Marie

Purred: Tue Dec 17, '13 11:07pm PST 
Note-the DSS capsules are a doggy stool softener. kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:07 pm

Cat Health > Megacolon
Marie

Purred: Tue Dec 17, '13 11:06pm PST 
I hope the Miralax works as well for you as it did for me. I had been having a lot of frequent very bad flare-ups in the fall of 2009 and the vet said it would be best to have me put to sleep if I did not improve. I was put on cisapride at that time and had I stayed on it I think it would have killed me. A facebook friend of meowmy's suggested the Miralax and thankfully it worked and I no longer take the vet meds except for the DSS capsules when I have a flare up which is not often. Best of luck to you! hug
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:07 pm

Cat Health > Megacolon

Marie

Purred: Fri Dec 13, '13 11:54pm PST 
DeeJay, I have megacolon. I have had it all my life due to a injury shortly after my birth that caused my pelvic bone to heal wrong. The most common drugs for it are lactulose, laxitone and cisapride. I have tried them all, cisapride is a last resort option. It was originally a human drug but pulled from the market because of a unacceptable amount of deaths associated with it, it was later approve for pet use only. It is very hard on a cat's system. First you need to find a diet that will help you, unfortunately it is trial and error, some cats need more fiber and some like me have to eat a all meat diet with no fiber. Lactulose is probably what your vet will give you, it helped me for a while. I take Miralax now, it is a over the counter medicine for humans. I take one fourth teaspoon daily mixed with my food, meowmy splits into half for my morning food and half for my night time food. You will most likely be better off eating small meals more often and no grazing(leaving food out all day)! You should get your vet to show your meowmy how to feel your colon for hard lumps so you can catch the flare-ups before it gets too bad. Fancy Feast has some grain free flavors if you are on a budget, most of the pate style. Like I said it is going to be trial and error to figure out what will work best for you. Megacolon is not curable without surgery and the surgery should also be a last resort because it is not without risk and side effects. I was given extra fiber when it was first discovered I had megacolon and was back at the hospital in just days, now I can't have any grain or vegetables. I have had megacolon for seven years and you can message me anytime with questions or just for support.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:07 pm

Cat Health > How Much Does Laser Declawing Cost?

Marie

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 6:48pm PST 
Yeah the declawing issue always brings us Catsters to the cat's defense. It is cruel and very painful, a vet tech once told us that often the cats cry out during the procedure even though they are knocked out, it is awful to say the least. My pawrents actually nailed a two by four to the door facing for us to scratch, it is no longer a two by four, it is about half gone. We were taught not to scratch the furniture, it can be done. They also make some nail tips that can be applied, but I don't know much about them. BTW welcome to Catster.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 7 8:01 pm

Cat Health > Megacolon?

Marie

Purred: Thu Nov 21, '13 11:22pm PST 
Thank you for the update, have been watching for it. Hope there are no complications, I know our vet said the colon does not heal very fast.
I have to watch what I eat, no dry food at all and I can't pig out as much as I would like too either. I have small frequent meals, two of them a day with my Miralax mixed in.
I hope you have a good recovery, please let us know. hug
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 26 1:29 pm

Cat Health > Megacolon?
Marie

Purred: Wed Nov 20, '13 1:21pm PST 
I have megacolon too. I have had to be knocked out several times when I was younger to be cleaned out. I am taking Miralax now, 1/2 teaspoon split into two doses and mixed with my food. The lactulose, laxitone, cisapride, etc.....quit working for me a long time ago. I do take DSS capsules every omce in a while to soften things up. Colon surgery is a very serious thing, lots of risk even when the colon is left intact, leakage into the cat's body being the main one because it can be fatal. I eat a cereal free diet, no grains whatsoever. Some vets suggest adding fiber, some say none at all, it is an individual thing, every cat is affected different. I have had megacolon for seven years and I am fairly stable now, the first few years were awful for me. I send many purrs and prayers for you.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 26 1:29 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.