Postings by Lola

GO!

(Page 1 of 73: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Bombay > Am I A Bombay Cat?
Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '12 8:46am PST 
Not all breeds are as common as others. Bombays are extremely rare. Chances are good that no one who has posted here is a Bombay. Personality characteristics are not all. A Siamese has a distinctive look, but a Bombay and a regular black cat are not that dissimilar to the novice's eye. Take your cat to a cat show as a Household Pet and have a judge make the final pronouncement.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 5:04 pm

Birman > Is she or Isn't she, Birman
Lola

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '12 8:43am PST 
Siamese.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lola, Aug 8 8:43 am

Kitten Corner > Vet told me it was rare for kittens to go into heat before 6 months?

Lola

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 10:35pm PST 
What a pretty kitty!

Cats can certainly go into heat before six months. It is true, however, that longhaired cats are said to mature sexually later than shorthaired ones, and to have less extreme heats. Early spays are common now, and usually go by weight. Your kitty should be big enough to be spayed before six months. Spaying prior to the first heat is said to be better for a cat's health, and a cat in heat is not only unpleasant to be around but prone to escape in search of a male. You want to avoid that. Perhaps you should have another talk with your vet, or find another vet or spay clinic that will spay her before she reaches six months?
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by ♥ Roxy ♥, Aug 9 7:50 pm

Laws & Legislation > APHIS-2011-0003-0001- New Bill that limits home breeding.

Lola

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:06pm PST 
I only know the world of small scale hobby breeders who show with the CFA. I have never met a breeder who was breeding on a scale that could be classified as "kitten mill," and have never met a breeder with subpar breeding conditions. Breeders are subject to licensing and inspection in Japan.

My biggest question is regarding kitten mills. Do they really exist? I know that puppy mills do, and I also know that it's not uncommon to mix up dogs and cats--dogs usually have a breed, dogs are often bought from breeders, but the vast majority of cats have no breed and are not bought from breeders.

Backyard breeders? Yes, of course they exist. I have one near me in Tokyo. Is her place a kitten mill? Not in terms of numbers.

I have spent a long time looking for information on kitten mills on the Internet and have found virtually none. Puppy mills, yes. If there are kitten mills or sleazy breeders who breed on a large scale, they would most likely be breeding the popular breeds of today--Bengals and Ragdolls, for example.

The presence of cats labelled as "breed" cats in shelters means nothing. A longhaired white cat can be labelled a Turkish Angora, a tailless cat a Manx. Both are extremely rare breeds that are not even well represented at CFA cat shows. Cats of either breed are unlikely to end up in a shelter barring something cataclysmic happening to owner or breeder. Siamese and Persians and their mixed descendents have been around since the days before mandatory spay and neuter; a Siamese in a shelter was not necessarily born in a cattery. Maine Coons are a naturally occurring breed with a pedigreed subset, and the naturally occurring kind can be found in shelters because they are basically moggies. Breed cats are not the problem in shelters. Regular old moggies whose parents weren't altered are.

In any event, I would appreciate any information you might have on kitten mills. Until I see some documentation, I am inclined to think of this problem as a kind of urban myth.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lola, Aug 6 3:06 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Can you help me name my cat's breed :)

Lola

Purred: Wed Dec 14, '11 3:15am PST 
For information regarding tabby patterns, the best I know of now is messybeast.com. Google it.The webmaster will also field questions. The issue of breed cats is a complicted one. Essentially, cats do not have breeds the way dogs do. Purebred cats account for an estimated less than 5% of cats in the US. Some breeds are regional, naturally occurring cat varieties that have been taken over by breeders, often with the intent to preserve the breed, sometimes with the concurrent urge to follow new breed standards. This has resulted in Maine Coons who look less like the original Maine Cat, and more like wild cats. Taking it to an extreme, you get Siamese who look very little like their Thai cat ancestors.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♔Jeepurrs Creepurrs♔, Dec 15 7:53 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Can you help me name my cat's breed :)
Lola

Purred: Wed Dec 14, '11 1:35am PST 
Libby looks like a broken mackerel tabby domestic shorthair to me. The dots may be more pronounced than they would be with a broken mackerel tabby. This is a color designation, not a breed. I am with the CFA, who do not recognize hybrids, but who will allow them to be shown as a household pet. Go figure. A Bengal will have a very well muscled body with long legs. The question is, what are the chances of a Bengal mating with the moggy population? I do not have an answer for that. Puredred breed rescue people would have a better idea. Bengals are now extremely popular. At the same time, they are extremely expensive. Being popular ups the chances of being trafficked by sleazy breeders. Which also ups the chances of Bengals breeding with the moggy population. On the other hand, good breeders either have a spay neuter agreement in their contract, or sell desexed cats. Spotted tabbies occur in the randomly bred population. Body shape determines breed. Go to a cat show as a household pet and have a judge judge you.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ♔Jeepurrs Creepurrs♔, Dec 15 7:53 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Hey, am I a Chartreux?

Lola

Purred: Tue Dec 13, '11 12:05am PST 
LOL. Unless you have a chronic fever, hot ears are a sign of excitement. You will see a slight pinkish color caused by increased blood flow to the ears. It usually means that a cat is interested in something, curious, or playful. If accompanied by lethargy, you have a problem. Consult with your vet.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by smokey, Jan 7 10:37 am

Lola

Purred: Sat Dec 10, '11 1:22pm PST 
Right. To be shown as a household pet you must be neutered. Neutering is a simple surgery. The CFA does not, to my knowledge, allow declawed cats, and I assume most registries are the same.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by smokey, Jan 7 10:37 am

Lola

Purred: Sat Dec 10, '11 11:34am PST 
Cat shows are generally permissive of aberranent behavior on the part of the human. Body conformation to breed standards is paramount for the cat. Behavior is only taken into minor consideration--Abyssinians are allowed to be antsy, Maine Coons are preferred if laid-back. I show in Japan, but we have a lot of American judges and photographers. If you are not a shelter cat, that ups your chances of not having a false breed placed on you. If you are a chunky cat with toothpick legs, that ups your chances of being a Chartreux. BUT the breed is extremely rare. Leave it up to a judge to decide. As I understand it, Chartreux originated as a naturally occurring breed in France. America is rife with Maine Coons that not so called purebreds, but randomly bred moggies. Are those Maine Coons fake? No, they are the real thing. The Maine Coon breed was only created to preserve this line. With purebred cats,you have, first, naturally occurring breeds that were turned into purebred breeds,like the Maine Coon, the Chartreux, the Russian Blue, the British Shorthair, the Turkish Angora. Some of these breeds were recreated, as it were, with outcrosses, usually Siamese or Persian. Then you have the created breeds. Persian plus Siamese equals Himalyan. Some randomly bred colorpoint cat becomes the progenitor of the Ragdoll line. Then you get the hybrids, bred from wild cat strains. The CFA is not fond of hybrids. Getting back to breeds developed from naturally occurring cats, as with Maine Coons, there is always the possibility that a cat who looks like that breed is a naturally occurring cat. I have seen some naturally occurring Maine Coons who look more like Maine Coons than pedigreed ones do.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by smokey, Jan 7 10:37 am

Lola

Purred: Fri Dec 9, '11 4:12pm PST 
Just checked. Only about a dozen Korats are being shown with the CFA this season. Yes, there are other registries, but the fact that so few Korats are being shown with the CFA means that it is an uncommon breed. I have never seen one at a cat show myself. Or maybe one. I remember seeing only one Chartreux. Blue cats do exist in the moggy population. They could have ancestors from Asia, Russia, France, Britain...or not. They could share ancestors with Korats, Rusian Blues, Chartreux, British Shorthairs...or not. What is less likely is a moggy with purebred heritage, or a purebred being cast off by an owner or sleazy breeder. Owner relinquishment does occur, of course. As for a sleazy breeder just abandoning cats? I hear stories like that, but wonder if most are not an urban myth. Again, there is a dearth of information on this topic.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by smokey, Jan 7 10:37 am

(Page 1 of 73: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.