GO!

ANIMAL ASSISTED THERAPY- I'm going to be a therapy cat!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Oliver

Lil Love- Bug-*poot*

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '07 2:47pm PST 
I am sooo excited! cheer My Mommy has been talking to a really nice person at the ASPCA and I am going to begin to learn to become a Therapy Cat! We have to take the home study course from the Delta Society and then be evaluated by our local ASPCA. We are just dying to know and meet any other cats that have done the home study course!!!! We would love advice, etc. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!applause
[notify]

Diesel

PURRRRRRRRRR....

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '07 10:26am PST 
What a great thing to do Ollie applause You Rock!!
[notify]

Meisha

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '07 1:29pm PST 
My brothers and I are going to be therapy cats, but we have to be a year old before we can actually go visit with anyone. To keep us willing to meet new people and face new places, Mommy and Daddy take us out A LOT! We go to Petsmart every Saturday, where we are held and cooed over by strangers. We meet and greet dogs, some of whom have never seen a cat before, so sometimes it is a bit scarey.

Mommy and Daddy brush us every day, while we sit on their laps. Mommy was told this is often a favorite activity for people who are visited by therapy animals, they tend to enjoy "taking care of" the animal who is there. Brushing is so relaxing for us, so I can see why someone would want to do it!! We will sit for a brushing for a long time!!

Did you know that up here in Oregon they even have therapy Llamas!? Mommy thought that was absolutely funny!!
[notify]

Oliver

Lil Love- Bug-*poot*

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '07 3:36pm PST 
Thank you so much for your reply. My parents are preparing as best they can right now - we are waiting for the course book from the Delta Society to arrive. The ASPCA has told us what you said...we have to be able to sit in the laps of three strangers, be comfortable around dogs for a short period of time, and be comfortable around medical equiptment. The dog dog thing may be a big problem for me...I tend to shake around them. Eek. Thank you for the brushing advice! Good idea. As soon as it gets warmer around here, they will take me out a lot more. I will keep my paws crossed!!! dancing
[notify]

Wally♥Forever Loved

Sophie\\\'s- Forever Love

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '07 4:12pm PST 
waveHey Ollie Pop
How cool! You are such a sweetie,we are sure you are going to be great.
dancingdancingdancingdancing

We have our paws crossed for you little dude!

applausebig grinhaildancing
[notify]

Casey

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '07 7:58pm PST 
Meisha forgot to tell you that you can get comfortable around medical equipment by visiting the vet regularly!! YIKES!!! Is what we first thought, but they have all sorts of medical equipment that makes funny noises. If your vet is really cool, he will turn it all on and let it whir for you once in awhile.

The vacuum is another thing that helps. Have your mommy or daddy run the vacuum as often as the can. That is the worst noise I know!! No, I take that back. I heard TRAFFIC noise when I went to be neutered!! THAT was scarey!! Anyway, have your mommy get you around a lot of different loud noises often enough that you are not scared, or so scared, by them.

If dogs is a problem, then have your mommy and daddy take you to PetsMart or Pet on a regular basis. There will probably at least 1 dog there willing to say hi and take the time to see if you an interesting friend. You have to remember, dogs are big, but you have CLAWS!! >^..^<

Casey
[notify]

Oliver

Lil Love- Bug-*poot*

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '07 1:53pm PST 
Thank you everycat! That's so funny you said that about the vaccum cleaner! Mom was thinking the same thing! I had a "stranger" visit today and did pretty good! AND we thought...hmmm, medical equiptment...maybe we should take some field trips to the vet! Great advice! cheer We just can't wait for spring to arrive to get me out and about to meet and greet dogs and people!!!! cheer
[notify]