GO!

Going blind

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kittanna

World's Loudest- Purrrrrrer

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 9:28am PST 
I was diagnosed with a cataract in my left eye
about two years ago. The vet said it would be a
slow process and I'd only need to go to my
regular yearly checkups... nothing additional
yet. Mama has begun to notice if she reaches for
me from my left, I don't see her hand anymore.
This is faster than she was led to believe. Is it
just her hand I can't see? Maybe I can still make
out light and dark? She's gotten a little scared
that if I'm playing or something and something
gets close to my eye, I won't close it to avoid
getting hurt. I didn't even blink when she put her
hand up to me. The vet had said surgery might
be necessary, but ONLY if the lens hardened and
became a problem... but if I get hurt what will
happen?

Any kitties out there who can give mama some
advice on dealing with a partially blind cat? She's
learned to play with me with my toys from the
side I can see on and she knows she's not to
rearrange any furniture or anything... any other
things she needs to know?
[notify]

♥- Angel - ♥

Kissy-face ...- wiggle paws

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 11:00am PST 
hugHi Kittannahug

here are some sites your Mom can check out ...

Cataracts
Cataracts commonly occur in animals and can strike pets of all ages. Causes of cataracts in pets include metabolic disorders such as diabetes mellitus, inherited tendencies such as is seen in the Bichon Frise dog, and degenerative retinal diseases.

Treatment of cataracts requires surgery, performed by a veterinary ophthalmologist. Surgery for correction of cataracts requires special training in a technique called phaecoemulsion. In this operation, a thin probe is introduced into the cataract through a very small incision. High frequency sound waves produced by the probe break down the cataract much the same way as kidney stones in people are broken down. Post-operatively, the patient experiences minimal discomfort and quickly restored vision in the operated eye. Once operated on, cataracts do not recur.

Cataracts are curable. Success rates for cataract surgery are 90-95% in properly selected pet patients. Selection of pets who would benefit from cataract surgery is performed by a veterinary ophthalmologist, after your veterinarian diagnoses the condition and arranges a referral exam and consultation.

http://www.marvistavet.com/assets/images/autoge n/Cataracts_Hs3.gif

Learn more about cat behavior, cat-related products and other cat topics at http://www.felineinfo.com/blog

Eye Problems in Cats
Blind cats. Sudden onset blindness. Spontaneous Iris Melanosis. Eye infections. Eye wash for cat ... the best source of health advice for an individual pet. ...
www.vetinfo4cats.com/cateye.html - 77k - Cached

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkwJvN3lHXdcAedhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTFh Y2dxOHE0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTQEY29sbwNzazEEdnRpZANZUzE5OF84MgRsA1dTMQ-- /SIG=11rh50bpc/EXP=1199212783/**http%3a//www.vetinfo4cats.com/cateye .html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-for-Living-With-a-Blin d-Cat&id=797456

our Mum's friend had a very old female German Shepherd who was deaf and blind, and the dear doggie managed to get about very well as long as no furniture was moved ...

good luck with finding helpful advice - and treatment ... hug

Angel and Merlin
[notify]

Kittanna

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 11:06am PST 
Thank you Angel and Merlin! Mama never asked the vet what was
causing this. I'm healthy otherwise so it's not diabetis or anything...
but I am almost 10 years old (that hurts to admit). Mama will check
these out and be sure to ask what has caused this... she's guessing
genetics...
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 12:11pm PST 
Sometimes cataracts can be removed. My good friend Morgan had cataracts removed from his eyes at Cornell. Now he can see everyting smile Perhaps you can ask Morgan more about cataracts.
[notify]

Alfiechinaca- t - UK

Flip...Ded Gud- Innit !!

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 12:14pm PST 
Hya Kittana , Me mum sed Yer natural instinct ( Eye Lashes)shud make yer blink before yer eye gets touched by anyfing. Our Blind boy,s eye lashes, did get his blink responses workin. He was diabetic too, He was abawt 11yrs old. Blindness can bring out senses ..hearing is normally Very keen .Whiskers as well. Hope yu is ok. Sendin me purrs to yu. Purrs Alfie

Edited by author Mon Dec 31, '07 12:15pm PST

[notify]

Kittanna

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 12:34pm PST 
Thanks Merlin and Alfie. ^~~^

My hearing might get stronger? That's going to be fun... MOL! That's
the one issue I have... I already overreact to sudden noises... hehe.
Mama thinks it's funny most times cuz I jump so high! Mama hopes
the lashes do the trick... day before yesterday was the first time
she'd checked and I didn't react when she put her hand up at my
face... she thought she'd caught my whiskers and such, but maybe
not...

I know Morgan and have read about his surgery. The vet said unless
the lens hardened and caused problems, I wouldn't need surgery.
Mama has always keeps check on my right eye and there's nothing in
it. The vet said it's likely I'd only lose vision in the one eye.
[notify]

MORTICIA

MomKatt's Black- Dahlia!

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 1:48pm PST 
Kitanna:

I and my sibs go to a cats only practice (vet) ... I can see if MomKatt can call them on Wed. 1/2/08 when she gets to work & ask about their advice on surgery, etc. if you like. Also I PMailed you!

Love
Morticia

PS - I hope you solve this so you can see 100% Cataracts ARE curable, that much I do know (well, MomKatt does. MOL)
[notify]

MORTICIA

MomKatt's Black- Dahlia!

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 1:48pm PST 
Kitanna:

I and my sibs go to a cats only practice (vet) ... I can see if MomKatt can call them on Wed. 1/2/08 when she gets to work & ask about their advice on surgery, etc. if you like. Also I PMailed you!

Love
Morticia

PS - I hope you solve this so you can see 100% Cataracts ARE curable, that much I do know (well, MomKatt does. MOL)
[notify]

Mr. Fez- (Angel- Dreamboat- #25)

Hippie Kitty

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 9:33pm PST 
I have cataracts and sent you a paw mail.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 10:31pm PST 
This is Delyte. I have cataracts which started when I was about 10 but are progressing very slowly. I don't have diabetes and was not an outdoor cat, so it is just an old age thing. Mine appear to be symmetrical and I can still see okay but not detail. So far so good. We have a doggie friend who had both of his cataracts done and he can see wonderfully and looks great too in his Christmas pictures! Purrs to you!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3