Postings by Amber

GO!

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Alfalfa?
Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Tue Jul 23, '13 8:21pm PST 
Any plant substance in food intended for an obligate carnivore is, in the opinion of many (including myself), a filler.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Aug 1 6:41 pm

Raw Food Diet > Any critiques on my recipe?
Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 1:03am PST 
Beef stew pieces
bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
Chicken livers
Boiled whole grain brown rice
Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Blueberries
Flaxseed
an Apple
Raw apple cider vinegar "with the mother"
Olive oil
The Missing Link Ultimate Feline Formula

While I commend your effort to do the best for your pet, I would not feed this for any extended period of time. Cats cannot derive adequate nutrition from plant material, so you need an animal based - fish oil - source of omegas. The missing link contains garlic, which is toxic to cats over time (it causes anemia) and I would not be comfortable feeding it. Spinach causes calcium oxalate crystals in cats and is not recommended. Grains, including rice, should be completely avoided for cats because they have NO dietary requirement for carbs, cause allergies, and contribute to diabetes and obesity. Personally, I would omit the vegetable matter entirely from this recipe. To provide any further analysis, I would need the exact amounts of each item in each batch, but I do also see a potential vitamin e deficiency as well.

That pet food company adds extremely small amounts of plant matter, around 5%, for two reasons. First the bone content is a bit high and they need something to help it pass easily, and second, consumers think fruits and veggies are healthy. They are healthy, for humans, but obligate carnivores don't need them. That said, with the exception of the spinach, rice, and missing link, if you want to keep adding the plant material in VERY small amounts, you won't hurt anything unless your pet has an intolerance to one of the ingredients.

Provided your proportions are correct, you may just need to add fish oil, vitamin e, a b-complex, and a source of iodine (I use lite salt). However, as I stated, I cant be sure of that unless I know exactly what you are feeding including the amounts.

I would like to direct you to catinfo.org, which has a lot of information and an excellent recipe. I feel I should let you know that a lot of people are re-examining the whole think feathers and long ears thing, though. While I do not feed fish other than the oil because of the risks it poses, I don't stick to poultry and rabbit exclusively. Amber quite enjoys beef, goat, llama, and venison as well, and Dr. Pierson's recipe works with ANY meat (except fish). I also don't recommend feeding pork, but the jury is out on the safety of pork so whether or not to feed it - or anything else for that matter - is entirely your decision.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mandy, Jul 22 10:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > NV raw bone content

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 10:59pm PST 
Yes, it is perfectly safe and is actually recommended to dilute the bone content with plain raw meat. Chicken hearts are good, but any muscle meat will do.
[notify]

» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Jul 11 4:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Kitten doesn't eat much of anything

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 9:49pm PST 
Small kittens have VERY small stomachs. To avoid wasting food, try freezing his raw food in ice cube trays so that you can thaw out smaller portions. Additionally, if he is truly not eating enough, you may want to get some forti-flora to sprinkle on the food, as it smells and tastes very good to cats and kittens, but just use a little bit, like you would put salt and pepper on your food, as animal digest is a nasty ingredient, but it almost never fails to entice a cat to eat.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 3 4:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Research: what food do you feed and why?

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 11:27pm PST 
I keep some canned food on hand for emergencies. I feed Hound & Gatos (non-fish varieties) and Tiki Cat (non-fish varieties).

I do not like ANY other current brands because of the companies who own other foods, recall history, non-species appropriate or low-quality ingredients (anything that is not human-grade meat), and/or dangerous chemicals like BHT, BHA, ethoxyquin, menadione, etc.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Miss Tiny Burr Burr, Jul 12 10:01 am

Food & Nutrition > What food is best?
Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 12:14am PST 
Tiki Cat is about 3.00 per 6oz can for the chicken flavors on petfooddirect.com. The fish flavors are cheaper but really shouldn't be fed.

Hound & Gatos is between $1.30(chicken) and 1.72(rabbit) per 5.5oz can at petfooddirect.com.

These prices don't include shipping, but I always order food when they have one of their free shipping promotions going on so I never pay for shipping. Pet360.com also has good prices.

They don't make treats at the moment.
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 21 1:54 pm

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 9:07pm PST 
I try not to feed multiple proteins in the same meal, but when I make a batch of cat food (6lbs of meat) I now mix up the supplements in a large measuring cup and mix 1/3 of the supplement mix with two lbs of one kind of meat, portion it, rinse the bowl, put another 1/3 in with a different kind of meat, mix and portion, and do the same for the last bit, that way Amber isn't eating the same thing every day. For example, this month it is chicken, turkey, and goat. Next month I will be splitting the supplement mix between beef, rabbit, and duck.

As far as commercial cat food, there are only two brands I allow in the house for emergency situations: Tiki Cat (Koolina Luau and Puka Puka Luau only because all the others are fish based) and Hound & Gatos (Chicken, beef, lamb, rabbit). I personally don't feed wellness because the quality seems to be hit or miss, and I don't like giving her food that contains carrageenan, or really anything that has more than just meat, water, and vitamins/minerals in it, even occasionally.

Neither brand has any byproducts, fillers/grains or nasty chemicals in it, and both use USDA inspected meat. I believe Tiki to be superior because it is produced in a facility actually along side human foods and is held to the same standards (and it looks and smells like shredded chicken in a can that one buys for chicken salad - no mystery meat). Tiki is, however, VERY expensive. If you can swing it on a daily basis, though, you will be happy to know that Tiki is adding more non-fish varieties in the fall.
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 21 1:54 pm

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 12:31am PST 
Yes, I make my own raw food using the recipe from http://feline-nutrition.org/

However, if you are not comfortable going the raw route, you can still do home-cooked. There is a supplement called Alnutrin that can be added to either raw or cooked meat and it is balanced. There are other options but they are more expensive. You can buy it here.

It is fairly easy to make the food with both the recipe and the premix, and it takes less than an hour to make a months worth of food with the raw, a bit longer if cooking and using the premix.

I have a post here that breaks down the steps and average cost to make the raw food, which is less than a can of friskies per day since I buy my meat in bulk.

If you are cooking the food and using alnutrin, it is even easier, because since you cook the meat, you can just go to the grocery store and pick up ground beef/chicken/turkey/lamb/whatever, a bit of liver GENTLY cook it, let it cool, and mix with water and premix then portion and freeze. It is a LOT less complicated than it sounds, I promise. And, once again, it is cheaper than buying good commercial canned food, and you can control the source/quality of the meat. If you have any other questions, just let me know.
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 21 1:54 pm

Food & Nutrition > Recommendations to Pass On

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 12:21am PST 
There are two Tiki Cat varieties that do not contain sea food, Koolina Luau and Puka Puka Luau. The first is chicken and egg, and the second is just chicken. If you can find those two varieties for a reasonable price, it is an excellent food from one of the better companies out there. One of only two commercial brands that I allow in my house. It is absolutely zero carb, does not contain any nasty ingredients, and is truly human grade, being produced in a facility alongside food intended for human consumption.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bubbles, Jun 23 2:42 am

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 12:12am PST 
Catinfo.org has some great information, as does http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2010/12/the-7-best-natural-commerc ial-cat-foods-so-far/

You want to look for a food with:
No byproducts
No un-named meat sources (no words like meat, animal, poultry)
No grains like corn/wheat/soy/rice or other carbs like potatoes/sweat potatoes/peas/barley
No BHT, BHA, Ethoxyqin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (synthetic K) or carrageenan
No Fish/Seafood

I personally make my cat's food, but I do keep "emergency" cans on hand, and at the moment the only two brands that are allowed in my house are Hound & Gatos and Tiki Cat (plain chicken and the chicken and egg varieties only)
[notify]

» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 21 1:54 pm

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.