Postings by Joey

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Cat Health > Possible breathing problems, but vet says my cat is OK?
Joey

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!

Purred: Tue Apr 16, '13 3:13pm PST 
Oblio this may sound silly - but did any of the vets rule out a sinus obstruction? It may be polyps or some other debris in the sinus cavity that is creating the appearance that he is having difficulty breathing - the x-ray wouldn't show that and they may not have been looking for it.

Just curious.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lynx, Jul 29 5:57 pm

Cat Health > Chronic Renal Failure
Joey

Purred: Tue Apr 9, '13 9:48am PST 
Thanks Kaci appreciate all of your advice and concern! We started mixing the new food with his old food to see if he would be more receptive to it - mixed results. I started the Pepcid the night before last along with the Cerenia for the vomiting - since he has been on the Cerenia he has not vomited - until this morning - and I am concerned. I hate to be a pest with the vet - and I don't know if I am overreacting. Do they still vomit occasionally when they are on the Pepcid and antiemetic?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:48am PST 
Hi Athena - thank you so much for sharing your story! They are a handful aren't they?!

Well my concerns about the co-feeding and Joey rejecting the diet are coming to fruition. This morning he was in open rebellion against the new food and followed me around the house as I carried his sister's food looking for a quiet place to fee her - all the while she was back at his dish chowing down! And he cried - tears and all - little howls - begging for that bowl of Fancy Feast. So it looks like I will call the vet today and see if he has any suggestions.

Thank you for the invite to Olde Furts! I joined the group and found the threads you mentioned – very informative!

Thanks so much for all of the support!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:59pm PST 
Hi Delyte – thank you for your response! I am sorry that you and your human have CRF too! I wish I could afford, and that my schedule allowed, having the vet’s staff do the sub Q fluids for me. I think after we get the next round of bloods back – if I am not stable and the vet wants to push the fluids – I will be brave and find a way. There isn’t much I wouldn’t do for my furkids as long as I have the means. I am hoping that getting the diet started early and increasing his water intake – we can keep Joey healthy and happy for a long time – and hearing everyone’s experiences has given me that hope!

Thank you for sharing your story and for your support!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 11:39am PST 
Thank you Merlin - appreciate your insight with the sub Q fluids! Joey's temperament is difficult at best - he is a very aggressive cat with feral tendencies - I have raised him from 7 weeks old and I am pretty much the only person he has ever trusted - and he has bitten me severely on many occasions (in fact he bit me at the vet on Friday when I took him in) – and he bit me so badly at the vet once when he was young the vet actually told me to put him down. Over the years I have learned to avoid his triggers, create a sanctuary for him and love the big, bad, biter for who he is. He is difficult for two vet techs to handle let alone just myself at home - when I clip his nails he creates quite the fuss but he does let me get through it - he does not like to be handled or confined. All that being said I am concerned that doing the sub Q fluids at home will create trauma for both of us - I know getting them on board early is key to successful quality long-term care for kidney failure - I want to do it - but I am hesitant. I will muster the courage to try - but if he responds so poorly to it I don't know if I want to torture him - his home is where he feels safe. Phoebe is another personality entirely - and if it were her there would be no issue. Do you know of anyone who tried sub Q therapy at home with an aggressive kitty?

Thank you for all of your support!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 8:40am PST 
Hi Kaci - thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear you have CRF as well.

Thank you for the links - I have been to both sites and you are right they have tons of great information. Joey tried the Purina NF last night and again for breakfast and he ate some - he didn't reject it outright. I have another cat in the house - and both Phoebe and Joey are grazers - they don't eat their whole meal at a given time - so feeding them separate foods now is proving to be a challenge. I can't lock them up in separate rooms all day - so I am looking for a way to encourage them to eat their food in one sitting so I can pick up the dishes and not worry that Joey is eating the Fancy Feast and Phoebe is eating the Purina NF - I know it won't hurt her but it's not nutritionally complete for a healthy 5 year old. Any advice on that would be great! Other than the CRF Joey's vet does not believe he has any complications - no high blood pressure - his phosphorus is normal - and no anemia. Also, given his temperament he said we would wait for the next round of bloodwork before we approach sub Q fluids. I am so grateful for all the advice and support - it's a helpless feeling - but I am over the initial shock now and focused on quality of life.

Thanks again!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Wed Apr 3, '13 6:59am PST 
Thank you Beep - I appreciate your response. I just don't want to do the wrong thing here so any information is helpful. I have learned that a diet low in protein and low in phosphorus is what is recommended - but there are two schools of thought - some feel better quality protein is needed not less protein. It's very confusing. He is a wet food eater already (both of my cats are all wet food). More research to do! If anyone else has any info or advice I would appreciate it! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:05pm PST 
Hi Iba thank you for your response!

Joey is acting just fine - he is energetic, playful, seeking out affection - what prompted me to see the vet is that he was vomiting nightly for about a week - no food or hair - just bile - and he started drinking out of the toilet again. So because of his history of bladder stones and the fact that he is on an all wet diet I became concerned that he was increasing his water intake. The vet did blood and urine and the specific gravity was 1.015 - with elevated kidney values however the phosphorus was normal. After we got the antiemetic on board his appetite came back with vengeance - so he is eating normally - just an heightened thirst drive. I am realistic - he is 14 - I certainly don't want to create more harm by putting him through an ordeal only to have him spend his remaining time with us in misery - but I am willing to do what I can. Any advice on the diet specifically would be helpful - I am not a fan of the vet endorsed brands so if there are better options please let me know. I will talk to the vet about sub Q fluids - when they are necessary - and see if we can do it. He is my baby and I don't want to lose him - but I realize he is an old kitty so I think I am just going to take it day by day.

Thank you for your help!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Joey

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 10:17am PST 
Okay many of you may know me for being able to give advice to other pawparents but I am stuck and I am now in need of help.

Joey was just diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. I am devastated. I lost a cat to Acute Renal Failure and I can't get past that experience. Joey is 14 - 14 lbs. (was 22 lbs.) had a bout of bladder stones in 2006 - struvite stones, had surgery and no reoccurrence. He is on an all wet food diet of Fancy Feast because that is all he will eat. He gets 1/2 tsp. of MiraLax to combat chronic constipation daily. He gets crunchy cookies every day for his dental health. Currently the doctor has him on an antiemetic to stop the vomiting and it has helped. I have another cat in the house (Phoebe) and they co-feed so I know that will most likely need to change as she is healthy and only 5 years old.

I am desperate for all the information you can provide - what to look out for - what to ask - how to be prepared - diets, etc.!!! For example a friend just told me to get him off the tap water - I have hard water - and offer him distilled instead - is this something I should do?

The vet told me to take a few days and think about things before we speak again and come up with a care plan. Any and all advice is welcome!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Joey, Apr 9 9:48 am

Cat Health > Constipated Kitty - help!
Joey

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 9:26am PST 
Another way to get more water in them is to use tuna water - not oil - tuna packed in water - drain the can and then add more water to it - then let him lap it up! This is a short term remedy - don't do it every day - but it helps entice them to take more water in even when it hurts. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Mar 25 4:16 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.