GO!

Leaving kitty with family while gone for four days

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

mittens

Purred: Fri Nov 16, '07 8:12am PST 
We are going away for Thanksgiving for 4-5days. I have nobody nearby that can help look in on our kitty. My Mom will watch her at her house. How will kitty do at a new house in a room all to herself for those days? Will she be really stressed. I am going to bring all her toys and blanket,etc. Thanks.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Fri Nov 16, '07 11:07pm PST 
Has she ever been to your mom's house before? Because if not that's gonna be a big shock. Is there any way you can take her there beforehand so she can at least get familiar with the surroundings? You might even want to drop her off the day before you leave, and stay overnight to reassure her that everything is fine.

Mommy says she feels for her and you. She has to leave me home for Thanksgiving (dad's friend is gonna come over and feed me and play with me every day, though), and while she feels bad about not being able to bring me along (mom and dad are going to grandma's, and the resident cat there gets upset easily with other animals around, so I can't go along), she'd feel even worse if she had to leave me somewhere unfamiliar, even if she knew I was getting the best care ever.

Other catsters seem to swear by having their humans sleep on a baby blanket so the blanket smells like their human. That way, they say, if your kitty gets lonely for you, she will have one item that makes her feel like you're there with her.
[notify]

mittens

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '07 4:59am PST 
Thanks Boris for giving me an answer. No, she has never been there and we are going to bring her the day before we are leaving. We are packing a blanket that she loves to sleep on with her scratch pad, mousy and her box that she loves to sit in. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks.
[notify]

♥- Firefly

The- Power of- Three

Purred: Mon Nov 19, '07 3:40pm PST 
Good luck, Mittens...

We've offered to babysit before, but it hasn't happened yet....Let us know how it works out for you??

♥Firefly & Family
[notify]

Jedi

Who needs the- outdoors?!

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 10:29am PST 
There are three kitties in our family and our parents have left for 2 weeks but we do is not move from our home (the most familiar environment and the most comforting ). Cat-loving neighbors came and visited once a day or every other day and waited on us,making sure the catbox is ok and there was food and freshwater. These servants do open the door for us to go out for a while each visit and let us back in again. On the 2 week absence, another nice person came and stayed for 3 nights during the 2 weeks and also our parents human daughter came to spend a day 2 nights on weekends. Also the housecleaner came and cleaned one day , a routine we knew and gave us additional company.
It worked out fine. We did love -up our parents when they came back .
[notify]

Jedi

Who needs the- outdoors?!

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 10:30am PST 
There are three kitties in our family and our parents have left for 2 weeks but we do is not move from our home (the most familiar environment and the most comforting ). Cat-loving neighbors came and visited once a day or every other day and waited on us,making sure the catbox is ok and there was food and freshwater. These servants do open the door for us to go out for a while each visit and let us back in again. On the 2 week absence, another nice person came and stayed for 3 nights during the 2 weeks and also our parents human daughter came to spend a day 2 nights on weekends. Also the housecleaner came and cleaned one day , a routine we knew and gave us additional company.
It worked out fine. We did love -up our parents when they came back .
[notify]