GO!

perineal urethrostomy surgery

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

MickeyBadCat

I am...- MICKEYBADCAT!

Purred: Sat Jan 27, '07 3:18pm PST 
MickeyBadCat blocked his urethra for the second time in 2 weeks today. He's at the emergency vet, and they suggested we do a perineal urethrostomy on him. It seems like the best option. Does anyone have any experience with it? We're all upset, so if anyone knows anything about it it would be helpful. Thanks!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Jan 27, '07 4:03pm PST 
So sorry you are having urinary blockages. Here is a recent thread about PU surgery.
http://www.catster.com/forums/Cat_Health/thread/375810
[notify]

Tiger ILM- '97-'10

Purred: Sat Jan 27, '07 7:25pm PST 
I had that surgery but didn't remember what it was called. I'm doing great. The vet said my "plumbing" is more similar to a female cat *shudders* but no one can tell and I'm the same as I was before only no straining and being sick. It does take about 3 months to completely heal, for the draining to cease and for complete control to be re-established. Mom was a trooper and helped me stay clean during that time. It's been at least 3 years, maybe more and I've had no blockage since. It's not all that bad and it's a life saver - literally.
[notify]