GO!

SURGERY :(

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
DESTINY

SWEET BABY!

Purred: Fri Dec 15, '06 1:15pm PST 
My mommy is taking me to be spayed the day after Christmasfrown is it going to hurt? will i be ok? i'm so scared! I only a baby, geez! can any kitty out there tell me what i should expect afterwards?
thank you all and purrs for all!
[notify]

Shamrock

Mini Clover

Purred: Fri Dec 15, '06 1:43pm PST 
Oh wow! I'm going in for my spay the day after christmas too!

Human speaking now: She's young so she should recover wonderfully. At the shelter, we do alot of spays even younger than you are and they do great. Are they keeping her over night? They may send pain meds home depending on your vet (pumkin got pain meds which was surprising because he stayed overnight and is a boy). She should be fine though, a little tired but back to being her self in a couple days. Good luck and congrats on being spayed! You'll be a happier, healthier kitty because of it!
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Dec 15, '06 2:20pm PST 
Good luck to both of you. We will purrrr for you on 12/26.

As for the spaying, you will sleep through the whole thing. Try to focus on all of the extra treats and snuggles that you will get after.
[notify]

Summer - 5.30.02 - 10.19.12

Where's my- Daddy?!

Purred: Fri Dec 15, '06 2:23pm PST 
Good luck Destiny! It's not so bad. Your tummy will be a bit sore and you might be a bit woozy for a day or so, but you will back in shape in no time!!!!!
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Fri Dec 15, '06 8:48pm PST 
It's Stella. I got spayed in October and it was no problem. My person took me to the nasty place and they did something that made me sleep, and when I woke up my tummy hurt some, but they gave me something that made me sleepy so I slept most of the time. The next day my person came and got me and I was so glad to get home that I lept out of the carrier and just ran around. My person had to keep giving me the sleepy stuff for five days, but I didn't really need it and if anything it made me even more hyper. It all healed up and now my thick white fur is even thicker.

My person thought it would slow me down a bit, but no such thing! It's no big deal, Summer.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Dec 16, '06 9:06am PST 
The uterus and ovaries are removed and then the cat is sutured closed. There are internal sutures which keep everything inside and there are external sutures which keep the actual skin incision closed. You will need to keep the sutures in for 10-14 days. (The internal ones will dislove on thier own in several months time). If you lick or chew at them, you could get an infection (you'll need antibiotics) or you could pull them out (you'll need to be restitched). If you can't leave them alone, you'll need to wear an e-collar until the sutures are removed.
Many vets do not Rx pain meds for this procedure, but they should. All surgery has pain associated with it, so ask your vet for a few days worth of pain relief. The surgery is like a human woman going in for a hysterectomy, and we all know the MD's would Rx pain meds for us.
If you come home the same night (which I recommend unless you will be staying in a facility that has someone in the building 24/7), you may be a bit groggy until the anesthesia wears off completely. Usually worn off w/in 24 hours. You may not want to eat until the following day, which is fine, but if you do not eat or drink, then you need to let your vet know. Try to prevent as much jumping and running as possible (although we know with kittens this can be difficult). If you go outside, you need to remain indoor until the sutures are removed.
[notify]

Sasha Maree

Furry Mice- BEWARE!

Purred: Mon Dec 18, '06 7:29pm PST 
*Sasha's Momma here. . .

Although Destiny started this thread, it answered a lot of questions for me.

Sasha went today for her surgery. Everything went well and I was able to bring her home this afternoon. I was getting kind of concerned that all she wanted to do is sleep, although I know she went to the litterbox one time this evening.

So, thank you for the information. I guess I just need to let her do her own thing for a little while, hopefully by morning, she'll be in better spirits.

Edited by author Mon Dec 18, '06 7:31pm PST

[notify]

Miss Olivia

Miss Calico- Olivia

Purred: Wed Dec 27, '06 12:52pm PST 
I think your out of surgury right now however my sister's and mine is tomrmow grrrrrr. I am in heat right now and I been crabbing about it to mommy and daddy for the last few weeks. We couldn't get in until tommorw but, My Cat cousin got in today I am upset about frown.
[notify]

Dahlia P.- Kittenface- 2006-2012

A small cat with- a big voice

Purred: Fri Dec 29, '06 10:08am PST 
I'm getting spayed on January 9! I was really scared too, but my sister Siouxsie and some of my LiveJournal kitty friends told me it would be OK. They said I'd go to sleep for a little while, and when I wake up my tummy will be bald. Siouxsie said it'd hurt for a couple of days, but my mommy promised she's gonna give me lots of Reiki (that's warm hands that do healing mojo) to help me feel better. And she's gonna spoil me rotten, too. Tee hee hee!

My human grammie's cat, Rosabelle, just got spayed yesterday and she's just fine today. *purrrrrrrrr*

So I'm not as scared as I was, but I'd sure love to have some purrs from my Sistah friends when it's time for my operation!
[notify]

Honey

Umbrella Girl

Purred: Fri Dec 29, '06 10:21am PST 
Purrrrrs and purrrrrrrrrs and purrrrrrrrrrs for all the sweet girl kitties who have their operations soon. It was no problem for me. It's OK to sleep a lot. Kitties are great at sleeping! Love and more purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs, Honey
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2