Postings by Panther

GO!

Cat Health > Need advice for Luxating Patella in an older cat

Panther

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:06pm PST 
Hey everyone. Panther was recently diagnosed with a luxating patella in one of her rear legs. I just took her to the clinic that I work at and we didn't do rads to begin with because the vet thought that it would essentially fix itself within a few weeks, given that we keep her confined.

Well, its been a few weeks and she hasn't shown any real improvement. She limps a little some days, and then other times she'll hold the leg completely off the ground. Both vets at my clinic whom I trusted moved at the same time, so I don't have a vet at the moment that I trust to take her to and I'm not sure what to do. She'll be going in later this week to meet a new vet and see if there's any options, but I was hoping someone here could give me some input too. I'm at a loss because I don't know what to do cry

I recently moved out so I could finish college and she's with my parents, which is partly why she didn't get to go back to the vet sooner. If I'd known she was still having such issues on some days, I would have helped her sooner and that makes me feel absolutely sick. I've already decided that next weekend I'm going to sneak her into my apartment with me where she can have more peace (Aspen keeps trying to play with her and has knocked her down a few times) and I can keep a closer eye on her since my parents obviously aren't going to.

Has anyone ever had a cat with luxating patellas? Especially an older cat, since Panther is going on 13. I know that surgery is the most common treatment, but I don't know if it would be worth it to put her through such a huge surgery, or even if I can find a surgeon experienced with this sort of thing. I'm really not ready to lose her to the rainbow bridge so I hope we can manage her somehow.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tigger, Jan 23 8:20 pm

Cat Health > Which vaccinations should we get?
Panther

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '12 11:03am PST 
I wouldn't think it would matter if it was labeled as a 1yr vaccine. You're vaccinating to give your cat antibodies against certain things. Those antibodies don't implode after exactly 366 days. I believe that any vaccine can be given minimally and last for years. I'm not exactly talking the vaccines labeled as "three years," but more like lifelong. For mine, I do two sets of boosters as a kitten (or three if its a puppy - but that's a different forum wink ), then maybe one booster as an adult, and then that's it way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Blaze (Striped Seven), Mar 11 5:16 pm

Cat Health > Which vaccinations should we get?

Panther

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 4:02am PST 
What vaccines have you given them in the past? I'm assuming the kitten series, but what boosters since then? That'll make it easier to guess at what to give.

The most current AAHA guide says every 3 years at the absolutely most, knowing that vaccines generally last longer than three years.
[notify]

» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Blaze (Striped Seven), Mar 11 5:16 pm

Cat Health > What's the best way to keep a kitty's teeth clean?

Panther

Purred: Wed Feb 1, '12 5:33pm PST 
Thanks Zack! The plaque off looks really good. Most of the other ones out there have things that are toxic to cats in them and I wouldn't want to take that chance, even in small doses. I'm gonna try to find some of that around me way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Napoleon, Feb 11 7:44 pm

Panther

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 4:01pm PST 
I'll have to try that, thanks way to go
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Napoleon, Feb 11 7:44 pm

Raw Food Diet > Occasional Raw for Clean Teeth?
Panther

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 12:37pm PST 
Thanks for posting this thread, R&R! I was about to ask the same thing myself and you saved me a lot of time dancing
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 31 4:57 pm

Panther

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 10:06am PST 
I've tried raw before with my dogs and it definitely didn't work out too well. Where I live at, its very hard to find enough variety for a raw diet, and I haven't been able to find any organs except for liver. I'll definitely pop over to the raw forum and see about supplementing with raw some to clean her teeth though. Thanks!

I also thought about different gels/water additives/toothpaste, but then I looked at all the different ingredients for them and haven't been able to find anything that has kitty-friendly ingredients. Do you know any specific brands?
[notify]

» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Napoleon, Feb 11 7:44 pm

Panther

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 6:51pm PST 
Just wondering how you all keep your cats' teeth clean? Panther is inside/outside, so she usually hunts and eats small critters, so that helps her teeth stay clean quite a bit. She's going to become an inside cat 100% soon though, so I'm worried about her teeth. I'd like to avoid ever having to have a dental done at the vet, but its hard to find cat-friendly dental stuff. Any ideas?
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Napoleon, Feb 11 7:44 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.