GO!

Vet Problems

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sparx

1st officer of- the USS Voyapurr

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 10:26am PST 
Calli just went to the vet today and she hates it!! The last time we went they had to put her in a net just to give her her shots! And today they were inspecting a lump on her chest. Don't worry, its just an absess, but she was horrible. They had to bring out big heavy, thick gloves. She wasn't as bad as the last ime but she was definetly growling and hissing a lot. Is there a way to make her calme and more cooperative?
[notify]

Ducky Goose

Duh....what???

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 10:38am PST 
Was your cat by chance bottle raised? MOL. My vet is my grandpa and I used to get VERY VERY grouchy when I'd go to the vet, hissing, growling, biting. It has taken some time but I am better now. My mommy works for the vet, and so just would take me in for no reason but just to go, and I would get petted and loved by the vet instead of shots or pokings. It helped, but I still hiss at him...while purring! I'm a weird one!
[notify]

Tux in- loving- memory

Little Angel

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 10:46am PST 
Hmmm, are there any vets that come to your home in your area? Do you think that she does this because of the stress and maybe a vet coming to your home would help calm her down? I know that these in home vets can be rather expensive but if you could afford it, it might make things a little easier. I knew a lady that had to sedate her cat every time she took him to the vet to keep him from going after the vet. I hope you can get her calm some way!
Purrrs,
Tux

Edited by author Sun Nov 12, '06 12:00pm PST

[notify]

Ashley

Back rubs are- the best!!

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 10:49am PST 
Some vets. will give you a little sedative pill to take an hour or two before you have to go to your appointment. They work really well for alot of cats and dogs,but for some animals (while they are fine at home and during the car ride to the clinic while medicated),will still get completely nasty once they are in the clinic being treated. It's hard to predict who will be ok at the clinic and who won't. I guess you'll just have to discuss it with the Dr. and see what they think.

*rubs and purrrrrsssss*

Ashley
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 11:28am PST 
Ask for a sedative from your vet to use for vet visits. They usually help, but be aware that is not always the case. As long as you are healthy, it wouldn't hurt to give before your vet visits.
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 5:46pm PST 
Sigh. My mom's pretty sure that my vet takes sedatives herself before I show up.

Good luck. I hope you can make peace with your veterinarian. I have a love/hate thing going on with them, and sedatives result only in an angry cat who is also stoned. Not pretty.
[notify]

Dexter- Jeebus

Dex-tro what- would a brotha- know?

Purred: Sun Nov 12, '06 4:30pm PST 
My mom is a technician and takes me in frequently -- since my sis goes in often for anal gland issues I'll ride along just for the experience. I love going in TO VISIT. I'm friendly and outgoing but I will not tolerate anything "medical" being done -- even a nail trim. Because I have ESP I know when they're about to do something sinister. Since I'm a monster and I'm a little large (hard to handle) I am sedated once a year for a dental, bloodwork, urinalysis and vaccines. Yeah, it's a little expensive but I'm well worth it and it takes the stress off of me and mom's coworkers.
[notify]

Max

Eat, Sleep, and- Be Happy!

Purred: Mon Nov 13, '06 4:57pm PST 
My mom read on the Drs. Foster & Smith website about all natural products that we can have to calm us down. We have not tried anything yet. My mom has been looking on Caster to see if anyone has posted anything about things like this. I get very stressed and sick whenever I have to go to the vet or even in the car. At my last trip to the vet, I got so stressed that I started turning blue and the vet was worried about my heart!

Has anyone ever tried these natural products?

Here is a link to Drs. Foster and Smith:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?Ntt=s tress&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2002&Nty=1
[notify]

Sparx

1st officer of- the USS Voyapurr

Purred: Tue Nov 14, '06 3:30pm PST 
Max, there is something called Calm Down. It has flowers of something like that in it. My mom usually puts it in wet food or my water.
[notify]