GO!

Beware of Hartz!!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Maizy

Dogs Drool!!

Purred: Sat Dec 16, '06 8:48pm PST 
Hey kitties, some of ya'll might've seen this posted in Dogster's Dog Health forums, but I just wanted to warn my fellow catster users,too. I did not type up the dogster one, but I am now well educated about the dangers of Hartz pet medications.

Go to HartzVictims.org and you will see what I am talking about. Scroll down on the first page and you will see the effect the flea collars have on one cat.

Please, I advise you, if you are using Hartz flea/tick collars, or any of their medications, please stop. Many cats and dogs have been killed by this or almost died. It is important for all of ya'll to know that, and I strongly reccomend visiting that site above for your pet's safety.
[notify]

Caterina

What did you buy- me?!?!

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 7:46am PST 
Yes guys really this is no joke!!!! This is very serious please go to the website and dont use hartz!!!! My mom just finished getting rid of all those products!!!
[notify]

T.J.

World- DOMINATION!!!!!!- !!!

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 7:47am PST 
It even effects Humans!!!!!
[notify]

Sable - Rest in- peace

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 8:25am PST 
Thanks so much for the website. Last year Sable had a reaction to a flea medication that we put on all five of our cats, fortunately it wasn't anything too serious and she's ok now. We aren't able to use any kind of flea medication on Sable now because she reacts to all of them, She reacts stronger to the Hartz medications. We haven't used anything else since, and ESPECIALLY not Hartz ANYTHING.
Thanks again.
Purrs,
Sable (and her person)
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 9:39am PST 
This has been posted before, but it's always a good reminder for us kitties and our humans. Another one that is dangerous is BioSpot. The dangers are when there are Permethrins in the product. These are very dangerous for cats nad many dogs. Do not use these products if there is a cat in the household, as the cat may groom the treated dog and become ill.
permethrin and pyrethrin toxicity
permethrins

To be safe, use only those products your vet will sell you...Advantage, Frontline or Revolution.
You may think you are saving money by using the other brands, but in the long eun, you'll spend more $$ in vet bills and potentially lose a family member.
[notify]

Gerard

Turbo icepack- with an attitude

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 10:09am PST 
None of us wear Hartz collars or have gotten any H meds b/c Meowmy says it is bad for us..we do love some Hartz toys, specially the mice (just the right size) Meowmy has heard there's no danger with toys so she gets them for us..any contraindications there?

Edited by author Sun Dec 17, '06 10:10am PST

[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 10:15am PST 
Gerard,
I have never heard of anything wrong w/ the toys that Hartz makes.
[notify]

Maizy

Dogs Drool!!

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 12:06pm PST 
Yes, we only use Frontline and the meds that our vet recommends. Thanks for the sites, Hunter! That is important to know, too.

I think that, if you look on the Hartz victims site, I think it said something about the toys. But, I think it was like those fishing lines with the feathers. It said that the feathers come off easily and some cats get a hold of them and they choke on the feathers. I heard nothing about the mice toys, though, I think those are safe.

I didn't know they already posted a forum like this. Oh well, it is a good reminder. Thanks for the postings!
[notify]

Maizy

Dogs Drool!!

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 1:31pm PST 
Hey kitties! Thanks again for your posts! It took me a while to find this site, but I found an online petition to get Hartz off of the market! Here is the site: http://www.petitiononline.com/hartz/petition.html
Please sign this petition, for animals sake! I have never used Hartz, but from what I have heard, thousands of animals have been killed by it. So, please, lets help the animals of our future!
[notify]

Pippin

Can I have a- straw?

Purred: Sun Dec 17, '06 1:34pm PST 
my mommy's personal opinion is that she does not buy anything hartz makes, even toys, so she does not support the company.
they're supposed to be relabling their products with a different warning (that will be fine print, i'm sure) but as far as i know, they haven't gotten into any real trouble.
mom won't buy any flea and tick (or anything preventative, for the most part) products off store shelves. for one thing, many of those products (even frontline, advantage, or heartguard) are imported illegally and the content could be completely different than what the box says.
buy from your vet. on your vet's reccomendation according to your pet's size and what other pets are in your household.
(for example, there are two different sizes of feline advantage, and you wouldn't want to dose your six pound cat with the 10-18lb dose. or if your household has a dog, don't use k9 advantix on it because it's highly toxic to cats and even rubbing up against the dog could make the kitties sick.)

sorry if this post makes no sense. mom just gets steamed when she thinks about all the killing grocery store flea products do and how little is done about it.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3