GO!

Malnourished Kitten

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Belle

Belly Boop Boop

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '07 8:10am PST 
My mom's little sister just adoped a new kitty from the local animal shelter. After having the kitten for a couple of days my mom's sister seems to think that the kitty may be/may have been malnourished b/c she is skinny, doesn't eat much which equals doesn't potty much and when the kitty does potty it is watery. How can we tell if the kitten is/has been malnourished and what should we do about it? Thanks!
[notify]

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '07 8:24am PST 
Has the kitty been checked for worms? That may be one of the first things you will want to do. To get the kitty to eat, there are some meal replacements out there like KMR (kitten milk mix) and some other things you can find at a pet store to get some vitamins in the body. And of course, you will want to find a high quality food to make the kitty healthy again. Some suggestions are Orijen, Innova EVO and Felidae. (there are many more) And if the kitty will allow it, try feeding mostly wet food to ensure there is enough water intake. Foods like Innova EVO are all life stages meaning kittens to seniors can eat it. A trip to the vet may be the first thing, but after that look into a high quality food to ensure that the kitty is getting all the nutrients to grow strong. Sometimes if animals are stressed (like just being placed into a new home or being in a kennel) their immune systems may be suppressed and they can also get diarrhea.

Overall-
~ Trip to the vet
~ Find a good high quality food way to go
[notify]

Princess- Sophie- Florida

I rule this- kingdom!

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '07 8:49am PST 
So glad kitty has found a furrever home and just in time for the holidays too! Absolutley take kitty in to the vet for a checkup!
Her vet will be able to determine if there is anything wrong, and supply any needed medications. Don't rely on the over the counter meds you find in the stores! Only a vet can safely treat and diagnose any conditions that kitty may have. It is always reasurring to me to have my vet look at my kitties head to toe and know they are really o.k. and nothing has been overlooked!
Purrs, Sophie and Charlita
[notify]

Belle

Belly Boop Boop

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '07 12:05pm PST 
Thanks for the responses! We have been feeding the new kitty cat's milk, science diet (this is the food he was eating at the pound), and a high quality canned food. We got him from the local shelter so he is caught up on his shots and was even nuetered last thurs. but we do need to take him to our vet for a quick check up. He seems to be happy in his new home b/c he is busy getting into everything ....like the Christmas tree. He seems to be getting along great with the other fur babies too. We were just concerned b/c he is skinny, a finacky eater and not exactly firm stools. We will keep working on him and hopefully he will be healthy and plump soon enough!! Thanks again.
[notify]

Mason

Purred: Sat Dec 22, '07 5:40am PST 
Also, keep in mind, the kitten is probably a LOT more active in his new home than he was at the pound, so he's probably not used to eating as much in general. I'd leave out kibble for him and feed him some moist 3 to 4 times a day to help him get to eating good. As he puts on weight, decrease the number of feedings but increase the amount of food per feeding.

The important thing is that he is eating. When we first brought Merlin home, my brother, he wouldn't eat for like 3 or 4 days. He just hid under the bed. Mommy brought him some catnip and boy, he was a different cat after that!
[notify]

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 12:18pm PST 
Science diet is NOT a good food IMO... cats in shelters get it because vets are brainwashed by the reps who sell it/and they realistically don't have money to feed higher end foods. Try feeding 70 or 100 cats Innova EVO or Orijen and it'll eat you into the poor house or have you put out into the street.frown

Edited by author Fri Dec 28, '07 5:21pm PST

[notify]

♥- Apache

Smile and the- world smiles- with you

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 12:42pm PST 
Are you a company rep for them?

It seems all your posts lead to recommendations for those two foods, and negatives for any others.

shrug

I just find it unusual?
[notify]

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:14pm PST 
Nope, I'm just spreading the word about the 'TRUTH!' behind the mask, I've read book like Food pets die for.. along with Dr Pitchairns Natural Health for dogs and cats. smile In her book ( food pets die for) she targets big companys like Purina and Nessle along with the Iams and Science Diet/ reveals the truth.

Edited by author Fri Dec 28, '07 5:19pm PST

[notify]

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:16pm PST 
OH!!! you mean Innova Evo and Orijen!cheercheercheercheer nope I don't think those biz make the $$$ to hire reps like Iams and Science diet , but I guess I am promoting those two types, took me awhile to notice THATS what you meant.laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Dec 28, '07 5:18pm PST

[notify]

Mason

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:30pm PST 
I used to be a rep for Blue Buffalo. I still recommend it on occasion, but mostly if the cat has certain issues. I know it worked for my cat that threw up a lot. Innova is now doing just as good for her, but EVO was way too rich.

I haven't heard the Guest say anything negative about other super good foods. It's hard to list every single good food cause there are quite a bit. I usually only list those I've tried or am familiar with.

I work at Petco, and when talking to people about food like Iams, I say it's a good rescue brand. When you have a lot of dogs or cats to feed, that's a good food cause it's reasonably okay quality for a decent price. When you have only 1 pet, hopefully you can afford something a bit better.

Also, a lot of large rescue groups get Science Diet donated to them. We are near a vet school and I think a lot of the local rescues have an agreement with Hills at the vet school so they get the food for next to nothing.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2