Postings by Georgie

GO!

Choosing the Right Cat > I can\'t replace Chip, but.....

Georgie

Water Girl

Purred: Sun Apr 27, '08 1:43pm PST 
Thank you so much for your post. We had Chip's funeral a couple hours ago, which was quite sad. (it was difficult officiating while bawling) But Chip is buried in a beautiful spot with many birds singing overhead. I'm sure he would have loved that! (I read on another post about how it's better to cremate rather than bury, because raccoons can dig up the body, so I made my husband haul several loads of rocks and boulders to cover the grave. Chip should be safe now!)

We've spent a bit of time today searching the internet for a kitten. While on the phone with a nearby shelter worker, I started sobbing, and the worker advised me that it would probably be best for me and for Georgie if we waited a couple weeks before adopting a new kitten. She said that Georgie probably needs some time to grieve and also some time to "get lonely." She also said that we might be better off getting an older kitten who can defend himself if Georgie doesn't welcome him with open paws.

She probably has a point about waiting a little longer before adopting, but it's just too weird here with only one cat. I will try to hold off a little longer before adopting, but that doesn't mean we can't look!

I think I'm still in shock that Chippy is gone. Georgie has been sniffing the spots where Chip used to nap. We did let her view Chip's body before burial to provide her with some closure, but I can't help but wonder what's going through her kitty mind. It's so heartbreaking.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Louis Armstrong - ILM, May 1 8:43 am

Choosing the Right Cat > I can\'t replace Chip, but.....
Georgie

Water Girl

Purred: Sat Apr 26, '08 2:56pm PST 
This morning I had to put my kitty baby Chip to sleep, due to urinary blockage issues. I am distraught, and swore that I would never even consider getting another cat--I just get too attached.

We still have Georgie, who was adopted as a kitten when Chip was 3. She is now 5.

Chip and Georgie always got along great -- until about two weeks ago when Chip's condition worsened. She wanted nothing to do with him and even tried to attack him on several occasions, which broke my heart.

Since she came into our home, Georgie has been the alpha cat.

My question is this: Do you think that, eventually, Georgie would welcome another brother or sister into the home, or are we best off being a one-cat family? If we did decide to adopt another cat, would it be best to get another neutered male? Kitten or adult?

I know I'm not ready for this at this time, but somehow it's comforting thinking about saving another cat when I've lost mine.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Louis Armstrong - ILM, May 1 8:43 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Napoleon is gone

Georgie

Water Girl

Purred: Sat Apr 26, '08 2:45pm PST 
I can empathize. I had to put my beloved Chip to sleep this morning as well. It's so hard, isn't it? But our kitties are in a better place now. We're the only ones who are suffering.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maggie May (In Loving Memory), Apr 27 9:39 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.