GO!

Do you think I'm fat?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Marley

Mommy's Big- Kitten

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '08 7:24pm PST 
I'm 6.5 months old and I weigh 10 pounds. I was 2 pounds at 12 weeks old. I went through a growth spurt at about 3 months where I looked long and lanky for a while then I filled out. Do you think I'm fat? You can be honest. It won't hurt my feelings. My Mommy and Big Brother are chubby too.

Recent picture are in my profile. I tried to link to my Photobucket album but it didn't work frown

Edited by author Mon Jun 16, '08 10:05pm PST

[notify]

Marley

Mommy's Big- Kitten

Purred: Wed Jun 4, '08 9:31pm PST 
I don't know why the links to my pictures aren't working on here. I added some new profile pictures instead. Look at the 3 newest ones on the bottom. And be honest, does this fluffy fur make me look fat?

Edited by author Wed Jun 4, '08 9:40pm PST

[notify]

ishtar- *proud- wobnapt*

monday-again!

Purred: Fri Jun 6, '08 9:14am PST 
are you neutered? if not - human said you should perhaps have a closer look on your eating habits... you seem to be a big kitty but since you're still growing overweight might harm your spine, your bones, your joints and ligaments. human said "chubby" might be ok for an adult (as long it is not really obese...) but it's a different topic for a kitten. your last pic looks a bit like "now it's enough". yes. you are "enough marley" not yet "fat marley" - - - my opinion.
[notify]

Marley

Mommy's Big- Kitten

Purred: Tue Jun 10, '08 10:45pm PST 
Will someone else answer this? Don't click the links in my original post, they aren't working. The pictures are in my profile. Please look and let me know your opinion.

I turned 7 months old today. I'm 10.5 pounds now. Mommy is sad that I'm growing up so fast.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Tue Jun 10, '08 11:21pm PST 
Mom says that you do look fat in those pictures with your brofur. She says you look ok if you look round when crouched, but stretched out and walking around, you look a bit... sausagy.

At your size, you probably should be taken off kitten food if you're eating that. I went off of it when I hit the 8 lbs mark at about 8 months, so at 10 lbs, you have gotten plenty of nutrition targeted for growth.

If mom is free feeding you, she ought to stop, and should really keep treats to a minimum. Mom can also help you by playing with you having you run around chasing either a feather wand or a laser dot.

Don't despair. I was on the less than svelte size myself when I started slowing down after I turned one, in my case mom reduced my food intake until I became more svelte and started running around more. Nowadays, I have become active again, so she feels ok giving me the occasional treat, but I only get them at the end of play.
[notify]

Marley

Mommy's Big- Kitten

Purred: Wed Jun 11, '08 4:38pm PST 
To answer both replies:

I was neutered at about 12 weeks old. I wonder if that has something to do with it? I have that wiggly belly like an older cat.

Mommy stopped the kitten food soon after she brought me home because I wouldn't eat it. I ate my brother's food instead and he ate mine! After trying to keep us separated at feeding time for a few weeks she gave up and started giving us the same food.

Before I came to live here Mommy brought big brother for a checkup. He was 16 pounds and the vet said he should lose 3-4 pounds. Mommy was feeding him 2 regular size cans of food per day plus all the dry food he wanted. So she cut his canned food in half and he's down to 13 pounds. She puts out 2 cans and dry food now, one in the morning and one at night, and we have to share it. So we're both getting about 1 can a day and we don't eat much of the dry stuff. And Mommy never eats so we get no table scraps.

I do get lots of exercise. My brother and I chase each other around and wrestle every day. I play with my toys and Mommy plays with me too.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Wed Jun 11, '08 5:13pm PST 
I would start measuring the dry food too. If you replenish the bowl as soon as it's empty, you might be giving them more dry than you're aware of.

To give you an idea, I'm 11 lbs. I get 1/2 cup of dry split into two servings per day. I am free to take my time to eat it, but if there's no more food, then I'm done until the next serving. Every other day, mom gives me 1/4 of a cup of dry for one feeding, and a 3 oz can of wet for the other meal. This has worked well for us.

I never feel deprived or cry for food. In the rare cases I do run out of food quickly, then I just wait for the next portion. Crying does me no good, as mom has been told never to relent on this, or she'd be encouraging me to get fat, so I've learned to be patient and wait.

In general, wet is better for a cat needing to lose weight, so if you think your cats don't pay attention to dry (but I'd guess they do, and you're not aware, otherwise where is the weight coming from?), just don't leave any out and see what happens.
[notify]

Queenie

I want it and I- WILL get it!

Purred: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:15pm PST 
It's Queenie. I don't think you are too fat, Marley but your sibling Sidney is a porker! So maybe you should both diet? Our vet said that a cat should not be put on a drastic weight loss diet until they are at least 12 months old. I am pretty fat [no recent pictures on my site, my person has camera problems] but she is waiting until August when we will be a year old. Fluff on the other hand is still a long thin string bean so she is still pushing kitten chow on him. My problem is that I still eat like I am a stray cat burning lots of calories and getting infrequent meals, and they see me eating 4-5 times a day.

You might still have a growth spurt in there and become less round. My person heard that the really early spay/neuter had bad effects on kitty metabolisms, so she waited until we were nearly 6 mos. old. Fortunately neither of us were too advanced that way, although someone saw Fluff trying to mount me and he got done far sooner than me! I'm a good girl, I am! wink
[notify]

Marley

Mommy's Big- Kitten

Purred: Thu Jun 12, '08 7:15pm PST 
Now why did you have to tell Mommy to give me less food? She gave us a little dry food in the morning and a little more tonight but the bowl is usually full!

Oh well, I guess I'll just chew on the plants cry
[notify]

Aristotle- (2001-2010)

Along comes Mr.- Whitey

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 8:14am PST 
When Mommy got me from the HS of Ocean City, NJ, I had been kept in a cage with free dry food and wet food twice a day, and boy was I a little pork chop! Mommy feeds all of us on a schedule, 1/4 cup of adult dry food twice a day. But...before she did, she checked with the vet to make sure the amount was correct. Mommy says your Mommy should ask your vet before putting you on any kind of reduced calorie diet because you're still (technically) a kitten...good luck!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2