GO!

To Shave or not to Shave -- HELP!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shea

I'm a chirping- machine!

Purred: Thu Apr 24, '08 11:31am PST 
Mommy is considering getting me a lion cut but she is not sure. I am very comfortable at home but not so much when we have to go to the VET and she wonders if she wants it more for me or for her. I used to freak out at the clothes shaver so she is afraid I will freak out at the Groomer (and she would have them stop). I do tend to get a little messy in my butt hair area and she wipes me down periodically and I have gotten a few tiny mats that she can brush out. When my bro and I wrestle, my fur flies everywhere and Mom thinks it would be nice for the carpet to stay clean a full day. And here is where she is afraid she is being selfish...her boyfriend is allergic to me and my brothers and my hair floats EVERYWHERE.
[notify]

Morgan

I love Smokie!

Purred: Fri Apr 25, '08 12:48am PST 
Hi! My Momma is a cat groomer. She said to give you this message: What I usually tell people is that there are 2 main reasons to shave or not shave a cat. 1) The cat would be more comfortable. If your cat is matted, hates to groom himself, is overweight and can't reach, etc. you are probably doing him a favor by shaving him. 2) Allergies. If you or someone in your home is allergic to kitty, shaving is probably going to help you out immensly. When people say that they are allergic to cats what they are really allergic to is their dander, which is dried saliva. If the cat has no hair to groom, there won't be dried saliva in his fur, which means no allergies for us. Another way to get around this is regular bathing. Taking your cat to the groomer every few weeks for a simple bath will also help rid him of dander. Hope this helps. P.S. Don't worry about how he will act at the groomer. Most cats are much easier to work with at the groomer's than at home. You would be suprised....
[notify]

Shea

I'm a chirping- machine!

Purred: Fri Apr 25, '08 8:04am PST 
Thanks Morgan! Your post really made my Mom feel better. I do have a little problem with keeping my behind clean...
[notify]

Morgan

I love Smokie!

Purred: Mon Apr 28, '08 5:45pm PST 
No problem! So are you going to go for it?
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Tue Apr 29, '08 12:46am PST 
I just wanted to correct you... dander is skin flakes... not dried saliva. I'm not sure what you meant to say, but dander is definitely not dried saliva.
[notify]

Jessamine

Adore me.

Purred: Tue Apr 29, '08 7:32pm PST 
You look about as fluffy as I am. My human took me to a groomer to get the lion cut last year, but the groomer recommended against shaving me. Instead, the groomer gave me a bath and a really good brushing, and gave my human instructions on how to better take care of me.

I do get the fur around my butt and on the back of my legs trimmed by my vet, however.

Whether you should shave or not probably depends on your particular situation, but for me, one big problem was that my human was using the wrong kind of hairbrushes and not really brushing out my undercoat, so I'd get all matted. The groomer recommended Millers Forge type undercoat rakes for me, and said that my human should brush me more often. She also recommended occasional baths in lukewarm water containing just a drop of Dove dishwashing soap.

This has worked well for us so far.
[notify]

Morgan

I love Smokie!

Purred: Fri May 2, '08 8:39pm PST 
Khina-
You are confused. Dander IS dried saliva. Trust me, I went to school to be a groomer. You are thinking of DANDRUFF, which skin flakes.
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Sat May 3, '08 9:56pm PST 
Morgan -

Wow. I've just never heard that before. According to all the dictionary web sites and other sites that came up in a google for "cat dander definition" they all say that dandruff and dander is the same thing. This is the closest thing I could find to what you're talking about:

http://www.messybeast.com/c atfacts.htm

Relatively few people are allergic to cat hair itself. Most allergies are caused by proteins in cat dander (dandruff) which is made up of skin flakes and dried saliva from where a cat washes itself.

Other than that all the dictionaries say that dander is:

http://www.yourdictionary.co m/dander
dan┬Ěder (dan′dər)

noun

1. tiny particles, as from feathers, skin, or hair, that may cause allergies

Maybe in grooming school they taught you that dander is a combination of saliva and skin?
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Tue May 6, '08 6:30pm PST 
If you have bum issues just shaving around the rectal area helps with this. Thats what I get done.
[notify]

Shea

I'm a chirping- machine!

Purred: Tue May 13, '08 10:49am PST 
well Mom finally gave over and did it...she keeps saying I look really cute so maybe she will get some pictures of my cute self up! What she didn't know was that it would take ALL DAY LONG. Mom wasn't very happy about that...and I hissed at her and cried every time she picked me up...she cried too.cry

One other thing that REALLY bothered her is that the groomer trimmed my luscious whiskers...on one side. Griffin went with me and his whiskers weren't trimmed. DO groomers normally trim whiskers? Mine were about 3-4 inches long and now they ar e more like 1-2...frown

We aren't sure that we will do this again even though I am actually more active than I was...confused
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3