Postings by Weeble

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > Salmon Meal okay?
Weeble

Weebs - I wobble but I- don't fall down!

Purred: Fri Oct 5, '12 5:24am PST 
Hi all!

Okay, I have had major issues in my house for years with digestion. I started out years ago feeding Purina Cat Chow in a multi-cat household for budget reasons. Money got straight and we bumped up to more healthy, expensive foods. I still can't spend $40 on a 7 lb. bag.

I have issues with cats throwing up undigested food CONSTANTLY. They are young and healthy, so it's not underlying diseases from what I know. I currently feed NutroMax Adult Roasted Chicken. I try to stay away from by-products and the like.

I want to change again, to something more geared for sensitive stomachs to see if it helps my vomiting and icky stools problems. I found Authority at PetSmart, and am thinking about getting that. It's affordable, for sensitive stomachs, and from what I can see has a good analysis.

My question is the fifth ingredient is Salmon Meal. Is this okay? I have been told to stay away from any fish in the ingredients list other than fish oil. This food may help the vomit problem, making it easier on everyone, but I don't want to do a lot of damage in the long run.

Ingredient list for those curious: turkey, turkey meal, brewer's rice, oat groats, salmon meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, rice flour, dried beet pulp, dried egg product, fructooligosaccharides, potassium chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite and taurine

Any comments? Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brownie, Oct 7 11:44 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > This was the hardest decision to make
Weeble

Purred: Sun Mar 28, '10 1:35am PST 
Oh honey, hug

I am so sorry you're having to go through this. Please know we've all been there, and we're here for you. I've never met you on the forums, but if you need a place to vent, feel free to send a message. I'm so sorry for you and your family..

I know it's hard enough making that decision, but to have cost of veterinary procedures play a role, is even more devastating. I have been that route more then once. So sick animals, but tests are just thousands of dollars and always seem to come at the wrong time. I've had the same thoughts you've had, "If I could afford that test, maybe it was treatable..." etc. etc. From the sound of your story, it may very well not have been, and I think you should rest assured you made the right decision for your baby. I know it doesn't help, but you have nothing to feel guilty for. Had there been a test to say something, if her motor skills were truly gone, she may have had no quality of life. I think you made the heroic decision in all of it.

Again, so sorry for your loss. If there's such a thing as Rainbow Bridge, I have many, many that met her up there to welcome her. smile

hug
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gracie Angel (2001-7/15/11), Mar 31 11:20 am

Cat Health > Questions & Support

Weeble

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 11:39pm PST 
From the Weebs herself:

I'm not a CH kitty really. I was born from a stray kitty my momma took in, and apparently there were a few too many of us in the womb! My brothers and sisters didn't let me stretch my legs..so my hind legs sort of grew like pretzels. I have no issues at all walking, running, climbing, etc. I just use my front end for everything! I'm just a lot cuter this way. big grin
Weebs

She is a LOT cuter the way she is, lol. We love her to death. She walks a lot on just her front paws, which is adorable. When she runs, it sounds like a herd of elephants, as her but bounded on the ground. She had a bit of an issue as a kitten, as she was rubbing her twisted joints on the floor trying to learn to walk. It created some pretty bad sores, but the vet said this had to happen, so she could create calluses there. Now, you can't see them, but she has tough spots that function like the pads of her feet. She's just very muscular in the front, skinny in the back. She's a few years old now, I need to post new pics so you can see!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Weeble, Mar 26 11:39 pm

Weeble

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 8:41pm PST 
Thank you all so much for your words of support. I think I've come to terms with the fact that this was the decision that had to be made. Patches is at home now, safe, and seemingly unfazed. I'm going to be keeping her more than likely. She's found herself a special little place in my heart.

By the way, all of your kitties are just adorable! I've had an account here for a long while, but haven't posted very much at all. All of your kindness makes me want to post a lot and get to know you all!

Take care! Thanks again!
Weebs
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Weeble, Mar 26 11:39 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > What to Do? What to Do?

Weeble

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 8:29am PST 
First, thanks for being such a caring pet owner! It's awesome you aren't just throwing Casper into the mix with Whisper, without considering Whisper's feelings first. It is Whisper's territory after all!

I do agree with Booboo. I have had similar experiences, in where I had dogs or cats that absolutely did not want this dog or cat here, but completely accepted the next. Whisper may indeed surprise you.

If anything, is it an option for you to temporarily take Casper, and try yourself to rehome him/her (sorry I didn't catch the sex)? Perhaps keep them separated until you do, if that's feasible for you?

Again I applaud you for wanting to help. I wish you all the luck! Keep us posted!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Steinem - In Memory, Apr 2 8:39 am

Weeble

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 8:21am PST 
Miss Daisy -

Thanks for replying! I guess all I was looking for was for people that understood, to validate me a little. I appreciate you making me feel that this was the best thing to do. That's great news about your adoptions! I am so angry at my little country (and I do mean waay out in the country) neighborhood. There are SO many strays, it's just heartbreaking. I do what I can, but with the number I have now, I'm running out of resources (and my husband is running out of patience, god bless him). I just wish people were more responsible. As if the situation weren't bad enough. I have heard of a road not too far from where I live, that is apparently a dumping grounds for animals. The stories are that they just sit on the side of the road, waiting for their owners to show back up. I hear they just die there, and it absolutely breaks my heart. I have not been, as I know it would just kill me not to be able to bring them all home. Taking on a pet is a lifetime commitment, and I wish people would see it that way. =

Thanks again for your words of support!
Weebs
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Weeble, Mar 26 11:39 pm

Weeble

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 6:29am PST 
Hey Cat Lovers,

I'm known to write wordy posts, so I'm going to try to keep this short. I don't know that I'm putting this in the right place, so if I'm a derailer, I apologize in advance!

Way long story short:
I took in two pregnant stray females a year ago. They gave birth a day apart. Mom number one, abandoned ship. Wanted nothing to do with her kittens. I bottle-fed them around the clock, did their "business" etc. and kept them going. Mom number two, took them in as her own. This, made a total of 13 kittens.

All kittens were sick, and diagnosed with Feline Herpes and Colici (sp) virus. After going crazy trying to find help, I found an awesome organization that registered them, so long as I fostered. I agreed of course, because a shelter would have killed them.

I had seven cats of my own to begin with. Add two mothers, and 13 kittens, and you have 22. Plus two outside that we were feeding. I went from 7 inside cats, to 22 inside cats. Overnight.

A year later, I still am fostering ALL kittens. Mama one was rescued and adopted by a Siamese Rescue group. YAY! Mama two passed away a couple of months ago. ALL kittens are still here. Yet ANOTHER stray pregnant female has shown up. This is the 8th we have had in 3 years. I can not foster, needless to say.

I tried to get her in our program, they have no room. They wanted her spay aborted. I called "humane" society, they will kill her. ASPCA, will kill her. I cannot take in another 7 cats. She is on her way now to the vet to be aborted.

My question, which is why I put it in the health section, is do any of you know what I can expect? My own heart is breaking, I feel guilty, I feel like a killer. I fought so hard through 7 litters to keep kittens alive, and now I'm facilitating their death. frown I just don't know how I'm going to process this one. Will Mama be okay? Is she going to be depressed? She was far enough along that there is a good size belly, but I believe probably still a month, month and a half away from popping. I understand this will be physically hard on her, but I am worried about the emotional/hormone side. I am one of those people that firmly believe animals have feelings too. =

Looks like I got wordy anyway. >.< I'm sorry! Just needed somewhere to say I feel guilty where people won't judge and tell me "it's just a cat." I know there's an overpopulation..boy do I know that with what I have here. I've done all I can and they just keep pressing that this is the best thing. Bah, more wordiness! Thanks for taking the time to read. >.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Weeble, Mar 26 11:39 pm

Cat Health > Need some advice quick..

Weeble

Purred: Tue Jun 9, '09 11:06am PST 
Shadow,
Thank you SO much for the information! I'm going right now to go look it up. We're really trying here but my husband has pretty much capped my spending with the PCR test. I have had nine litters of kittens/puppies in the past several years, and have never seen anything like this. Just couldn't have anticipated all these problems.

Anyway, thanks again for the prayers and the info!!

-Weebs
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hobert von Kingston III, Jun 10 8:25 am

Weeble

Purred: Mon Jun 8, '09 12:26am PST 
I have actually contacted every shelter and rescue group within a 100 mile radius of me. I have not called since this possible Herpes came up, but called a couple of weeks ago trying to find placement for them, or someone who would allow me to post pics/bio's of the babies on their websites, or go to their adoption days. I had been told by every single one I contacted either a flat, sometimes rude, "No." or "Because of the failing economy, too many people are giving up their pets, and we have no room. Good luck." Believe me, I don't take my stray rescue lightly, this is my ninth litter in the last several years.

Also, this group, HOPE, has been insanely generous in helping me the last two weeks to care for these kittens. I am receiving veterinary care at little to no cost, as well as the medications and fluids I need. I have no qualms with them and understand them not wanting me to spread a an active virus throughout their other rescued felines.

I guess I will just have to create some kind of education packet and try to home them myself. They are getting older, and spay/neuters have to be done, and that's where the problem comes in. If it's not Herpes, and it's something curable, HOPE will cover my spay/neuter costs to get them into the program. If it's Herpes, I'm on my own. Spay/Neuter x 12...shots x 12...office visits x 12...yeah...the math isn't looking great on that one. I've already put over $1500 into these babies, but obviously, I'm running out.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hobert von Kingston III, Jun 10 8:25 am

Weeble

Purred: Sun Jun 7, '09 11:47pm PST 
Okay, I tried to do a good thing, and now I'm in way over my head. About 10 weeks ago for those of you that haven't read any of my other posts, I took in two stray Queens that were pregnant. This gets a little confusing so try to bear with me...

The first momma cat, Sami, gave birth to 5 kittens, and one stillborn. I think she had them a little prematurely. She promptly abandoned the entire litter, and of course I bottle-fed around the clock. She went to the Texas Siamese Rescue, was found to have an abcessed tooth, was treated, spayed and is up for adoption.

The second momma, Gracie, had her babies the day after Sami. She had five. A couple of weeks later, the TX Siamese Rescue called me to go rescue three kittens abandoned under a woman's house here in my town. I went and crawled under her house in the mud, and cut three maine coon mixes from inside her insulation.

So, we ended up with 12 kittens altogether. One baby didn't make it, Gracie apparently killed it. It was probably sick.

Well. Everything was great, everyone was healthy but one little guy, who was on death's door. He went to the vet, got treated with Cephelexin (sp?), healed up really well, and survived. He's our little Rambo.

Then, almost the entire litter came down with Upper Respiratory. I was treating them the best I could, but my resources and finances were running low. I got them enrolled in the Homeless Orphaned Pets Endeavor (HOPE) here in Houston. I agreed to continue fostering until we got them thoroughly checked out and treated.

I took our two worst ones to HOPE's vet. One of them, Tippy, her conjunctivitis is so bad, her eyes are swelled shut. When they're open, all you see is her pink inner lid all swollen. The other little guy, Peanut, is also 10 weeks old, with a horrible rattle in his little chest, icky eyes, the whole shebang. Their vet takes one quick look and diagnoses Feline Herpes, and tells me to "send them to Jesus." shockfrown

Longer story short, I am having a P. Chain Reaction done on the sickest one tomorrow afternoon, for a definitive diagnosis. Luckily, HOPE cares enough that they are supplying me tons of medication and fluids to keep these little ones going. Some of the babies don't even show any signs whatsoever of being sick, others are just mild sneezing, and then there are the two worst ones.

I need some advice. I do not want to put 12 kittens to sleep, even if they have Herpes. However, I am running out of options. I cannot keep all 12 myself. I have cats of my own, and was already planning to keep three of the babies, but just can't keep 12. I don't have the money to continue to treat 12 babies on my own either. I just cannot bear to put them down when I know at least the healther ones can get through this. They may be sick off and on the rest of their lives, but with people that understand the disease, as I've seen many of you here do, they can still be happy, loved cats. They are just the sweetest...

As you know, the Humane Society and SPCA will euthanize them. This HOPE group I'm working with says if it is Herpes, they'll be unadoptable, because I can't have them at adoption sites and whatnot because they may pass it on to the healthy ones. I don't want to do the "free to a good home" in the newspaper, because I don't want them to be dog bait, or lab animals. I am just at a loss. For 10 weeks I have tried so hard, and spent so much money, I don't know what to do anymore.

If anyone here has some advice, or is interested in them or helping them, please let me know. I'm trying to save lives here, I just can't do it alone anymore.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Hobert von Kingston III, Jun 10 8:25 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.