GO!

hepatic lipidosis

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Parker- 2001-2007

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 8:54pm PST 
for those of you following the progress of my cat parker...things are going not so good...we brought him home from the hospital with a feeding tube, with hopes that this would facilitate his recovery...we were instructed to give him 7 meds/supplements (sam-e, marin, pet-tinic, reglan, actigall, l-carnitine, and metronidazole) along with clinicare food in his feeding tube... we proceeded to give him the different meds every couple of hours along with his food... despite the anti-nausea medicine (reglan) he has thrown up virtually every time we have feed him... the vet bills have surpassed 2000, and I feel extremely stress about how I'm going to manage monitoring him every couple of hours with, considering I go to school and work full-time... my boy-friend is watching him now, b/c he quit his job, but he's starting work again soon... parker seems to do better when he's at the vet, vomiting much less, i am nervous that all these medicines are making him more nauseaus...i'm scared that his nausea will not get better, and that we're not taking care of him properly...i want him to get better desperately...if anyone has had expereince with cats with hepatic lipidosis that suffured from severe nausea even after the feeding tube and nausea meds., please write me with suggestions or information...parker is hospitalized again...and i'm scared that things will not get better...
[notify]

Boxie Brown- Forever

Boxie B.- with a- goatee!!

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 9:00pm PST 
Oh Parker, I only wish I knew anything or could help in anyway. I will purr for you! PPPPPPPPPUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRppppppUUUUUUUrrrrrrr
[notify]

♥- Simba- ♥- LOVED

Momma's Girl

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 9:12pm PST 
Oh, Parker I'm sorry too! Like Boxie Brown, I sure wish I knew something that would help. We're all hoping that you get better soon! Lots of hugs & nuzzles to you!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 9:55pm PST 
Parker I am so sorry. I have a couple of questions for you. Is the feeding tube a NG tube (this goes into his nose and down his throat), a Esophagostomy / Pharyngostomy Tube (directly into esophagus) or is it a PEG tube (inserted directly into the stomach)? How slowly were you giving the food? It should be given somewhat slowly. How much food are they having you feed per feeding? Is he eating a/d? Are they having you wait for aobut 20 minutes after the Reglan before trying to feed? Pet tinic is a vitamin/mineral supplement. (I have never given this to any cats I've help treat w/ Hepatic lipidosis). This could be too much for him. I know if I eat vitamins, I feel a bit nauseaus. Marin ( I had never heard of...so I looked it up and it is a antioxident). It has the active ingredient of milk thistle which has be shown to improve liver function. The actigall (ursodiol) assists bile flow and helps prevent absorption of toxic bile products from the intestinal tract. SAMe is an antioxidant that has shown promise in supporting the liver function. Metronidazole is an antibiotic that keeps the harmful numbers of overgrowing bacteria in check within the intestine. The carnitine is a a supplement helpful in transporting fats.
Talk to your vet about maybe discontinuing the pet tinic, and possibly the marin, SAM-e or the carnitine. You may feeling overmedicated. Something your tummy may not be able to handle right now. I think after your vomiting decreases, it would be a good idea to get restarted on some or all of the supplements to help your liver. Just discuss with your vet what is REALLY necessary.
Don't feel like you are alone. Often times a cat does really well at the hosp., then goes home to get sick all over again, just to be re-hospitalized. Ask your vet or tech to spend some extra time going over proper medicating and feeding w/ you. You should also not be afraid to call them if you have any questions or concerns.
[notify]

Lucky Boo,- Loved &- Missed

Mommy's Guardian- Angel

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 10:02pm PST 
Oh Parker, I'm so sorry things aren't going well for you. I am saying my kitty purrs every day that you will get better! I wish Mommy and I knew something about hepatic lipidosis, but we'd never even heard of it until we started reading your posts.
Good Luck!!
Purrs,
Lucky Boo

Parker- 2001-2007

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 10:21pm PST 
well...parker has a esophagostomy tube...we give him 20 cc's (at 1 cc per sec) every three hours, flushing the tube with warm water (5ml) before and after his feeding, to prevent blockages... we are giving him the reglan 30 mins. before each feeding... i do fear we are overmedicating him, and it's difficult to know which meds. to combine...we took parker to be rehospitalized today, b/c we were freaking out...he looked absolutely terrible, his face was bloated and yellow, and he was hiding all day, even in the bathtub...virtually anything we do provokes vomiting, it seems, he has thrown up in every corner of our house, and peed twice outside his litter box...every time we think he's got atleast a little food in him, we are dissappointed... everything i have read stresses the urgency of h.l. cat's consuming a certain amount of food each day to reverse the condition, so i'm nervous that feeding him less to prevent nausea will be pointless...in the meantime my other cat oscar is probably stressing him out even further, by starring and hissing at him when we're not looking...which is nerve-racking...so if anyone reading this in the chicago-land area wants to baby-sit oscar let me know!!! i guess what i'm looking for is some reassurance that these kinds of issues are normal in the recovery process...it seems everything i've read makes the recovery sound rather easy, with little mention of how to effectively deal with persistent nausea and vomiting...thanks again for everyones support...it is beyond appreciated!!!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 10:31pm PST 
HMMM. I think you could slow down the feeding slightly. MAybe try to give the 20cc over a 5 minute period instead of a 20 sec. period. This should help somewhat. You may need to close up a room specfically for Parker. That way he has his own special place w/ no Oscar to bother him. Oscar is probalby hissing at him for several reasons. Parker smells funny...like the vets office. He also probaly looks funny w/ the tube and bandage. There is another cat...Boxer... that just went thorugh this recently. Maybe you could pmail him for some reassurances. I know he had a difficult recovery period, but last I heard he was doing fine.
Boxers page:
http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=339705&j=t

Previous thread:
http://www.catster.com/forums/thread.php?t=336430
[notify]

Cheyanne

♥ Simbas Lucky- Wife! ♥

Purred: Sat Sep 16, '06 11:56pm PST 
Get well soon!
[notify]

Boxer

Big Purrin'- Kitty

Purred: Sun Sep 17, '06 12:11am PST 
Parker I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through!!!! First off let me say I am FULLY RECOVERED from fatty liver and statistics say that 90% of us kitties with this do fully recover. That is what you need to hear most. The main thing that my mom learned was that it takes a LONG TIME for us to get better when we are like this and that you have to vigilant vigilant vigilant. Okay she's going to take over now.

Parker's Mom, my heart is breaking for how you are feeling because I know how tough it is. But here's the "real deal". You have to dedicate yourself to getting the food in Parker. That was the key for me and Hunter's Mom is the one who told me that. There is a site at Hill's that tells you how much your kitty should be getting. I think it is 1.5-2 cans of A/D for every 10# of cat. We did not do the feeding tube. I refused it in order to not stress him further, but he was pretty good about feeding. I have another cat that would not have tolerated the tube so I'm not knocking, just saying I didn't choose to go that route. When Boxer was throwing up his food I backed up on the meds cause they were making him sick (at Hunter's Mom's advice and also that of my vets who I challenged about it). If you feel Parker is being over medicated please get another vet and ask them. The main thing was just to get the FOOD in him. My vet told me repeatedly.. ."feeding is the cure" .. not all those meds necessarily unless he has another condition. He needs the nutritional support. If any meds are interfering with that, get rid of them. The feeding slowly is really important too and often Boxer would throw up the first part of his meal, but I'd just give him some time to recover and then press on. The more frequent you can feed the better but I think when he really started seeing progress was when I was feeding just 2-3x day but in the quantities he needed to make sure he wasn't going further backwards because I made the mistake of thinking I could get 4-6 feedings in with full time work and full time college and it just wasn't happening so maybe he would have been better sooner but iwasn't getting enough food in him at first I think. He was yellow on his eyes and skin, it was horrible and I cried every single day but I kept feeding him no matter what. Now understand please it took SIX WEEKS of this before he started eating and I finally asked the vet for some appetite stimulates which she gave me but not unitl Iwas getting the right amount of food in him and also I want to say that his appetitie showed up almost the same day I asked for the meds so I think it was really the fact I was consistently getting him the NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT he needed that made the difference. I only ended up giving him about three pills and he was eating on his own. Now he is back to his bossy self and bullying all the other cats here around (a different problem) but honestly you can do this. Please email me for anything and I will support you through this any way I can. Your Parker has really great odds of getting better. I can't help you with the feeding tube cause we did it through force feeding (which is harder from what I understand) but I can help you with the whole emotioanl thing and staying the course. ::: hugs :::
[notify]

Boxer

Big Purrin'- Kitty

Purred: Sun Sep 17, '06 12:34am PST 
Parker, I reread your message and realized I got off course. Yes, the vomiting is normal because they feel really horrible. We cleanded up buckets of watery vomit for more than a month, almost daily. And also that because I was force feeding and not tube feeding I had to dedicate about two hours a day (in intervals) to doing this to get him better. My husband and I had to do it as a team because he needed to be restrained to force feed, but he is not only better, he is now the first and loudest voice for dinner every night and I have six cats here all competing for their dinner. Also give him his own room if you need to. I gave Boxer my bedroom (so he felt safe and close to me) with his own litter box, and kept all the others out when I needed to. They scratched at the door but we just had to ignore them. What I understand is what usually causes this to begin with is stress so the least you can do to stress him is important too. The more comfy and safe he feels the better. You can do this.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5