Postings by Jett

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Shrimp? OK raw, or cooked?
Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 5:39pm PST 
Its been a long time since the last I posted here... and unfortunately in that time, I am minus one kitty cry

I lost Leonard earlier this year to a urinary blockage. I had just added Ridley (new pup) to the household when it happened, so very regrettably I mistook his odd behavior for the normal stress of having another dog around. By the time I took him in it was too late, and he passed on the table.

Since then I have tried yet AGAIN to transition the cats to a raw diet. I did the pre-mixed grinds, and the powder you add to meat to make it balanced (Better in the Raw), but once again they refused to yield. I also tried the FreshPet Vital food... also not interested.

Right now I've managed to get them on a mostly canned diet, about 70% or so canned food (mostly Wellness grain free), but I'm still having to mix in a little bit of kibble (Orijen) to get them to finish their meals.

Yesterday I bought some fresh raw shrimp to cook, and as I was preparing it Jett seemed usually interested, so I threw him one... and he gobbled it down. Surprised, I gave one each to Bella and Neko, and they also ate it happily. This is literally one of the first times I've ever seen them enthusiastically eat a whole food...

So I'm wondering is raw shrimp ok to feed? Or to add to their current diet on a regular basis?

I worry about contaminants in seafood, and if it would be better to boil it (provided they will eat it).
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Jul 3 10:27 am

Food & Nutrition > High quality dry food that\'s small pieces
Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 10:11am PST 
Just wanted to mention, that I was given a sample of the Fromm 4 star cat food to try, and the pieces are ultra tiny. Even smaller than the BB Wilderness (which is what they were on prior to getting a new bag). VERY very small kibbles!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by HoneyBaby, Jan 14 5:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > AWESOME deal brag!

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Sun Nov 14, '10 4:03pm PST 
I know why no dry, I mean more why Petco was no longer going to be carrying the Blue Wilderness salmon. Just found that odd.

If my guys would actually eat raw or strictly cans, I would be doing it. I've tried numerous occasions, and it simply was a no-go. This weekend makes attempt 3 for raw, as I scored an awesome deal on rabbit for the dogs, and asked them to throw in some pinkies for the cats to try. No such luck confused
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Princess Zelda Serafina, Nov 15 7:49 am

Food & Nutrition > AWESOME deal brag!

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Sun Nov 14, '10 6:09am PST 
So I walked into Petco last night to pick up some cans, and was floored with what I saw!

All of the quality cans on special for $.20 each shock Including the Wellness pouches! I went nuts and bough them out. Lots of others too, the Ultramix, Avoderm, and Organix, all $.20 (I know, being grain inclusive, many do not care for them, but I'll have to hold firm in my belief that all foods are NOT created equal simply because they are grain free).

They also had the Blue Wilderness 11 lb salmon bags on clearance... for $9 each! eek My guys are still refusing strictly cans/raw, so I bought them out of this as well. Apparently they aren't going to be carrying the salmon line anymore... I know many of you don't feed kibble, but any news as to why?

Anyway, I needed to share... that's the best deal I've gotten on kitty food... ever??
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Princess Zelda Serafina, Nov 15 7:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Best cost efficient canned food

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 6:29pm PST 
I've been getting cases of the PetSmart SophistaCat brand to help with costs. Not the best quality by a long shot, but grain free, no glutens, and no menadione (this is a MAJOR deterrent for me as well).

They're about $.38 for a 5.5 oz can, which helps a LOT with costs.

Here's the ingredient list for the Ocean Whitefish & Tuna (the main one I'm feeding now):

Ocean Whitefish, Animal Liver, Fish, Meat By-Products, Fish Broth, Tuna, Guar Gum, Salt, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamins(Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamin Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite).
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by AnnaBelle, Oct 23 10:30 am

Food & Nutrition > What cat food do you feed your cats?
Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Sat Sep 25, '10 9:03am PST 
Sweetie, please be careful with feeding the Nutro. As is true for the dog lines, the cat foods also contain the ingredient Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex. Nutro uses it as a form of vitamin K, but what they neglect to tell you is that its toxic, and is very harmful to the kidneys and liver.

Personally I would avoid this stuff like the plague...
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Guido the Italian Kitty db 115, Dec 11 9:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > Iams Indoor Weight Control with Hairball Care dry cat food Recall

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Mon Sep 13, '10 5:21pm PST 
clickable link

To quote:

"The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) is voluntarily recalling a small number of bags from a specific lot of one of its dry cat food products due to potential salmonella exposure.

No illnesses have been reported, and no other Iams pet food products are involved.

Only one code date is affected by this announcement:

Product Name
Iams Indoor Weight Control with Hairball Care dry cat food

Version
6.8 lb bag

Code Date
02304173 (B1-B6)

UPC Code

The company successfully traced and retrieved nearly all of the affected product and estimates that fewer than 60 bags from this production run may have been purchased by consumers.

This production run was sold through a single retailer in the following states: Illinois, New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wisconsin, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado.

Consumers who have purchased one of these few bags with the specific code date listed above should discard it. For a product replacement or refund, please call P&G toll-free at 800-862-3332 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST)."
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jett, Sep 13 5:21 pm

Food & Nutrition > Doing canned on a budget

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Fri Sep 10, '10 5:33am PST 
I am more than aware of which companies were involved in the recall.

I've had issues in the past with feed Solid Gold/ToTW because I know they are produced by Diamond... which does bother me. BUT, I suppose it is easier for me to be forgiving of them than Purina, as I did not, personally, have any bad experiences with them.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by BK, Sep 10 12:39 pm

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Thu Sep 9, '10 8:27pm PST 
I'll give Purina that one... their food makes good cat litter!

The one I listed was the AvoDerm. I looked up all the cans, only one uses any form of avocado (oil), and its not one I've ever tried. The KIBBLE most certainly does, however. I used to feed it to one of my pooches, never had any problems, but wouldn't choose to go back to it (even if he was still on kibble).

I dislike Purina with a passion, and I'm sure it did have something to do with your kitty's problem. I was fortunate, as mine's damage wasn't life-threatening (at least not immediately... who knows how many years of life have been shaved off by the damage confused). As of today, they are still "compromised" (as my vet calls it), but doing well. I thought I was doing right with the higher-quality kibbles... now I just feel even more guilty I didn't look into this sooner.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Sep 10 12:39 pm

Jett

Lazy bones.

Purred: Thu Sep 9, '10 6:41pm PST 
There are no avocados in the cat canned food... at least not in the one I buy thinking

Sardine, Shrimp, & Crab:
Sardine, Fish Broth, Shrimp, Crab Meat, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

And as far as Fancy Feast is concerned, you couldn't PAY me to feed a Purina product. I had two cats suffer kidney damage from their poisoned foods back in 2007, and I will NOT give them a single red cent, good product or not. At least not for any kind of pet food. The only Purina product I've purchased in the last 3 years has been chicken feed, and I use that for litter. Honestly, that's the ONLY thing I think its good for... something for my cat to defecate in.

So I'm sorry, but I would rather risk a little bit of brewer's rice and salt, than support a company that aided in the deaths of hundreds of cats, not to mention seriously damaged two of my own.

By Nature seems pretty good for the price... 6.5 oz for a grain free, 95% meat food. I might look in to trying that out some, and hopefully find something else I can add in periodically to offset costs.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by BK, Sep 10 12:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.