Wow, thanks for the heads up!!

I didn't realize I could get kicked out for this cat thing. frown
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:27 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Getting rid of urine smell in an apartment
Boris

Brr!

Purred: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:24pm PST 
My little kitty decided to pee on the carpet frown I'm going to get him checked but anyway,

I've doused the spot with an entire bottle of Nature's Miracle three times, I've also checked for other places with a black light. The smell just isn't getting better. I'm wondering if it's just too deep and into the padding or even the concrete underneath.
I've read on some forums how to pull up the carpet and clean that, but I don't think I should do that in my apartment lol......

I'm getting ready to buy this MagicZymes as well as this vinegar/baking soda/hydrogen peroxide treatment thing (http://www.getridofthings.com/odors/get-rid-of-cat-urine.htm), but I'm worried it won't get deep enough. If I do a professional carpet cleaning what should I do? Steam clean? Carpet shampoo? I've heard of wet-vac? Will these things just be a waste of my money?

I'm getting ready to ask the office at my complex if I can just switch apartments cuz I can't take this anymore. I know they'll charge me a lot though because I didn't tell them I have a cat. frown
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:27 pm

Behavior & Training > New Diet: bad behavior HELP!

Boris

Brr!

Purred: Sun Dec 12, '10 3:47pm PST 
I have made a few posts about Snickers in the past, but his behavior is just getting worse! We recently switched his diet to match the advice given on catinfo.org. When I met my boyfriend (he was my boyfriend's cat), Snickers was free-fed and now weighs about thirty pounds. I told my boyfriend we needed to fix his diet, and we started him off on a better dry food (Wellness CORE), and weighed out his food each day. After several months of getting used to that, we are now integrating wet food into his diet. And we have again lowered his daily calorie intake. He is now eating about 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can of wet food (not a good brand for now because he is still a little picky) along with 1/3 cup of Wellness CORE dry food, for a total of about 250 calories/day (he may eat more than this though, we have to separate the kitties during mealtimes now because he eats the other cat's share).

He was having a few minor problems before due to a minor UTI (using our bed as a litterbox mainly). But he is doing a lot better thanks to some measures we took. Now he has taken to bad behavior I think to get us to feed him more. Spraying him with a water bottle and making loud noises when we catch him in the act has only taught him to not get caught. So now he does everything when we are sleeping. We wake up each morning to find all of the cabinets opened (I guess I need to child-proof), broken dishes on the floor, scratches on our computer monitor, this morning I woke up to find he had somehow jumped on top of our huge bookshelf and knocked everything over. If we are around, he has resorted to biting. I don't know how to punish him for any of this, and our patience with him is wearing thin. Please help!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 10:03 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need help! Sick kitties, overwhelmed.

Boris

Brr!

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 1:57pm PST 
This is great information everyone, thanks very much. I am going through these websites now to see what I can find.

As for diet, I am feeding them Wellness CORE dry food. They get wet-food on occasion (every few weeks). However, Boris (the one with pancreatitis) will not eat it. They all drink plenty of water, and their water stays very clean.

If there are medications for pancreatitis, I am wondering why my vet did not mention this to me... I hate that it is so hard to find a good vet/doctor these days.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 6:01 pm

Cat Health > Overwhelmed with kitty's UTI, please help!

Boris

Brr!

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 1:31pm PST 
Our kitty Snickers has a recurring urinary tract infection. My boyfriend has taken him to the vet numerous times and he has been on antibiotics each time (they get more expensive every time we go). The antibiotics are not helping. We are getting to a point where we can no longer afford to keep up with this. He has started urinating on our bed and clothing, etc. It seems his antibiotics are not helping at all...I have read that there are some natural remedies out there. I cannot seem to find any good information about what to feed him though. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can help that I can put in his food? It must be okay for our other kitties to eat too (we have three total).

We are beginning to feel so overwhelmed by this we have recently considering giving him up for adoption. Two out of our three cats are sick, we are both college students and cannot really handle this. We also have a small one bedroom apartment that we feel is too small for them especially now that they are confined to the living room (we shut them out of the bedroom since Snickers has starting using our bed to urinate). I hate to give him up for adoption to something like this, so I figured I would look into some last resort things.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on giving him up for adoption? I feel a little guilty about it and I don't know what to do. I am a pet owner that believes that animals are like your children. I wouldn't give one up for adoption for a behavior reason or something, but if I feel I don't have the resources to keep them all healthy and happy, is adoption something I should be considering? cry
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 5:06 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need help! Sick kitties, overwhelmed.
Boris

Brr!

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 4:33pm PST 
My boyfriend and I have 3 cats in a small one-bedroom aparment (he owned two, and I had one before we moved in together). Two out of three cats are sick, and I guess we are starting to feel a little overwhelmed, not only due to the sick cats in a small space, but we also cannot afford to keep up with them (we are both college students).

Boris has chronic pancreatitis, and frequently gets sick and throws up everywhere and leaks "anal fluids" all over. He has been to the hospital but they said there is really nothing that can be done. Snickers also has a recurring urinary tract infection (the previous times we have taken him to the vet has not helped). He has recently taken to using our bed for a litterbox.

I should mention that we use community laundry and are even having a hard time affording to wash all of our blankets etc. everytime one of them gets sick on it (not to mention carpet damages to our apartment). We love our kitties dearly but we really don't know how to keep up with all of this. We have spoken with friends and family and they are not willing to take one. We don't want to give any of them up for adoption, because we worry that with their illnesses they will not find a home. I also feel like an irresponsible owner by giving them up for something like this, but I also feel that they would be better off in a home where the owner was more able to take care of them and buy medications for their illnesses.

We don't know where to go with this, any advice would be appreciated. hamster dance
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 6:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Pawing Everying!! Ruining computer monitors, books.. etc.

Boris

Brr!

Purred: Tue May 25, '10 4:54pm PST 
This post is about my new brother Snickers. Snickers moved in with us when my Mommy moved in with her boyfriend about 6 months ago. Snickers is about 5 or 6 years old? Recently he has started pawing everything, like a cat would paw around in the litterbox or on the carpet around it (if anyone has seen that). It is obvious he is NOT trying to sharpen his claws as his claws do not come out when he does this, but on occasion they accidentally stick out a little and rip up whatever he is pawing. He has become a bit obsessive about his pawing before and after he uses the litterbox, and will paw for hours everything in the house. He has recently decided he likes to paw smooth things. This includes mirrors, the dishwasher, and our computer monitor that he ruined this morning by pawing at it. We can't afford to keep replacing things that he is destroying, but our punishment doesn't seem to hit home with him. He the smartest cat I have ever seen, he is also very independent so the ignoring punishment doesn't phase him either.

We love Snickers and hope that we can find a way to get him to stop this... does anyone have any advice for us?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 25 5:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Bunny business

Boris

Brr!

Purred: Mon Nov 23, '09 7:10pm PST 
I used to have a bunny and the bunny was actually the one pouncing on the cats and chasing them.. it was quite funny. In my experience bunnies and cats get along great. I would slowly introduce them when the bunny is young before he/she gets the idea that it may be the dominant one. Let the kitties look at the bunny through the cage before letting them run around together. I would just supervise when they are together for a while until they get used to each other. If you see bunny is getting scared from the cats, just end the "session" and put bunny back in his cage. If you let them interact often enough I'm sure they will be great friends.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 24 10:05 am

Behavior & Training > Arm attacking and biting!!

Boris

Brr!

Purred: Mon Nov 23, '09 6:39pm PST 
We adopted Boris almost a year ago and his behavior has always been really great until recently. He will come up to me and beg me to be petted or something while I'm on the computer, so I'll reach down to pet him and he ends up jumping in the air to attack my arm! He sometimes bites pretty hard. Afterwards he runs away, so it is hard for me to use the "ignoring" trick for punishment. I can't ignore him if he is already gone. This behavior has also moved to attacking my arms if they happen to go off the side of the bed at night, chasing my legs, etc.

I am suspicious that this behavior may be coming from something Boris and my husband do. When he is petting Boris, if Boris gets annoyed or mad, my husband takes it as playtime and will begin to annoy Boris more and more until he is jumping at us or something. I don't know if this interaction is causing Boris to think our arms and legs are play things, or what, but it needs to stop. Both of us have bite wounds on a regular basis.

Please help!! I am not sure if this would cause the bad behavior, and other than that I don't know how to stop this or give Boris negative reinforcement for this.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 24 9:15 pm

Grooming > Cat with a dirty bum
Boris

Brr!

Purred: Thu May 14, '09 6:25pm PST 
About the shaving, I think you should try to do it yourself because it will be cheaper and you won't have to pay that money! I like that towel idea. If it were me I would just have a fun petting session to get her calm, then try to incorporate the shaving into the petting so its not too stressful. Maybe shaving her whole body isn't something that is necessary though. I have never done this with my cats.

For nails, I usually have me and one other person attempt to hold the cat down, while we clip the nails. Just make sure not to clip too far and get the blood vessel. Or you could try "sitting" on her, not putting your weight on her at all though. While she is stuck underneath you you could grab a foot and try to clip.

Boris's bottom gets dirty as well, and he gets to have regular bottom baths. Kitty wipes are a great idea too though, maybe I'll look into those.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 14 6:25 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.