GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Senior Cats > My Louie is gone and needs some wings
Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:18am PST 
My Louie suddenly stopped eating Sunday night. I thought he had just eaten something that disagreed with him But after 2 days of hiding, and yesterday afternoon he started to meow in distress, I took Louie to the vet yesterday, and by the time we got there he couldn't move and was turning yellow. His liver was shutting down, and there's nothing they could do. They wanted to run some tests to confirm, so I went home to gather his things together. I went back with my boyfriend to say goodbye, and they sent him to rainbow bridge. It was so fast, and I know I did the right thing, as he had lost all his vitality in those couple days, and when we went to say goodbye he didn't even seem like himself. He will be buried in my boyfriend's rose garden, next to his brother Henry that dies a few years ago.

Goodbye my sweet Louie boy, it was a pleasure to have been your momma.

When Henry died someone put wings on his profile picture. Can anyone help me do the same for Louie?
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , May 28 3:45 pm

Cat Health > I think Louie burned himself!
Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:37pm PST 
A couple of days ago I noticed the hair under Louie's armpit was all short and crispy. I washed it up and didn't think anything of it, until I looked today and noticed about a 1" circle of hair had all fallen out, and there's a little oval shaped sore in the middle of the hairless spot, looking very red. The only thing I can think of is he jumped up on my bathroom counter and laid down on my curling iron. He let me look at it and clean it (it doesn't look like ringworm, we've dealt with that before), and he can't reach it to groom, so I'm hoping it'll heal on it's own. I can't afford a vet visit (he got a clean "old man" bill of health earlier this fall) so I'm hoping it'll heal on it's own with a little watchful eye. How can I ensure it heals quickly? Is there anything I can put on it or do I just leave it alone?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 9 12:51 pm

Cat Health > Causes of itchiness?

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 11:04pm PST 
I talked to Louie's vet over the phone, and they said because he's an old kitty, there's nothing they can really do without a blood panel first, to make sure his kidneys can process any meds they give him. The confirmed it's probably just seasonal allergies, as they see a lot of that right now. But mosquitoes are everywhere too, and I find a couple bites on me every day. He's been treated for fleas and shows no sign of ear mites, so that's been ruled out. I'm going out of town for a week starting on Wednesday and he has an appointment when I return. They said he should be fine until then, as his allergies are more of an annoyance than life threatening. I'm going to be sure to brush him as much as possible, to see if that helps distribute oils and help with the itch.

I've heard about putting a little olive oil on a cat's food can help because it provides the fatty acids skin needs. Anyone tried this? I'm just looking for some temporarily relief for my poor itchy old man until I can afford a big vet visit in a couple weeks.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 2:37 pm

Cat Health > Causes of itchiness?

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:27am PST 
My Louie has always had very sensitive skin, but this summer he seems especially itchy. He's been treated for fleas, and eats a grain free diet that hasn't been changed, but he scratches all the time, especially in the mornings. Mosquitoes are really bad in the area right now, can that be it? I have scheduled his usual end of summer vet visit for next week, but the last time I brought this up the vet just sold me some ridiculously expensive food, which didn't help at all, and actually gave him gas. So I wanted to see if anyone on Catster had any advice. Would brushing him several times a day help? Supplements?

Thanks everybody!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 2:37 pm

Senior Cats > I'm soooo hungry!

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 6:10am PST 
Once upon a time my old kitty Louie (he's almost 16) would wait until I was all ready at 7am to get breakfast. Lately, he's waking me up earlier and earlier, this morning it was a little after 5. Even on the weekend if I'm not up by 6:30 to feed him he screams like the world is going to end. He always has a little high quality crunchies down, but begs for wet food first thing. I feed him select varieties of Fancy Feast, the ones recommended on Catster without all the fillers. He hasn't really lost any weight, and as soon as I feed him, he settles down. He's not starving all the time, he just seems to want breakfast ASAP.

He has a routine check-up this weekend, including blood work is there anything I should bring up? Check him for hyperthyroidism? Should I be feeding him more as he gets older? At his last check up 6 months ago he got a totally clean bill of health, they even said you'd never guess he's 15 years old. are older cats like old people and have breakfast at 5am, lunch at 10:45, and dinner at 4:30? laugh out loud Maybe it's just an attention thing?

My other cat is not a morning cat, and motivates about the time when I leave, so this is isolated to Louie.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 4 11:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Peppermint!! Ok or harmful?
Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 1:37pm PST 
I've never heard of mint being harmful. I've even seen kitty treats that are infused with mint. In fact, catnip is part of the mint family, lamiaceae. All these plants contain nepetalactone, the compound that makes kitties go crazy for catnip. Your kitty loves something in that food cream, maybe because the mint oils are concentrated. Don't let kitty eat it, but reacting to the smell doesn't seem atypical.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 9 1:41 pm

Food & Nutrition > A new dry food recommendation

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Wed Sep 28, '11 1:31pm PST 
My 2 cats have been eating Blue Buffalo dry food for about a year, but recently, they barely eat it, and they try to bury it, like they don't want it. They do this every so often, and I've given them other dry food, but now that they're older, I don't want to revert back to the less than quality stuff. I only give them 1/2 a cup to munch on during the day, but they aren't even eating that. The vet worries that Louie is getting a little skinny in his old age, so she wanted me to leave a little food out. I did have a few samples of something, and they devoured it, so I think they're just bored with their food.

They get wet food twice a day, and I tried taking away the dry, but my Louie screams and screams, like he's upset the bowl isn't there, even if he's barely eating his crunchies.

Can anyone recommend a decent quality alternative, at about the same price? The only limiting factor is it can't have salmon in it. There are so many options, I don't even know where to begin.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 12:02 pm

Behavior & Training > displaced aggression is getting out of hand! HELP!

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 2:30pm PST 
My apartment manager called me late yesterday to confirm that the cat they saw was the one I'm concerned about, because apparently it attacked a little dog that was just sitting on his porch. Mean kitty! They said animal control has been called, because they worry this cat may be sick and a danger to others. I personally think he's just a bully trying to be in charge of the area.

There are plenty of ferals at my complex that just stay out of the way of most people. They sometimes come on my porch to watch the birds, but that's it, so I have no problems with them. My cats don't react to them, it's only when this one cat is the aggressor do they fight back and then fight each other. My Howie was found on the streets as a baby, so I know there are good natured ferals out there. This one particular cat is extremely aggressive, attacking cats in windows and dogs walking around, marking doors and porches, and I've even seen him hiss and swipe at people that approach. Just like people, I do think there is such a thing as bad cats.

My Louie is recovering, but he seems to scared to sit in that window, so I put a chair by my office window so he can jump into it.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 26 9:07 am

Food & Nutrition > What food is best during oral surgery recovery?

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Sat Jul 23, '11 11:21pm PST 
My Louie had surgery today to remove the root of a tooth (lower canine) he broke this morning in an accident, and the vet said wet food only for 3-4 days. He normally likes chunky food in gravy, but I gave him some pate I had, but he just kinda smooshes it around. Is the slices/chunks in gravy OK too or sticking to the softest pate stuff best? Can I add water to it or is maybe even baby food an alternative?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 23 9:12 pm

Behavior & Training > displaced aggression is getting out of hand! HELP!
Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Sat Jul 23, '11 11:14pm PST 
Louie has been home for a few hours now, still a little stoned, his mouth seems sore (tries to eat and drink but doesn't get much down), and doesn't have much energy. The vet says this is normal for the first 24 hours after a major surgery like this. He is on pain meds for a few days too, which may be contributing. But going into debt is worth it for my sweet old kitty, even if he does looks a little strange missing a lower fang.

Howie gave him some kisses and cuddles, like he knew Louie was hurt, and seems to have finally calmed down. Blinds and curtains were drawn all day, and he stayed out of the window because it was warm, so maybe that helped.

I live in an apartment, so covering the windows can't happen. I had to ask for special permission to hang curtains even. I did complain to the manager that this stray is getting extra aggressive, and they said they'd be on the lookout for it, calling the humane society if they notice it around certain locations. When I went out this afternoon to water my plants on my porch, there was fresh urine on it, and my window screen certainly has seen better days. A lot of people abandon their cats when they move, but I think this cat has always been a stray, based on his demeanor. I make it a point to not leave cat food out, but some of my neighbors do feed the strays, and I do have a bird feeder that may be attracting this stray to the birds. I may take it down for a few weeks to see if that helps. Too bad though, it's the only outdoor entertainment my boys get.

I will keep a water bottle in my bedroom from now on, so if this happens again, I can quickly break it up before anyone gets hurt.

Thanks everyone!
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Nov 26 9:07 am

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.