GO!

Anyone concerned about Blue Buffalo?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Callie

It's *so* tough- being a Callie- Cat.

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 8:20pm PST 
Mom is turning into Mulder from the X-Files lately.

Is anyone still eating Blue Buffalo? Mom bought us a 3 lb. bag to try last Saturday. She was planning on buying a larger bag this weekend, since we like it, but then she found concerns about menadione being in Blue Buffalo food.

What are we going to eat now? We liked Blue Buffalo... though Skittles turned his nose up at it at first... and Mom liked getting a trading card in the bag. frown

Many purrs.

-- Callie
[notify]

Hopper

Get outta my- space!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 2:34pm PST 
Really? Where did you hear about this being in the Blue Buffalo food?
[notify]

Maggie May

fix your feline!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 5:14pm PST 
What??? WHAT??

My doggie sisters eat this and my mom is absolutely freaking now. Where did you hear this? Anyone else heard anything about BB?
[notify]

Abby Angel- at Rainbow- Bridge

Guardian- Angel

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 9:31pm PST 
Menadione is a synthetic form of vitamin K (K3) that has been found to be toxic. The source saying that menadione is in Blue Buffalo dog food (and possibly Blue Spa cat food) is here (scroll down, it's near the bottom of the page):

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Since the FDA prohibits it's use in pet foods, Blue Buffalo should have taken it out -- although there may be older cans/bags of food out there. Check your labels. The easiest way to find out whether menadione is in your dog's (or cat's) food is by reading the label (Vitamin K or K3 supplement or menadione).

The FDA's food status safety list has menadione as revoked for use as a supplement in human or pet food (p. 48):

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~acrobat/opa-appa.pdf

About Menadione:

Menadione: Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menadione

See Vitamin K
http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/11/07/06.html

On eMedicine website:

"Vitamin K
This particular toxicity is typically associated with formula-fed infants or those receiving synthetic vitamin K-3 (menadione) injections. Because of its toxicity, menadione is no longer used for treatment of vitamin K deficiency.

Effects may include jaundice in newborns, hemolytic anemia, and hyperbilirubinemia.

Toxicity also blocks the effects of oral anticoagulants."

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic638.htm
[notify]

Fagin

I'm a thief!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 10:27pm PST 
Well, this is just great! Mommy bought a bag of the Blue Spa Select for me to try tonight, and now she has to read this! My bag does indeed list "Vitamin K Supplement" as the second to last ingredient. This is so frustrating.

Edited by author Wed Apr 4, '07 10:32pm PST

[notify]

Maggie May

fix your feline!

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 7:52am PST 
Abby, thanks so much for your very informative post.

I'm very angry about this and I"m going to email BB right now. I will let you know what they have to say for themselves.
[notify]

Winter

Did I just hear- the treat jar- rattle?

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 8:52am PST 
Is this new info with regards to the recall or has this always been in BB? Now I am worried because this is all my cats eat. Please keep us poseted on what BB says!!!!
[notify]

Fagin

I'm a thief!

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 10:59am PST 
The thing I don't understand is that "Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity" is listed on the back of the Nutro Natural Choice bag (third to bottom ingredient), and I looked into Newman's Own and it's listed there as well. From what I am finding so far, it seems that even though medadione is a synthetic (artificial) form of Vitamin K, it is still found in pet foods that are being sold as 'all natural'. confused
[notify]

Abby Angel- at Rainbow- Bridge

Guardian- Angel

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 11:01am PST 
Blue Buffalo is not part of the Menu Foods recall and is not made by Menu foods.

I'm not very familiar with Blue Buffalo or Blue Spa, but the article suggests that the Vitamin K has been in the food for awhile.

I am also very interested in what BB tells you.
[notify]

Sebastian

Batty

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '07 11:51am PST 
My family has 2 dogs and 5 cats and Blue Buffalo is all we've been feeding them for years. Both the wet and dry food. None of them have ever had any strange medical conditions and our vet is the one who reccommended it for them. But we're interested in hearing what they have to say about this issue.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6