Postings by Tup Tim

GO!

Kitten Corner > Seal-point Siamese had black and gray kittens. Unusual?

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Tue Jan 21, '14 7:07pm PST 
Back in the late 60's my brother and his wife adopted a seal point siamese female.
She came from a shelter and was pregnant when they got her. She had a litter of 4 black and gray ( blue) kittens.
My mom adopted one of those kittens (a pretty blue girl) and bred her to a seal point boy. She had 2 kittens - a seal point male who's physique was that of a rugged alley cat and a ebony black kitten who was shaped like a siamese.
It was an interesting experiment in color variations. All of the kittens were placed in good homes. We kept the 3rd generation seal point alley cat - His name was Mia Pho.
None of the off spring had any white markings. Our thinking is that this maybe how the Korat, the Russian Blue, Burmese, and possibly other breeds started.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Uno, Mar 24 10:26 am

Senior Cats > senior cat in a new home
Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Wed Feb 22, '12 4:53pm PST 
Thanks for your responses. Timmy is getting LOTS of love and attention.
She seems to be settling in fairly well (still being isolated) and has started to eat a little.
My brother said she slept on the bed with him last night, but is still a bit skittish.
If it doesn't work out at his house I will bring Timmy home with me and attempt to settle her in here, but we will give my brother's home a few weeks first.
The only problem might be the dogs, she really is afraid of them, even though she has seen them before. And one of the dogs has some behavior issues. Hopefully things will go smoothly for all.
Thanks again!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Xena Princess Warrior DG#23, Mar 21 2:06 pm

Cat Health > Allergy causing boo to loose some fur on tummy and back legs

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 7:53pm PST 
A friend of mine at work had a cat who recently started GNAWING at himself...he actually created a rather large open area that needed surgical intervention. His family tried to prevent further damage by putting a t-shirt on him and by putting a dressing over the wound before they actually took him into the vet.
I suggested to my friend that this might be caused by food allergies. Her response was "but he's been eating the same food right along"
And that IS the problem. He has developed a possible food allergy..
Her vet has put Morris on a limited diet. I don't think that Morris has been taken in for regular vet visits over the years. He is an indoor cat,from what I know. He has been declawed.
Unfortunately the vet interpreted this as a case of neglect/abuse and animal control has been called in to monitor the situation.
Morris is 14 and has been a loved family member for his whole life.
He is on tramadol (for pain) and an antibiotic for the next 2 weeks.
This is a case of neglect via ignorance, but I think they may be learning, or at least, I hope so.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Feb 19 4:29 pm

Cat Health > Allergy causing boo to loose some fur on tummy and back legs

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 9:25pm PST 
My mom's cat Timmy has been diagnosed with "allergies" - she pulls out massive amounts of her fur. She had been on topical elavil as well as steroids and antibiotics to reduce the inflammationa and reduce the bacterial infection that occurs because of the constant pulling to try stop this, but none of this helped for very long.
I truly believe this is a food allergy, but my mom is not willing to keep her in and to limit her diet. And that is what it will take to try to stop this problem.
A limited diet puts a cat on food that has not ever been introduced before, and hopefully the cat will not develop an allergy to the new food.
Specific allergens are very difficult and expensive to pursue.
Trying a limited diet is your best bet.
Good luck!
Typically this kind of diet involves introducing a meat that is different in a grain free diet.
there are both canned and dry foods available for you to try.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Feb 19 4:29 pm

Cat Health > just a general question

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Fri Jan 29, '10 9:51pm PST 
thanks Sassy, my mom just needed cofirmation that broth and gravy meant for human consumption is not good for cats - I appreciate your help!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 30 5:26 am

Cat Health > just a general question
Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Fri Jan 29, '10 8:40pm PST 
yes, I am concerned about the the garlic an dthe onion too, especially since the cat in question has a rcent history of liver problems.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 5:26 am

Cat Health > Quick question about Frontline/Revolution

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 9:24pm PST 
Today my mom took me to an allergist. She said I have a severe flea allergy. She combed through my (now sparse coat) and found no evidence of fleas, however, she said a single flea bite can cause a severe reaction for several weeks.
She recommended a new (not yet approved for felines) drug that is given orally once a month. The active ingredient is spinosad.
This vet is a renowned expert in her field, and stated that the drug is safe for cats and that she has seen good results using it.
She recommended a two month trial of this drug. The other cat in the household is to be treated with Frontline every 21 days.
Has anyone else heard of or used this drug?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by kaya skye, Aug 10 11:47 am

Cat Health > anyone had any experience with this drug?

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 5:54pm PST 
We took my mom's cat to a veterinary allergist today. She is recommnending we give Timmy Spinosad (an oral flea agent) to help treat her severe flea allergy.
This med has been only approved for canine use at this point. Anyone else seeing this drug given to felines?
Thanks for your response.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mr.Cat, Aug 17 9:13 am

Cat Health > Cat has string coming out of his butt

Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Wed Jul 15, '09 9:24pm PST 
I know a lot of people will criticize me, but I will tell you what happened to my brother's cat.
He and his GF went away for the day and one of their cats was accidently closed in the bathroom while they were gone.
The cat, probably out of boredom, decided to eat some dental floss from the waste basket and developed a bowel obstruction from that.
This happened over a holiday weekend and my brother, who is a nurse, gently irrigated the cat's bowel via enema...repeatedly and eventually the cat did pass the floss. my brother did this as a life saving measure.and followed up with his vet.
The cat suffered no ill effects from this.
I'm sure there are some who will have issues with this, and I'm sorry for that.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tup Tim, Jul 15 9:24 pm

Cat Health > Corid; what to put med in so kitten would swallow it?
Tup Tim

pillow sleeper

Purred: Thu Jun 25, '09 7:01pm PST 
Our vet has a sspecial pharmacy compound our meds. they can use different flavors to try to disguise the nasty medication taste. I take a med that is very bitter, so they developed a way for me to take it by applying it to my ears.shock...maybe your vet can work something out with a local pharmacy?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BALLU, Jul 13 4:42 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.