GO!

Medical Problems with the Siamese Breed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Omar

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '07 6:09pm PST 
My brother and I both suffer from pretty substantial medical ailments. I have renal failure and my brother Frank has feline asthma that has led to an enlarged heart and we're told, will eventually lead to his demise through cardiac failure. Two vets have told us that these types of ailments are common in the Siamese breed. However, all of our feline cousins are Siamese and some have lived past 13 as outside cats with no sign of any kind of problems. Has anyone ever heard of this breed being more susceptible to such significant diasnosis?
[notify]

Sonny

Leave my tail- ALONE!!!

Purred: Sat Jan 19, '08 1:02pm PST 
Renal failure in Male Siamese is quite common I'm afraid. But as far as I am aware, the breed is not any more or less susceptible to ailments than any other pedigree cat. I guess a lot would have to do with bloodlines and how closely bred they are if something major was wrong. confused
[notify]

Zoe

Mommy's Little- Angel

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 11:28pm PST 
Hi Omar! I have asthma, too. I am six years old, and just started having asthma attacks about two years ago. My vet said it is common with Siamese, but she never mentioned I could get an enlarged heart from it! Now my mom is kind of worried. I currently get steriod shots every three months to control my asthma. I had to have emergency surgery a few years ago to have bladder stone removed, and my vet said this is common in Siamese too. Has anyone else had bladder problems?
[notify]

Zoe

Mommy's Little- Angel

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 11:29pm PST 
Hi Omar! I have asthma, too. I am six years old, and just started having asthma attacks about two years ago. My vet said it is common with Siamese, but she never mentioned I could get an enlarged heart from it! Now my mom is kind of worried. I currently get steriod shots every three months to control my asthma. I had to have emergency surgery a few years ago to have bladder stone removed, and my vet said this is common in Siamese too. Has anyone else had bladder problems?
[notify]

Chula

Never Walk If- You Can Chase

Purred: Tue Mar 4, '08 3:39am PST 
Medical problems for siamese aren't much different from those of most modern show breeds, which are developed for certain characteristics with no regard to the cat's health or longevity.
I have had siamese most of my life, and never had any problems with their health--but we had what is called the 'Classic' style when I was young, and I now own the 'Traditional'; Traditional are the original siamese introduced to the West--sturdy, muscular and healthy, they are largish cats which come in the usual point colors of Seal, Chocolate, Lilac and Blue. 'Classic' siamese are an in-between of the traditional and modern skinny show cat--still big and healthy compared to modern types, but with a little more triangular head and body.
I had a lilac point who died of kidney failure in 2001, but he was 21 years old, and got around fine though he had gone blind and was going deaf and starting to develop the habit of walking in circles until I would pick him up and then put him back down.
My current traditional girl weighs nearly 12 pounds, her brother who was stolen weighed almost 13, and my younger classic weighs 10. All are fine and healthy.
[notify]

Owen

Owen-bedowen

Purred: Thu Apr 24, '08 5:36pm PST 
I was just diagnosed with a Nasopharyngeal Stinosis. But my biopsies and tests all came back ok! Does anyone else have this?
[notify]

Mysterio

I sleep- therefore i am.

Purred: Wed Apr 30, '08 3:34am PST 
I am only 3y old but i am afraid with everything that you have been saying.My mommy is worried too. I hope that all of you will get well soon!^_^

I had heard that Siamese cats are pretty sensitive and easily susceptible,especially when it comes to breathing and lung problems. Lately i have been having heavy breathing so i probably need to check that in the vet.Maybe it is because my mommy smokes.

I will get back to you after my vet visit.
[notify]

Tahiti (I- miss you- baby!)

Mr. T

Purred: Thu Dec 4, '08 6:40pm PST 
I'm 5 yrs old and was adopted 2 yrs ago from a shelter. They didn't tell my new mommy of my health concerns or maybe they didn't know them since I was only there 3 mos. I haven't done any real testing for food allergies but all the signs are there. My mommy's been trying to limit my diet but I get finicky on her. Lately all I've craved is beef flavored canned food... and the past few days I keep wheezing and feel short of breath. cry My mommy is beside herself and going to call the Dr in the morning to make an appointment ASAP. She can't seem to find anything in the stores that I don't eventually react to or with bad fillers so she's thinking of attempting a home-cooked diet now.. I itch so bad sometimes that I either scratch my fur out or lick it to the skin! It's crazy! Once my Dr said to stop eating seafoods... next it was turkey.. now it looks like beef cause respiratory issues are an allergic reaction apparently.. Sheesh.. what's there left to eat?????

Do any of my fellow Siamesers out there have allergy problems???? I hate it.. What's a kitty to do... thank catnip that my mommy would never dream of returning me to the shelter!! I feel bad about it all..
[notify]

♥- Blue- ♥

Bluesy has left- the- building..for- now.

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '09 5:15am PST 
Every breed has some beasties however. We lost our sister a Maine Coon at 14 1/2 years old from Lymphoma, and that's when we found out that it strikes Siamese and Orientals more then other breeds. All their survival rates from test after Chemo involed Siamese. We lost one Siamese to Liver Cancer. I have no idea how he came down with that, then found out his Mom died at 8 years old with cancer, so she must has passed on the gene. He was 13 1/2 when he went to the bridge. I have a mis-shaped heart, not enlarged, it's just the wrong shape, it's longer then it should be, but I also have a set of extra ribs too. Which is weird.
[notify]

Binki- Bubbles Boo

Purred: Sat Feb 28, '09 11:30am PST 
helo i don think these are any different from any other breed of pedagree cat.

i have irritable bowel syndrome and egzima but i have 2 brothers and they dont have this problem. we all have the same mum and dad from the same breeder and my mum talked to the breeder and she said she has only ever heared of one of her kittens being ill in this way and she has been breeding 30years
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2