Postings by Spike

GO!

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > Self Regulating cats?
Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 7:29pm PST 
I remember a friend counting how many pieces of kibble my late, great Kitty would eat. Turns out it was exactly eleven, twice a day. Talk about self regulation! She was a sleek but not skinnyv kitty who may have had some Siamese heritage.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Spike, Feb 18 7:29 pm

Cat Health > Self Regulating cats?
Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 4:42pm PST 
Actually, all of my cats, from my childhood cat onwards, have been self regulators, with the exception of Spike. I tried keeping him isolated and regulating his food intake for several months, and he didn't lose any weight, so maybe he is just a hefty boy naturally. Cats, like humans, have differing body types
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Spike, Feb 18 7:29 pm

Kitten Corner > What breed/pattern is ms. fiona???

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 1:20pm PST 
My Spike is the most generic cat imagineable. He is a brown mackerel tabby, with a buff colored tummy. Tabbies may also have white muzzles. Without more pictures, it is hard to judge color. Post more pics, and we'll guess again.

Color and breed are, more often than not, unrelated. Siamese and the breeds developed from them are usually colorpoint cats, and Abyssinians are ticked tabbies, but usually color and breed are considered to be separate issues.

Personality and breed are even less related. Yes, Persians tend to be laid back, and Siamese tend to be chatty, but at cat shows, judges look at physical conformation to a breed standard rather than personality. I have a bunch of purebred Maine Coons, and each one has a unique personality that is not necessarily in conformance with the so called typical MC personality. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet or see on tv.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Spike, Feb 12 1:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Tried hoppers today

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 3:58pm PST 
I would also advise against serving the hoppers with chutney, pickles, or sambol. Yes, dhal is a good source of protein for humans, but cats need animal protein. Please do not force your kitty to be a vegetarian!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Patch, Jan 27 11:05 am

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 3:36pm PST 
Sorry, I live in Asia, where hoppers are crepe-like pancakes.

I would recommend that you avoid giving your kitty any of the usual accompaniments to hoppers, such as curries.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Patch, Jan 27 11:05 am

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 3:17pm PST 
If you MUST feed your cats hoppers, I would advise you to make them yourself, rather than using store bought kinds. Do be aware that coconut milk is not necessarily considered safe for cats. Watch for signs of diarrhea.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Patch, Jan 27 11:05 am

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 3:07pm PST 
Hoppers are THE quintessential Sri Lankan dish. Since they are made from flour, I would think they are not an ideal kitty food. Cats need protein rather than carbs.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Patch, Jan 27 11:05 am

Choosing the Right Cat > NEED to know my cats breed!!!

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Wed Jan 18, '12 3:35am PST 
A few years ago, I was suffering from a severe allergic reaction to something (turned out that it was a medicine I was taking), and got a battery of allergy tests. I tested negative for cat allergies. However, I have more than a dozen cats, and am not too tidy a housekeeper, and my entire living space is covered with cat hair. When it gets into my eyes, I get an allergic reaction. I would not be allergic to one or two cats, but fifteen...

Cat allergies are caused by chemicals in the saliva and dander, but obviously, cat hairs are also tainted with these chemicals. I find that the hairs that get into my eyes (and mouth, and nose, and cover my clothing and my hands) are most likely to be the fluffy undercoat, rather than the guard hairs. All my cats but Spike are Maine Coons, with long or semilong fur. Spike is a typical domestic shorthair moggy (probably 100% Japanese, but he looks exactly like an American moggy), and he seems to shed more underfur than the other cats do. During shedding season, it comes out in big lumps when I pet him. He also has dandruff (perhaps because he is portly, making grooming a bit difficult for him). From my observations, it seems that shorthaired cats shed just as much or even more than longhaired ones.

It may be possible to minimize shedding by getting a cat with a single coat. Some breeds (some of the Rexes, Sphynx, Turkish Angoras, etc.) have single coats, and some moggies do too. But if you are going to buy a purebred cat, it is going to involve a lot of money, and you are not guaranteed that the cat is not going to cause you allergy problems. Don't be fooled by shelters that label cats as purebreds--sometimes they are, but usually they are not. If you want to get a purebred from a rescue, try the various purebred rescue services. They are usually more knowledgeable about breeds than regular shelters are, and have a vested interest in saving their particular breed. Shelters want to save kitty lives, period, and will sometimes put a breed label on a cat in order to facilitate its adoption. Be especially wary of cats labeled Turkish Angora. The modern day TA breed is very rare and not likely to show up in shelters to the degree that shelters would have you believe.

So, yes, shedding can cause allergic reactions because of the saliva left on the cat hairs. A cat with a single coat may or may not cause fewer allergic reactions.

It is said that males produce more allergens than females, and some people say that dark cats produce more allergens than light colored ones. This is debated. However, if you consider that cats shed more when the days grow longer and they are exposed to more sunlight, and that dark colors absorb more sunlight than light colors do, it seems that there could be some truth in this. Are brown (i.e. grey) tabbies considered dark colored? Compared to white cats, yes, but compared to a black and white cat???

I am not sure if anyone has recommended allergy shots. I don't know how well they work with cat allergies, but a friend of mine with hay fever swears by the shots she gets every year from her doctor.

I wish you luck.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by P.C., Jan 20 9:27 pm

Other Meows & Purrs > Fake Cats? Huh?

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Sat Oct 29, '11 12:02pm PST 
Ho hum. Here in Tokyo, still using the air conditioner.
[notify]

» There has since been 266.8 posts. Last posting by ♥ Nina ♥ rehomed, Mon 3:41 pm

Cat of the Day & Week > how to be the cat of the day
Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Mon Oct 24, '11 4:01am PST 
I can't answer your question for certain. The consensus seems to be that it's random, but I suspect that cats who joined Catster once sbut haven't come back since, who never post or otherwise participate in the Forums, don't get chosen. I've also noticed a pattern--that sometimes, after a cat makes Catster news for some reason or another, they become Cat of the Day. Just stay active on Catster, follow the rules, make friends, and you will have your chance like everybody else. Don't forget that Catster has hundreds of thousands of members, so your chances of becoming COTD are thus statistically lessened by that figure.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Natasha, Oct 25 1:36 pm

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.