Postings by Olive (March 1998 - November 2

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Nobody Wuvs Me...
Olive (March- 1998 - November 2

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 12:38am PST 
What a rough start to your great new life! I know how scared you are, but with some quiet, loving time from your Foster meow mom you should find a new home with someone special!

My previous family had me first and I was SO happy for so many years... then they had children hehehe It wasn't too bad until the kids got older and began pulling my tail, and kicking me :-( When they had another baby, I peed on it's bed, hid under their bed and refused to come out anymore. Really there IS only so much a cat can take.

They moved everything under the bed for me, but it wasn't happy anymore -- instead of getting rid of their NEW kids... *I* was given to a rescue group for adoption AFTER they front declawed me.

As you can imagine I was JUST like you - not friendly to anyone that wanted to adopt me, and not happy at my foster mom's either... Then my new meow mom and dad walked in and said they wanted to adopt the 2 OLDEST cats - and 1 was ME!!

It took me a long time to trust they were quiet, nice people but I did slowly warm up to them, and they kept trying.

There is a special person out there for YOU too, so let your foster mommy pet and try to love on you (maybe you can work your way into HER heart hehehehe).

Bless you for being so scared she caught you happy dance
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥Salem♥, Apr 21 7:04 pm

Cats & Travel > A Question About Long Driving Trips...

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 2:34am PST 
umm a late response smile

We all travel for 8 months a year, yes call meow-mom crazy! But, a few carriers are always left "open" and out in the house, so some of us like to sleep in them for our naps... no fear of them!

Then we have a "cat/dog gate" preventing us 4 from driving the car with meow-mom so we are all in the back end of the SUV... we ride about 9 hours a day across country for several days at a time, before stopping for a few months... Then we are off again.

Potty box - oh yea Lucky LOVES to make a nice stinky about 1/2 hour into our first day - I think it's because Meow-mom HAS to stop and clean it hehehe

But our carriers are locked down with bungie cords, then opened after we settle in... Bonnie pukes the first 1/2 hour (about the time Lucky has a nice stinky), we stop and everything is clean again and off we go!

Most of us don't eat in the car, but there is dry food available, and lots of fresh water - we sometimes will drink when stopped at a rest area and the car quits moving!

After we all realize it's not the quick Vet trip, we quit "talking" to meow-mom (or yelling at her), and go into "zombie" sleep mode unless one of us moves around and disturbs another!

It's NOT hard to travel with your kitties, they do get used to it - really they do!

and when we do stop at night, we get to Snuggle with meow-mom and dad smile So it's all good !
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 4 3:47 pm

Kitten Corner > Awaiting Kittens

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Tue Dec 30, '08 4:22pm PST 
Agreed! Torties are "talky", Calico's have "cat-a-tude" laugh out loud

so Best to get one that will work well within your current cat home, rather than pick for color.

Black & Whites (maybe not all) but everyone I've owned, and the tons I've fostered are very loving, and pretty laid back hehehe

Bonnie - our Norweign Forest wants to be an "only child", Olive the older tortie wants to be an "only child" but both LOVE our Black & White Lucky Streak.

Sandy aka Sandia loves to pester the older tortie, and both are quiet the talkers.

Just our 4 cents worth

wave
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Olive (March 1998 - November 2, Dec 30 4:22 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need some advise/help taming a semi-feral.

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Tue Jun 24, '08 6:32pm PST 
aw you and her are doing GREAT for just a week or so!!!

Agree with Margo - remove hand but don't leave room.

Both my semi-feral and feral STILL want to "gnaw" or nip at us when they get TOO much petting - they have been with us for about 5 years now - so it's just over stimulation that brings it out (that and my meow-dad LET'S the feral gnaw on him before moving his hand away MOL)...

Can't wait to hear how far you both have come in a couple months!!! Way to go happy dance
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Misha, Jul 17 10:53 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need some advise/help taming a semi-feral.

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 4:51pm PST 
God Bless you for wanting to take the time for your new forever friend!

I've had more luck with keeping them in a smaller space - tried the spare bedroom, but it seems to overwhelm them you know?

Our small spare bathroom has become "the haven" We walk in frequently and almost always talking outside the door first, calling their name to alert them we are coming in - Also like said before, with a treatie

I sit on the edge of the tub and usually play with a ball pushing it around the tub letting them wonder what I'm doing while they eat. Since it's much smaller, less hiding places though I keep an open carrier in their for them to "retreat" to and sleep in - I DO like to make all our cats "carrier" friendly you know?

Your doing FINE taking it slow! I think you're going to have the most bonded cat when it's time - our 2 ferals are the most out-going in our gang now - though it took months to get them there.

One still doesn't like parts of her body petted - I often wonder if this was from some mean spirited person kicking her or ?? Both of our still tend to gnaw/bite when I "over-pet" them MOL and one has bitten me really well when I had to give her pills (ugh for 10 days)

Wouldn't change a thing and I know you are going to have the most loving cat when your done Way To Go!
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Misha, Jul 17 10:53 am

Laws & Legislation > Why are violent news accounts allowed on this Forum?

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Sun Jun 15, '08 3:56am PST 
I agree ! For some people (wee ones or adults) perhaps a disclaimer or warning before getting into a heart wrenching story would help

On the other side, maybe some eye opening can help get legislature changed! I just don't want to see anyone in here hurt so much over something they may read
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Catster HQ, Jul 7 9:46 am

Laws & Legislation > My Ferals story

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Sun Jun 15, '08 3:47am PST 
Alley Cat Allies
7920 Norfolk Avenue
Suite 600
Bethesda, MD 20814-2525

Phone: 240-482-1980
Fax: 240-482-1990

ACA office hours are between 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. When leaving a message on our voicemail be sure to include your name, street address, and your daytime and evening phone numbers.
[notify]

» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Olive (March 1998 - November 2, Jun 15 3:47 am

Behavior & Training > Is there any big differences between owning a Decalwed Cat and an Undeclawed Cat?

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Sun Jun 15, '08 1:28am PST 
*Purrs* our whole "cat gang" is so proud of you!!! You are doing a great job thinking this through and going slowly!

All the things you have to think about = your dog, your dad, and yourself wanting a loving OLDER sweet kitty!

I know all stories of cats declawed that come into shelters and rescue groups - from so many situations. Ca

We were very blessed to be chosen by Bonnie to adopt her at 10 years old from a rescue group - She was front declawed and is the sweetest, loving Norweign Forest . She didn't get put there because she had "issues" - Her original meow-mom was an elderly lady who couldn't keep her cuz she had to go into the nursing home.

The same day we also were blessed with Olive - Her foster mom couldn't touch her much, but we did hear her sad little story - None of which was her fault, NOR from being front declawed LOL

BUT - you have to think of the biggest question - What is your dog like? Is it a small, friendly dog? Has it been around cats before? Will it try to hurt a cat that has no front claws to smack it and teach it - HEY I'm NOT a chew toy smile If you dog wants to tussle with this new cat as a playmate - maybe it would be best to get one with claws to keep him in "check" until they know each other better, then you can always try training or the glue on soft paws

I agree with all the above - first the personality of your new cat counts more than claws or no claws - But you'll know which one - Your special cat will pick you - or maybe you'll get lucky and TWO lucky older cats will choose YOU laugh out loud

If you do see another Older cat you are interested in - See if anyone knows WHY they were taken into rescue, or dumped at a shelter - I would also ask if they would let you bring your DOG in to "semi-meet" the cat to see how they each react before making a final decision.

ohh another long typing red face

It's that dang talking younger cat of ours MOL May you be showered with blessings from your new older cat!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 1:14 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rescuers in Rock Creek Ohio?

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 11:27pm PST 
Meow-Mom here - Getting ready to make a 5 day trip up to Rock Creek Ohio to setup camp for about 2 months.

Does anyone do any rescue work around Rock Creek Ohio? I think our campground is umm Normal? Ohio where I'll be putting out my fresh water and food to see "who's" in the area needing fixing.

Otherwise, please contact me if I can help YOU - I can't foster as we'll be in our motor home with our 4 cats, but I can help feed colonies, help with TNR etc...

*purrs*

Bonnie, Olive, Lucky Streak and Sandia aka Sandy baby - NOT looking forward to a 5 day car trip MEOUTTTT
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Olive (March 1998 - November 2, Jun 13 11:27 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Feral Cat?

Olive I LOVE- Olive

Purred: Wed Jun 11, '08 8:25pm PST 
Any news on the status of this kitty??
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Binks, Jun 11 9:35 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.