Postings by Minxy (1987-2008)

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Senior Cats > Bathing senior cats??
Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 12:14am PST 
If she was OK with baths before she should be OK now but just make sure that the water temp is not too hot and there are no hard edges as she'll be more prone to injury now.

If she is not too bad or as a maintenance thing after the bath you could use a grooming mit and pet wipes suitable for cats. That would be less stressful and they are quite effective on elderly cats.

The last thing is that lack of grooming can be a sign that she isn't feeling well so you should mention it to your vet who's treating her CRF and see if she needs a check up or adjustment of her meds.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Baltster 1990 ~ 2011, Feb 6 3:49 am

Senior Cats > Senility
Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Sat Oct 1, '11 12:03am PST 
Miranda, make sure you get a check up at your vet as there are a couple of medical issues that can cause yowling and both are common in older cats and easily treatable if you have them.

The first is high blood pressure. You should check with your vet that they have a blood pressure monitor for cats and if not find another vet that has one so you can get checked. Deafness can also cause yowling and can be caused by high blood pressure.

The second is high thyroid levels / hyperthyroidism which can be checked with a blood test. This can also cause weight loss as it revs up your metabilism and you burn more caloriies.

Both these issues can easily be treated with pills that your mum can give you or mix in with your food. Also get your vet to make sure you are not dehydrated which is also common in older cats and can make you confused and mimic senility. If you are the vet will be able to advise how to help but you could try mixing water wiht wet food or using a drinking fountain to encourage you to drink more.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Jun 17 1:15 pm

Senior Cats > administering glucosamine

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Wed Jun 15, '11 10:06pm PST 
Louie, like Scooter suggested try the Dasequin or Cosequin. They are more expensive but are flavoured so that they are tasty for cats. Mum tried a giant tub of glucosamine for horses which had the same ingredients but we hated it and when mum tried it herself it had a horrible sharp taste. Uggh....

Also I loved accupuncture and on my profile you can see me dozing during an accupuncture session and a close up of a needle in the "asprin point" for arthritis pain
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Jul 9 7:49 pm

Cat Health > Very old kitty, decisions...

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Sun Jun 5, '11 9:37pm PST 
Cats are pretty adaptable. It was a different situation but Minxy had been in a group room at a sanctuary for 10 years when I adopted her aged 21 and she fit right into my home. Since Sassy is friendly with you I think she could fit into being a house cat with you and she's already used to other cats so would probably get on OK with Maple. The spraying may be more of a problem but you could try using Feliway and maybe setting aside a room for her while you are not there. She may not have very long left but at least you'd be giving her a chance and if she is basically healthy she could have another couple of years. Your vet can give her a check up and blood tests to figure out what is going on and get her any basic care she needs. She may just not be getting enough to eat having to compete with the bigger/younger cats outside.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Angel Hallie (5-15-96/11-7-12), Jun 16 4:56 pm

Cat Health > cerebellar hypoplasia

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Wed Nov 10, '10 9:12pm PST 
I've never had a cat with CH but have met a few. There was a cat with a mild case that came into the SPCA where I volunteer. The previous owner said that she was healthy but she had a funny run like a chicken. When the vet checked her out they diagnosed CH but said it was a mild case and wouldn't get any worse. I think it can be caused if the mother cat gets distemper when they are pregnant and it can be anything from very mild and hardly noticable to being so severe that cats have trouble walking or eating. The good news for Ecko is that it stays at the same level and doesn't get worse over time.

When I visited Best Friends they had a few cats who had more severe cases of CH and were really jerky when they walked. Best Friends takes in a lot of disabled/sick animals from other shelters where they'd be euthanised and either gives them time to find a home or provides a permanent sanctuary. The cats there are very well looked after by staff and vets and get a lot of attention from volunteers. I've pasted a couple links to videos of CH cats there.

This is Masi who's got a really bad case of CH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I79XUlFJELs&feature=related

This is Armstrong who's got a cute little skip when he runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8aOHM0deI
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Blue Ecko Moon, Nov 17 12:05 pm

Cat Health > Getting Old....
Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Sat Sep 4, '10 9:14pm PST 
Misty, the others are right that 12 isn't very old and you could have many more years to go. I made it to 3 weeks shy of my 22nd birthday (104 in human years) and was queen of the cats til the end. I hope you get another 10 years too!

There are lots of different opinions about food. Get the best you can afford (1st few ingredients being meat or fish rather than by products or corn are a good sign) and if you like wet food that is better than dry for older cats.

Getting a health check at the vet with blood/urine tests at least once a year and getting a set of baby scales to check your weight at home once a month is a good idea. If you lose weight get to the vet. This will help identify the common cat old age diseases like hyperthyroidism quickly and when they are much easier to treat.

I'm going to invite you to Olde Furts, a group for senior cats aged 10+. It's a fun group and there are health threads if yiu ever need them. Also there you can enjoy being one of the youngest cats in the club happy dance
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Sep 9 6:59 pm

Cat Health > A fall and a scare...very worried

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Thu Sep 2, '10 6:49pm PST 
It sounds like he was having a seizure as cats rarely do a dead fall like that and how he acted immediately afterwards.

I agree that it's probably a good idea to get advice and a check up from another vet. There are lots of things that can cause seizures and there are meds to control them if needed.

The best thing to do is find a good vet near you who is experienced with cats and go for an exam. If this happens again try to get a video on your phone if possible as this will help show the vet exactly what happened and is better than just a description. They may want to do some tests and often will just ask you to observe you cat to see if was an isolated thing or something causing ongoing seizures that may need more tests/meds.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Blaze (Striped Seven), Sep 4 2:19 pm

Cat Health > Major and Serious health problem

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 7:19pm PST 
The vet school thing is a good idea for Mai Lin and hopefully you'll be able to get some help. One other thing you could try is to contact Best Friends Animal Society (http://www.bestfriends.org/) as they occaisionally take animals with serious medical needs into their guardian angels program. The disadvantage with this is that I think you would have to surrender Mai Lin to them but it may be worth contacting them in case the vet school doesn't work out. If they did take her you'd be sure she'd be well looked after and would get the best possible care. Best Friends also act as a sanctuary of last resort and take in animals from other shelters/rescues with behavioral issues, medical issues, disabilities, old & ugly etc etc. They manage to find homes for about 85% of the animals they take in and provide a permanemt sanctuary for the others.
[notify]

» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by ♥Simon♥, May 11 5:32 pm

Cat Health > my indoor cat is driving me mad

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Sun Feb 28, '10 3:12pm PST 
At 5 months Merlin may be hitting puberty and getting the urge to roam to find female cats. If you can it would be a good idea to got him fixed now rather than waiting til he is 6 months.

You could also try building a catio that would let him be outside but safely enclosed. If you Google catio you'll find lots of examples. This site shows some great catios, some are very very fancy but they'll give you some good ideas of what you could do. http://catioshowcase.com/
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Kisu , Mar 3 4:34 pm

Cat Health > sweet "pee"
Minxy- (1987-2008)

Purred: Wed Feb 24, '10 10:11pm PST 
Another trip to the vets is a good idea especially if she is peeing frequently in small amouints. It's possible the bacteria causing her UTI was resistant to the clavamox and she still has the infection. This happened to Minxy once and they did a culture and a different antibiotic cleared it up.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 3 7:40 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.