GO!

Safe flea treatment products for the home

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Moxie

Got Moxie?

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '08 2:33am PST 
It's that time of year for us - flea season! shock Every time this year, one particular room seems to get infested by fleas. It's the one room with carpet (the rest have hardwood, tile, etc) and it has a door leading to the backyard. I already did a search and found mention of a couple products like "De Flea Pet & Area Spray" but would like to get everyone's current opinion on SAFE and effective products for killing fleas and preventing new ones! Thanks! kitty
[notify]

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '08 9:08am PST 
For carpets I have heard that Borax works.... also salt, Diatomaceous Earth and I think baking soda. You have to let it sit in that carpet for a while before vacuuming it up. You can also plant certain plants right by the door to deter fleas from coming in.

I am having a problem with this also. Florida fleas are horrendous! My problem is that everyone is staying with a friend right now and they have a flea problem... really bad. I have the dogs on frontline (because it was just miserable for them) but my cats are so sensitive that I'm afraid to put that kind of stuff on them. And because of how expensive it is. I have tried natural things but I can't treat their whole house (because it is not mine) and so it never works. If you google natural flea treatments.... or however you want to word it... you will be able to find plenty of alternatives. GOOD LUCK!
[notify]

Trixie

Ms. Trix ... the- huntress

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 3:11pm PST 
This may be crazy....but...I AM!?

Maybe put a bit of advantage along the door line? Of corse keep kitty away from it until it dries........but I wonder if this would work?

I know it's kinda a crazy suggestion, but it's all I thought of because we don't have that sorta problem here :S
[notify]

♥- Brookelynn- Paige=^.^=

I Like People- They Clean Up My- Poop!

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 3:27pm PST 
Putting advantage on the door line seems like a good idea to me, but I dont use wet flea products that arent natural because Im always scared of a reaction or what if my puppy or even cat licks. How do they work? Do you part the hair down in between the shoulder blades and apply it to the skin and push the hair back?

For fleas I always use salt it cost under a $1.00 for a big container..so I sprinkle it on everything, sweep it into the carpet/chair with a soft bristle broom let it sit overnight and then vaccum up in the morning.

I had to do that when I first got Brookelynn because she was covered in fleasshock after i gave her a bath and put her down on the floors fleas that were still alive were hoping all over the floor.

Ugh..now that I think about it the best way to describe it is that promeris commercial/ad on catster

Thank goodness she doesnt have fleas nowcheer
[notify]

Trixie

Ms. Trix ... the- huntress

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 4:36pm PST 
MOL! Thanks I was really going for a long shot with my suggestion.

Advantage is a liquid that you apply at the base of the neck. So yup, you're right!

Salt works, eh? Maybe Mumsie will try and push that solution first, MOL.
[notify]

Iris

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 5:15pm PST 
This is perfect timing! Fortunately, I don't have a flea problem, but my brother does with his kitty. I had heard that brewer's yeast is a good natural treatment, but I don't have any direct experience with it. Anyone tried it? I'd like to give him some good recommendations and also keep them on file in case my lovely girls end up with fleas some day.

Thanks!
Alise and Iris

http://fatiris.blogspot.com
[notify]

Baby

Purred: Wed Apr 9, '08 5:15pm PST 
Is that regular table salt??
[notify]

Moxie

Got Moxie?

Purred: Mon Apr 14, '08 4:30pm PST 
I asked the trustworthy owner of my local pet store, which sells only the most premium pet foods and eco-friendly products, and he said that unfortunately if you already have fleas (and therefore eggs), the only thing that will work well is a chemical spray. He told me to block off the room that is being treated and make sure it's completely dry and aired out before letting my kitties back in. He said most of the natural products are repellents that can help deter an infestation but doesn't really get rid of of an existing one. I sprayed and so far so good. Now I need to figure out what natural deterents to use...

Edited by author Mon Apr 14, '08 4:32pm PST

[notify]