GO!

FOURTH Cat???? Yikes!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gwinny

Never met a- furry mousie I- didn't like

Purred: Fri Dec 2, '05 4:21pm PST 
Hi,
My mommy is worried. She is bringing a new cat home. I'm getting worried too. What if my sisters and I don't like the new boy? It will be a brother, and we've never had one. We are all a little over a year old, the new cat will be four months.

She is planning to separate New Boy (luckily we have a BIG house) and keep him with her most of the day in her office and sleep with him in the guest room the first couple of nights.

I don't mind that too much--we hardly ever sleep with her, which is one reason she wants another cat. But how will I feel when New Boy finally gets here? How will my two sisters feel? We didn't like each other at first, but now we are all good friends.

Gwinny
[notify]

Xavier

I am carnivore,- hear me meow

Purred: Fri Dec 2, '05 5:12pm PST 
Hi Gwinny! I guess time will answer the questions you have. Your mom is starting out smart by keeping the new guy seperate for a while. She can also try after a few days, bringing something that has his scent on it(like a blanket that he's been laying on for example) and placing in your area and do the same for the new fella. That way you all can kind of get used to each other's scent and hopefully will make the introduction a little easier.

Good luck!
[notify]

Felica 1988 - 2007

Lady Fee, our- little angel

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '05 7:02pm PST 
I agree with Xavier, that is the best way. I was over a year old when my brat brother came to live with us. Mylo liked to pounce on me and chase me around. I wanted none of it, but we became friends in a short time.
[notify]

Gwinny

Purred: Sun Dec 4, '05 6:05am PST 
My mommy really appreciates your answers. She is worried that my sisters and I might hurt the new kitten. I don't think I would, or Tasha either, but I'm a little worried about Sammy. She likes to play very rough.

I am also saving up all my hisses. No way do I want to make things easier for New Boy.
[notify]

Xavier

I am carnivore,- hear me meow

Purred: Tue Dec 6, '05 7:01am PST 
Gwinny, we just welcomed(if you can call it that) a 3 month old into our house and mom was very concerned that we'd hurt her. She kept us separated for a few days and then would slowly let Mirabelle out into our territory. I'd run up to her and hiss and then run away and each time mom would hold her breath thinking I would hurt her. It's been almost a month now and while we're not best friends with the kitten, we tolerate her. My sister Fallon has been playing with her more and more each day but she'll still hiss at Mira.

I think for the most part, us cats know when there's a baby around and while we might not like them in our house, we know that you can't push them around like you would an older kitty. I think you guys will be fine with your new little brother... Don't forget to keep us updated!
[notify]

Twinkie

Definate- tortie-tude

Purred: Tue Dec 6, '05 11:15pm PST 
heh heh. Try being around 12 other siblings!!! *shakes head*
[notify]

Gwinny

Purred: Thu Dec 29, '05 2:08pm PST 
Hi, guys,
Thanks for your moral support. I really need it! It turns out this so-called kitten was almost 11 months old! And after a few days of being kept in the guest room he's just waltzed right in like he owns the place. He even monopolizes playtime, and that used to be MY job.

He also sits on my mom's lap all the time and sleeps with her. That is what she wanted, but I don't see why she can't be happy with my more paws-off attention. But I'm showing New Guy exactly how I feel. Even when I sometimes play chase with him, I always hiss and swat him to put him in his place.

For some reason my sisters are okay with the new guy. But I'm not giving in.

Gwinny
[notify]

Harry Potter- Wizard Cat - RIP

You're a Wizard,- Harry!

Purred: Thu Dec 29, '05 9:18pm PST 
Gwinny.......hiya! I was just adopted two weeks ago from the SPCA into a home with two cats. It took a few days for Sassy and Thunder to adjust to me...I was kind of in their face all the time! smile They are both older than me....Sassy is 3 and Thunder is 2 and I am only 6 months but we are all one big happy family now. So I am sure it won't take long for everyone to adjust to the new addition! smile Best of luck and love to all of you!

Wiz
[notify]

Peggy

Princess

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '05 6:44am PST 
Gwinny everything will work itself out. I still hiss and growl at Spike from time to time when he annoys me. He needs to know what the rules are and I am the one that has to teach him. At first he doesn't get it but I then forcefully put my paw down and he realizes I'm not kidding. For the most part we get along great but like everyone I do have my moments when I would rather be left alone.

Good luck getting aquainted with your new little brother!
[notify]

Gwinny

Purred: Sat Jan 21, '06 10:15am PST 
Hi, guys! Just an update on my new brother, who has been with us now for almost six weeks. (Yikes!)

His name is Google, and I was really mopy and angry for a while, until one day I figured out that I am dominant to him. So now all I have to do is swat him or hiss at him once in a while. If he's eating and I want to eat, no problem, I just walk right up and muscle in.

But the good part is, he's fun to play with! He has so much energy! He loves to play chase, both chasing and being chased. He also likes to wrestle, which I'm not into yet, but he does it with my sister Sammy.

The only downside is my oldest sister, Tasha, has been a basket case since Google arrived.. He tries to play with her, and she doesn't want to. She's gotten all twitchy, and started hiding in the closet. Mommy went to the vet, and he prescribed Prozac a week ago. So far, it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Purrs,
Gwinny
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2