GO!

Small flat dark dry scale on chin

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pi

Elfin Magic

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '08 4:31pm PST 
Pi has small dark flakes on her chin. They are flat and dry. It is not flea fecal matter. I first noticed it a couple of months ago, very tiny spot, but it has grown in irregular spots on her chin, up to her lip on one side.

We can't afford to go to the vetrinarian until next month. Has anyone have any experience with this?
[notify]

Sebastian

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '08 4:43pm PST 
Could possibly be kitty acne. I have that too sometimes when mom uses the wrong kind of bowls. It can also because by food allergies. If it is that they will give you a bottle of a topical cream to put on it. It does not cost a whole lot (dont remember the exact cost).
[notify]

Cosette

*squeak*

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '08 7:37pm PST 
I agree that it may be acne. This can happen if you use plastic food and water bowls, because bacteria builds up on them. You can try switching to ceramic or stainless steel. I have also seen antimicrobial plastic bowls at Petco, but have no idea if they work. You may also want to wash the bowls more often.

Hope it clears up!
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '08 9:20pm PST 
Definitely sounds like feline acne to me! I had it when I was younger, it started out as a lot of dark flakes and then I started developing little pustules that would break open and ooze and bleed. Not fun! frown

The vet prescribed ointment, but it didn't help much. The acne finally went away once mom switched us from plastic dishes to glass. I haven't had a problem with it since (almost 10 years)!
kitty

Pi

Elfin Magic

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '08 8:19pm PST 
Thank you for your postings. I use ceramic and glass bowls. I give them fresh water at least 4 times a day and wash out all the bowls every week with soap and hot water. Two of my six cats (Pi and Little Doll) have the dark flakeys spots, Pi worse than Little Doll. Perhaps it is a food allegy or a combination of acne and allergy.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '08 2:01pm PST 
Some ceramic glazes can harbor bacteria the way plastic does. You might try switching to glass or stainless steel exclusively.

Pi

Elfin Magic

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '08 3:41am PST 
Since my last post, I've washed all the kitty dishes -- swabbed them out with hydrogen peroxide, washed with hot soapy water, rinsed well, and replaced the scrubbies used on their dishes! I'll soon be replacing the ceramic water dish.

I've also used a pad with water and hydrogen peroxide on the affected area, which has, much to my relief, stopped spreading.

Thank you so much for all the good suggestions!
[notify]