GO!

Science Diet?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Princess- Cali

Royal Mentor

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 3:46pm PST 
So mommy was wondering if Science Diet is good and is all what its cracked up to be? She wants healthy food for me and she got me some free samples and i really liked them!!!!!! Please any thoughts?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 4:24pm PST 
You are going to get all sorts of responses about this one. I eat Science Diet and it is all my mom has ever fed any of her cats. None of her kitties have had health problems or skin issues. Having said that, there are probably better choices out there, but this works for us.
The most important thing is feed a food you can afford and one that your kitties do well on.
[notify]

Princess- Cali

Royal Mentor

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 4:33pm PST 
*thinks* well mum said that is about as expensive as we can get, and if there is a better food for the same price then we would surely go for that!!
Also the Chicken Soup Kitten Food? I forgot the name but that is what comes to mums head? Is it a good food?
[notify]

Strawberry

sleep sleep- sleep till your- hearts conte

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 4:44pm PST 
My moms persians got really bad sick one died and they consulted a vet and the vet had them put her other cat on science diet canned kitten food shes a very very finiky cat and she likes it and she is doing much better i feed proplan my kitty's love it. They are very soft and very healthy. I think that all food choice is a matter of opinion.I like proplan and my mom is feeding hers science diet canned and has not had any problems and her kitty is looking much better. So you choose.
[notify]

Zack Beloved- Angel- (1995-2009)

True Blue to My- Girl Kiwi

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 6:54pm PST 
We just started using Science Diet Oral Care, as a treat food. Our primary food is ProPlan Indoor. So far, so good. Zack's Mom
[notify]

Nikki

I'm a fighter!

Purred: Mon Sep 4, '06 7:54pm PST 
A lot of cats do just fine on Science Diet. One benefit of Science Diet is that there are different formulas that can help to treat certain conditions. When you stay in the same family of food I think the cats will take to transitions easier.

Are there better foods? Yes, I think so, but there are practical benefits of feeding Science Diet. If I wasn't able to afford Innova or one of those super high quality foods, the cats would go back on Science Diet.
[notify]

Simba- In Loving- Memory

Anyone want a- bath?

Purred: Mon Sep 4, '06 8:21pm PST 
One really good food that tends to be cheaper than SD, if you can find it is Nutro. They have different kinds (Indoor, Senior) and they have a few different "levels" depending on what you want or can afford. Max is the cheapest, Natural Choice is a little better quality and a little more expensive (about $1 per bag), and then there's Ultra which is their Holistic food (about another $1 or 2 increase.) The good things about Nutro are is it is guaranteed to improve skin and coat because it has more linnoleic acid than any other brand and it is all natural, no by-products (which are not digestible, so there's less waste, as well.) Simba has been on it for a little over a year and I have noticed a tremendous decrease in his shedding. It definitely saves my black clothes!
[notify]

Jabba the- Cat

PURRPURRPURR

Purred: Tue Sep 5, '06 7:29am PST 
Science diet K/D and other types for kidney problems dont have enough protein and the dry food has very little moisture, kidney disease and urinary tract kitties need a lot of moisture. Science Diet also uses a lot of fillers - grains and by-products.
[notify]

Lucky Boo,- Loved &- Missed

Mommy's Guardian- Angel

Purred: Tue Sep 5, '06 9:09am PST 
We believe that Science Diet, for its category of foods, is a wonderful food. We've only had it a few times but love it. We eat Maxximum Nutrition because we can't afford SD but eventually we hope to switch over to it or something like it (like Eukanuba, maybe).

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Sep 5, '06 9:23am PST 
Jabba, kidney diets shouldn't have a lot of protein. While I agree that they, along w/ urinary prone cats, need lots of water, all of thier foods do come in a canned variety. Hills does a very good job w/ thier Rx diets. They work exactly as they are supposed to.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3