: Wed Jun 18, '08 10:44am PST 
I was adopted with only one eye. I came into the Boulder shelter with some kind of scratch or infection that necessitated the removal of my eye.

Mommy wasn't there when it happened, but she doesn't have to do a thing special now. the eye socket grew over with skin and fur, there's no needs for meds (long term, that is -- of course you will have pain meds and antibiotics when they treat you).

and i do everything any other cat does, including getting into trouble, and attacking my sisfur.

one good thing about being so young, is that young cats heal fast! hugs
[notify]

Simon

Always in my- memory

Purred: Thu Jun 19, '08 11:16am PST 
thinking Tipper, my Meowmy had a barn cat a couple of years ago who got an eye infection (REAL bad). The cat was semi-feral, which means Meowmy could pet her and feed her, but that was about it. The cat couldn't go to the vet, so Meowmy just kept an eye on her. Once the swelling went down and the eyelid opened-there was an empty socket!! The cat did fine after that until she disappeared. You are indoors, so it shouldn't be too bad for you.
Purring for you!!
[notify]

Mitten

Blind kitties- rock!

Purred: Sat Jun 21, '08 7:47am PST 
Hey Tipper! I just wanted to let you know I recently had my left eye removed and it wasn't fun but I recovered quite well and get around just fine. I was blind from birth but my left eye had gotten to a point where it was infected and had glaucoma so my doc felt it was best to remove. I got medicine to keep me from hurting. I did not like it because Mom held me down and put it in my mouth with something called a syringe. But it did not taste too bad. And I wore this THING around my neck for about 2 weeks that I hated! But Mom said I had to keep it on so I would not scratch at my eye or mess with the stitches. I feel GREAT now that my eye does not hurt anymore because it was so painful before. Meowmy was very vigilant with checking my eye while I had the stitches in and keeping it cleaned around the sutures so I did not get an infection.

You can see from this pic my stitches and collar I wore. Meowmy can't get me to sit or stand still long enough to get any better pics of me now that I am all healed up but she will keep trying. I am sure you have a good doc like I did and that makes all the difference. They answered all Meowmy's questions and told her what to expect. I would ask your vet about your size. If the surgery can be put off until you weigh a little more it might be best. I know that for pediatric spays and neuters they want you to weigh at least 2 lbs.

Good luck, and Meowy and I are here if you have any more questions!!

kitty
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Sat Jun 21, '08 8:29am PST 
I don't know anything about cat eye removal.....but my human person works with people with learning disabilities and one of her residents had an eye removed.....he does very well....no problems except that his eye-less socket has to be kep very clean (saline solution) to make sure there is no infection creeping in.........

and you have to be careful about approaching him from the side that he cannot see.......he doesn't like it....it gives him a shock......don't know if this is the same with cats.....

Oh, Oh, all good wishes to you.......you'll be ok......

Tambi
[notify]

Tipper

The tiny terror- of the house

Purred: Sat Jun 21, '08 8:44pm PST 
My meowmy feels better reading these posts. I weigh in @ almost 2 lbs now and was only 1 1/2 when I was fixed. Meowmy says I will never care about girls but my fursis is a girl and I love her. Meowmy says I am a tough guy.

I get all kinds of good food and mom keeps some out all the time so I can eat whenever I get hungry. Sometimes she gives us special treats, like we got some chicken today that was yummy. I still take mine and run hide but mom keeps telling me Sassy & Alex won't take my food. And she gives us special milk every day and I love it.
[notify]

Alex

I'm the baby

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '08 7:37pm PST 
I'm Tipper's big brother and our Meowmy is so worried about him. She took him off today in our car box and came back without him. She said he is getting his eye fixed but I have no idea what that means. I just know Meowmy is upset and won't go to bed, says she misses not having Tip-a-do grab her feet. I tried extra loving but I can tell she is still upset he is gone. I hope he isn't too lonely tonight, I miss cuddles with him, even if he does try to bite my ears all the time.
[notify]

Beegee

Pet me, love me!

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '08 7:59pm PST 
we hope the little one is ok, poor baby! purrrs
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3