Postings by Sylvia (A Tribute)

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Who's Feeling Silly > Looking for black kitties with a white spot on their chest¡
Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '12 6:10pm PST 
Sylvia had a little white triangle on her chest, and a bigger one on her lower stomach that looked like bikini bottoms. Does that count? laugh out loud
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Felix, Oct 20 2:09 pm

Kitten Corner > To neuter or not to neuter, that is the question
Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 5:48pm PST 
You say you don't believe in dissection but a neuter is surgery, not dissection. Do you believe in surgery for health reasons? What about something like removal of an infected appendix, or spleen?
Sylvia might have lived much longer if she had been spayed before she was allowed to have a litter of kittens(previous owners'). She had breast cancer which metastatized, after surgery to remove cancerous tissue.
[notify]

» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Ben, Mar 10 2:47 am

Behavior & Training > NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 5:26pm PST 
We have a dewclawed cat for many years and she never did any of those things! Sylvia was front-declawed by her previous owners. She did not bite, urinate on sofas or destroy anything. She was very sweet and friendly(but shy.)
She never acted in pain, or seemed to be bothered by not having her claws. I don't think the toes were painful, because she used to stretch herself out, grab the edge of a chair with her toes and pull hard as if she was sharpening her claws and if they were painful I doubt she would have done that so vigorously. She'd also let me play with her paws without minding.
The only time she peed inappropriately was when she had kidney failure and could not help it.
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 18 10:51 am

Cat Health > Important study on IBD & small cell GI lymphoma! Please read

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Sat Nov 26, '11 8:20pm PST 
The one that Tink mentioned.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sylvia (A Tribute), Nov 26 8:20 pm

Cat Health > Important study on IBD & small cell GI lymphoma! Please read

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Sun Nov 20, '11 3:38pm PST 
I wish you could find a way to contact that news program! Sylvia passed away from metastatis of mammary adenocarcinoma.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sylvia (A Tribute), Nov 26 8:20 pm

Cat Health > Does your vet declaw cats?
Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Sat Nov 19, '11 3:11pm PST 
There is nothing about it on my vet's website either, because it's not something she advertises or just offers to people. It is something she will only do as a last resort if the owner insists, after she has suggested/tried many other options and not something she does regularly (I've only seen once.)
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Memphis, Nov 20 4:45 pm

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Mon Nov 14, '11 1:53pm PST 
Yeah I love my vet and the fact that she does this procedure is not enough to make me not go to her... If it was something they pushed that would be a different matter but I've never heard it even brought up except when the owner wants to do it. When that happens they will give alternative options, but if they can't convince the owner otherwise and the alternative is the cat is going to lose its home, they will do the procedure.

Scooter that reminds me of something that happened when my vet first opened... Actually it was either before she opened or just after she opened her new hospital. I was working/volunteering there, and a woman came in and told us there was a rabbit down the block that looked like it had been hit by a car. The vet was out so the office manager and I took a box and went to see if we could catch it. We couldn't see the condition very well because it was dark but we brought it in, and the vet came back right then. We told her about it and she said if it could be saved it would probably need someone to bring it home and care for it overnight (I offered since I had experience with rabbits). Then she went to take a look. Unfortunately the rabbit was in worse shape than we thought, and it was obvious it would not be able to recover. So the vet ended up giving an injection to euthanize it instead... The fact that she was willing to work to save this wild rabbit was I thought very compassionate... My vet and the staff have also taken in stray cats and kittens before and treated them, boarded them at the clinic until they could find homes.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Memphis, Nov 20 4:45 pm

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 1:26pm PST 
Also wanted to add not all declawed cats have issues. Sylvia was declawed by her previous owners before we adopted her (they had it done when she was spayed, this was many years ago when it was more common.) She never had any problems caused by the declawing with pain, using the litterbox, etc...
She actually did not seem to notice there was anything different. She would still "sharpen her claws" on things even though the claws were not there, her paws were definitely not sore otherwise she would not have been able to vigorous 'sharpening' them like that (if it was sore it would have been too painful and she would not have been doing it). She could defend herself quite well by giving a strong swipe with her paw and if she got playfully-aggressive (usually when she had catnip) she'd roll over and kick with her back claws. She was not generally aggressive although she did not like dogs so she would sometimes chase my terrier across the house and then get him cornered and start swatting at him, she obviously could hold her own (although she was lucky that my terrier did not get defensive, and of course I discouraged her.)
The only time she ever had litter issues is when she was a senior and developed CRF and was peeing outside the box, but this was unrelated to her being declawed.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Memphis, Nov 20 4:45 pm

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 11:39am PST 
My vet does not advertise it or offer it to people as a routine service but she will do a declaw if the owner insists on it. However she will offer alternatives first, she even has some cats who come in and she puts Soft Paws on them periodically as an alternative to declawing.
As far as food she recommends high quality foods to people and although she does have prescription food (Royal Canin) she also stocks Instinct and NOW Grain Free and raw bones for dogs.

I actually watched my vet to a declaw (only one that was ever scheduled when I worked there) and I keep hearing how horrible the procedure is to watch but to tell you the truth to me it looked a lot like a nail trim, not like some awful horror show.
I know it is removing the ends of the toes and I know the problems with it and would never have it done to one of my cats, so I am not saying it is a good thing. I just was surprised at how quick and simple it looked compared to the horror stories I heard about the procedure itself before.
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Memphis, Nov 20 4:45 pm

Cat Health > Cat ringworm--Is it gone?
Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 9:37am PST 
My vet says she considered ringworm cleared when the cat has had two negative cultures.

The spots on the chin could be feline acne, but I'd ask your vet to take a look.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lucy Nooner, Sep 13 11:23 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.