GO!

Cat litter- Whats in your box?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♔Gordy♔- DB#20

Gooshy Bear

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 11:21am PST 
Mom has been concerned about using Fresh step scoop-able lately.
It is really dusty and seems like it would be unhealthy for us.
We are trying to find a new kitty litter that isn't as dusty.
Any recommendations?
I tried swheat scoop once and didn't like it. It didn't absorb enough.
Thanks in advance
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 12:17pm PST 
We used to use Scoop Away until mom discovered that Arm & Hammer is a lot less dusty. She tried to switch us to Feline Pine Scoopable, but we hated it. So we're back on A&H.

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 1:26pm PST 
I use Scoop Away even though it is dusty. Every other brand we've tried (we've tried them all) smelled up the house.

You probably have to go with something like Yesterday's News if you don't want dust.
[notify]

Toffy

Head of- household

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 1:36pm PST 
Simplicity Pine is the litter that's currently in our boxes. It's not dusty at all and lasts a long time.
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 2:56pm PST 
Ever since the dirty weasels came to live with us I've been using wood stove pellets. We don't have any problems with odor and it is so so cheap! Less than $4 for 40lbs! We get ours at Menards for about $3.50 for the 40lb bag, but they're also at Home Depot and Fleet Farm and other places like that. My people weren't sure if I'd like it or not, but I stopped using my box of Swheat Scoop right away and used the ferrets' boxes. It's kind of a pain when I throw the pellets around on the floor, but my people just scoop them up and put them back in the box.

My people also weren't sure about keeping the box clean enough, but it's really pretty easy. The solids are scooped out daily and then every week and a half to two weeks she sifts out the unused pellets, throws out the sawdust (that's the stuff that has gotten wet - the pellets disintegrate into dust and it dries out very quickly) and wipes out the box. There aren't any globs of stuff stuck to the bottom like cement like there was with the scoopable stuff. Plus nothing ever goes to waste! If it's still in pellet form, it's clean.

The only drawback is the pellets that get on the floor. They're pretty big for the vacuum to get unless you use just the hose without an attachment (we have a Dyso n Slim which works great!). Other than that I think these are a perfect solution if your kitty would use them. There's NO dust, NO perfumes and NO worrying about clumps of dirty litter sticking to kitty.

Edited by author Sat Mar 8, '08 2:57pm PST

[notify]

Leaf

Must kick and- shred!

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 3:41pm PST 
We have been using Ever Clean litter. Mom needed something unscented for me because she uses cat attract sprinkles, which need to be used with unscented litter. This is the only unscented litter she could find! I have had litter box issues in the past, so she is nervous about switching litter. The cat attract works great though! Ever clean clumps really well and doesn't smell bad at all (absorbs odor). It has some antimicrobial stuff in it too. It is a little dusty, but only when mom puts new litter in. We are happy with it.
[notify]

Midnight Son

The Supreme- Grandmaster- Pukemeister

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 6:55pm PST 
I use a weird combination that Mom came up with when my brother was still around and he had breathing problems with the clay litters...

I use a mix of 2/3 Worlds Best Litter to 1/3 Swheatscoop with a few handfuls of Yesterdays News mixed in....This is flushable but Mom prefers to not flush it most of the time..The only problem is it does not clump instantly and it takes time to form biscuits for her to sccop out....
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 7:19pm PST 
I've used Tidy Cats, that's okay, I've also used Arm & Hammer Super Scoop, but that is too dusty for our liking. We also tried Fresh Step. We like the smell, and the fact that it comes in nice big buckets like Tidy Cats, now Mommy likes Arm & Hammer's Odor Alert. It's still kinda dusty, but she likes it cuz it changes colors, cuz she can't see very well, so the blue makes it easier for her to scoop
[notify]

Finn

NO FEAR!

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 7:59pm PST 
We use Clump N Flush. Its corn based, biodegradable, and you can flush it. It works really well. It clumps very well, controls odors and doesn't stick to the litter box. All four paws up for it!
[notify]

Felix

Handsome Devil

Purred: Sat Mar 8, '08 8:19pm PST 
We have a base of Tidy Cats with Cat Attrack litter on top. After a while it gets mixed in, but it's ok with us.

Tidy cat isn't too dusty, and mom uses the cat attract for me.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4