GO!

Neutered cat spraying.

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
manolo- blahnik

Live life to the- fullest!!!

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 5:18pm PST 
So, my 3 year old male neutered cat has just started spraying about 2-3 weeks ago. First he sprayed my sugar canister on my kitchen counter, then about 3 days later I found more spray on my clean dishes that were drying on the counter. Today I found more urine on the sugar canister again. Nothing has changed in his life. He still eats the same food, same animals around inside the house and out, ect. I have no idea what to do. I just bought this stuff called feliaway..... so, I am hoping that does the trick. But just in case does anyone else have any ideas?? I really can't have him doing this since I am pregnant and am not supposed to be around cat urine. Please help! I really don't want to have to give him away.
[notify]

Skittles

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 5:28pm PST 
I totally understand, our cat skittles who is a 1 year neutered male has just randomly started spraying in the past week. We've never had a problem with any of our cats before and it really is disgusting and annoying. We called the vet and the only thing they suggested was a diffuser, however someone my mom talked to said it didnt work for her cat so i really dont know what to do. he sprayed and ruined two of my pillows but other than that he sprays two other walls. any suggestions?? confused
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '08 6:43pm PST 
To be VERY honest, even though Feliway is a common suggestion on the Forums and Answers pages, I've never found that it works. And, Rescue Remedy is a tranquilizer that even people can take. I took it one time at bed time and was in the Twilight Zone for the whole next day...could remember everyone else's name but not my own. cloud 9 Once it wears off, it's gone and the behavior is still there. But one thing I have heard of that works is Prozac in kitty doses, prescribed by a vet. That means even if YOU are taking it and have a bottle in your medicine cupboard, don't give it to your kitty. Don't scoff--I've heard of people doing this and then complaining on how much it cost to bury their cat. shock
Marking their territory is only one reason cats spray. Their little feelings get hurt very easily and that's (literally) how they tell you they're peed off. confused This is a deliberate act of their's and if you really examine what's going on, you can usually figure out what's upsetting them. It could even be that they're bored! A friend's cat used to urinate on her and her husband's bed pillows and they didn't discover it until they lay down on them. eek It might be possible to get more information by googling male cat spraying urine and see what you find. I'm so lucky. All Izzie does is put marbles in our shoes!
[notify]

manolo- blahnik

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 1:56pm PST 
So, I have a new question. He has been spraying our dishes that are on the counter. Is running them through the dishwasher enough?? Are we going to get sick?? Do we need to throw them out??
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '08 9:43am PST 
Cat pee is like concentrated human pee, so running them in the dishwasher would be enough to kill the enzymes, I would think. One thing, though: if he is aiming for the sink, is it possible that he has a URI? Because when cats find that it hurts to pee in their litterbox, rather than admit defeat or illness, they will find a substitute like a kitchen sink or a bathtub. They see water flowing down when we turn faucets on, so they think "ok, maybe a place to pee for the humans?".

I would take your kitty to the vet and have them rule out a urinary infection before going the feliway route, because if a urine problem is the cause, nothing you throw at the cat for behavior will work...
[notify]

Buddha- Mittens

Meow if you want- outside!!

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '08 4:39pm PST 
We agree with Boris...You need to first take kitty to the vet and make sure there is nothing wrong with him. I spray once and awhile. I haven't done it in sometime...mommy's knocking on wood right now...There was nothing wrong with me. We use Feliway in the house and it seems to work. We also use rescue remedy. Mommy puts a few drops in the water and we drink it all day. We found with me it was more a behavioral issue that I wasn't getting enough attention for my liking. Another thing could be a cat roaming around the neighborhood in your territory. Sometimes when we see kitties outside we mark out territory inside.

Good Luck
[notify]

MacBeth

Tomorow and- Tomorow and- Tomorow

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '08 5:10pm PST 
My mother had a male cat that was neutered and use to spray all the time. Mostly on her dad's tires. He could smell the other cats that would rub up against his tires and he was marking them as his own. And he would spray in mothers room if there was another cat in there. It didn't matter if he lived with the cat or not, her room was his room and no other cat could be in there. The cats spraying could be a dominance thing. He could be trying to keep the other animals away from what he perceives as his.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '08 5:31pm PST 
There isn't any need to throw away your dishes. Urine washes off. If you're worried because of your pregnancy, the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis is spread through feces, not urine.

Boris is right, a trip to the vet is definitely in order.

manolo- blahnik

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '08 8:48am PST 
Thank you all for your input. To answer someones question about the sink. He is not aiming for the sink. He is aiming at the back of the wall all across my counter tops. I have found new pee all over my toaster and had to throw it out, all over the can opener, the blender, and my spice rack. He literally spraying anything and everything that is sitting on my counter tops. I have bought the feliaway and also a special pet cleaner to make sure I am getting rid of the smell. So far it seems to be working but now what I dont know is if it is actually stopping him or if he has went somewhere else to spray where the feliaway is not at. I have thought about taking him to vet so I called and they said it doesnt sound like an infection and to try the behavioral stuff first and then if that didn't work to bring him in.
[notify]

manolo- blahnik

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '08 8:54am PST 
So, we are taking monolo to the vet on tues because the eeing has gotten way worse. We are now finding it everywhere! So, keep your paws crossed for monolo. I hate to say this but I am kinda hoping it is a urniary tract infection so we can fix it and be done with this problem.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2