Postings by Mika

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Senior Cats > Distressed and torn...
Mika

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 12:46pm PST 
Please be sure to explain your financial situation to your vet because your vet may have ways of getting you some help with affording the meds. Our vet is very helpful in helping clients with financial issues work things like this out. She often has clients who try out a medication but then find their animal either can't tolerate it or won't take it and then they return the meds to the vet so she can pass them along to other clients in need. For example, I refused to take the Calcitrol my mom tried to give me to help my kidneys, so she returned the meds to the vet to pass along to another client with a cat with CRF.
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Louis Armstrong - ILM, Jun 22 10:31 am

Cats and a Clean Home > How to stop a cat from peeing on the floor
Mika

Purred: Thu May 31, '12 2:15am PST 
As a last resort, would you consider trying a diaper? I wear one because I'm in the end stages of CRF and I constantly have to pee so I was just picking a close spot to do it. Now that I have my diaper, my mom lets me pee wherever I want but I still poop in the litter box like a good boy.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ophelia, Jun 6 3:42 am

Food & Nutrition > Mom wants me to eat healthy wet food...!

Mika

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 6:17pm PST 
Do you like your food very very mushy? I do, so mom puts my regular pate food through the magic bullet (like a mini blender/food processor) for me and it makes it almost like a pudding. I will eat lots of pate food that way, but hardly any if she gives it to me right out of the can.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mika, Apr 17 6:17 pm

Behavior & Training > Inappropriate peeing.

Mika

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '12 7:35pm PST 
Yes, cats absolutely can have dominance issues and they do establish a hierarchy in multicat households.

Would you consider trying a diaper? I wear one because I pee everywhere--not out of spite or anything but because my kidneys are failing and I have a constant urgent need to pee. With my diaper on, I can pee away and none of my human's stuff is affected. My diapers are machine washable and my mom just puts half of a human incontinence pad in them to catch the pee. The diaper even has a tail hole so I can poop in the litter box normally (which I always do).

I am not the first kitty in my house to wear a diaper. Priscilla is at the bridge now, but she had to wear a diaper because she had a behavioral peeing problem. The diaper allowed her to have full access to the house without ruining anything.

We get our diapers from this lady, but there are probably other people out there who make them:

http://www.castlepaws.net/studpants.html
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mika, Apr 12 7:35 pm

Food & Nutrition > Canned food for constipated (fat) cat?

Mika

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:58am PST 
I have problems with constipation too. My Mom has mixed pumpkin in my food and that worked well. She also used to mix Metamucil Free and Clear powdered fiber in with my wet food and that also worked well for a long time, but because my constipation is related to other health issues, I now have to have a stool softener mixed in with my food twice a day.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Apr 1 5:38 pm

Food & Nutrition > Why do vets push Science Diet?
Mika

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:55am PST 
I have CRF and I was on Science Diet k/d for a few years. That did work well for my problem, but then I decided I didn't like it anymore. My vet told my Mom she should feed me any sort of wet food I would eat but that it needed to be wet food that was formulated for "maintenance of adult cats" and not "all ages" because foods formulated for all ages would contain far too much calcium for me. My Mom had been feeding everyone else Wellness Core, but that is formulated for all ages so it wouldn't be good for me. She looked at the other Wellness foods as well as Merrick and Innova but those are all formulated for all ages as well. In the end, she settled on Science Diet Turkey and Giblets formulated for cats 7 years and up. She's not overly fond of Science Diet as a food, but it is one of the few brands with an adult maintenance formula.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tiny, Apr 15 4:02 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kitties with Hyperthyroidism, I gots a quicky question

Mika

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:47am PST 
When I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism my vet didn't recommend a prescription diet at all. I just take a chicken-flavored treat every morning that my Mom says is medicine.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mika, Mar 31 11:47 am

Behavior & Training > Inappropriate Urination -- Bengal Cat -- (long post, sorry)

Mika

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:40pm PST 
As a last result, would you consider a kitty diaper? I wear one now and they're really not so bad. I don't even try to take mine off.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mr D - D'boat #19, Jan 24 12:41 pm

Behavior & Training > Problem with 11 yr old female

Mika

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 7:23pm PST 
What sort of poop is it? Is it smallish hard lumps? If so, your kitty might be constipated. I'm 13 now, and I used to get constipated a lot. My Mom used to mix some Metamucil Free and Clear in with my food and that worked for a while, but now she has to give me a stool softener twice a day.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 9:32 am

Senior Cats > Keeping an old kitty healthy
Mika

Purred: Sat Jan 14, '12 12:36pm PST 
Something else that helps is having blood work done regularly on a senior kitty. My Mom and Dad adopted me when I was 9 and they had blood work done immediately. It was a good thing they did because it showed I was in the beginning stages of kidney disease and had hyperthyroidism. I immediately went on meds for the hyperthyroidism and a prescription food that helped to maintain my kidney levels. I get blood work done twice a year to check my kidney values and things were very stable until this past fall, when the blood work showed my kidney disease is progressing. I now refuse to eat the prescription food and the vet says that's fine, as long as I eat something formulated for adult cats only. My Mom adds a phosphorus binder to my food twice a day and I'll be starting on subQ fluids soon.
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Apr 15 8:27 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.