GO!

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > Asthmatic Cat- Alternive to inhaler while we go on vacation?
Charlie

Why did they- take almost all- my tooths??

Purred: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:53pm PST 
The steroid injection is a good option. Or the pet sitter could just put a steroid pill a day in a pill pocket and leave it by his food.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 9:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Nature\'s Variety raw
Charlie

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 5:19pm PST 
I've never heard of that, but it IS common for cats to regurgitate whole food that they swallowed too fast. And I always chop up the medallions nice for the kitties to make it easier for them to eat.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 9:24 am

Food & Nutrition > Nature's Variety

Charlie

Purred: Thu Sep 16, '10 10:38pm PST 
Agreed. I feed Nature's Variety Raw but if I had to feed dry, I would feed their grain free dry. I was feeding it to my dog a few months ago, but now he's on raw too. Their dry food is very high in protein. Great stuff...for dry food smile You should really give some canned, too.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 16 11:25 pm

Cat Health > Feline Asthma

Charlie

Purred: Sat May 29, '10 9:30pm PST 
Charlie started coughing rarely when he was about 1 year old. I took him to the vet, and told him he was coughing. The vet acted confused and gave me an antibiotic. That did not help. Since the vet did not seem concerned (and never mentioned asthma or x-rays), I wasn't concerned. I was like, sometimes he coughs. Big deal. I took him to the vet and the vet acted like it was nothing.

13 years went by of him coughing once in a while. It was rare enough that I don't recall how often it was. Rare enough not to concern me. But last summer during a heat wave he suddenly started coughing at least 4 times a day. Now finally after all those years, I took concern! I can't believe I let my poor boy suffer for so long! The vet xrayed him and said it was either asthma or dead heartworms, but either way the treatment was steroids. So I opted for the inhaled version even though the vet discouraged me.

I'm so happy that Charlie is ok.

Asthma can get worse with allergies, hot air, seasons, etc. If I were you I would at least treat it seasonally and at least get the Aerokat and a puffer of Ventolin. Ventolin is for emergencies (coughing attacks). It opens up the airway.

Kitties can suffocate from asthma attacks, so I'm very very grateful that I still have my boy Charlie.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 6:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > Changing to a Raw Food Diet

Charlie

Purred: Sat May 29, '10 6:23pm PST 
It might be a case of beef, or of switching over too soon.

Charlie will throw up beef. That is very common, many kitties cannot handle beef.

However he can tolerate lamb, but if I switch him from rabbit to lamb too quickly he will throw that up too.

You can mix the raw into the canned food. Just don't fee the dry anymore.

We eat Nature's Variety.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 30 6:25 am

Cat Health > Feline Asthma
Charlie

Purred: Sat May 29, '10 6:12pm PST 
I have asthma! Look at my profile to see a video of me getting my puffer! That video was taken on only the 4th day of me getting a puff. Mom buys Flixotide from 4CornersPharmacy online for like $50.

I have not coughed ONCE since mom put me on Flovent/Flixotide. That was 9 months ago!! It is very safe and she did not want to put me on any steroids because of the risk of diabetes. She only put me on steroid pills for a couple weeks until the Flovent had time to kick in.

The Feline Asthma Inhaled Meds group at Yahoo is VERY helpful for this. Please do the inhaler. It's the safest treatment.

Merlin - my vet did NOT prescribe the right flovent dose for me, but that's ok because 4CornersPharmacy does not require a prescription.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 6:59 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is it wrong to only feed dry food?

Charlie

Purred: Sat May 1, '10 12:05am PST 
IMO, kitties should never be fed only dry food their entire lives. If you are short on cash, I can see feeding it and offering canned once a week or something.

However, if a cat becomes ill in any way, and you continue to only feed dry, that's causing harm to the cat.

If you are sick, you need to get more fluids, right? So does a cat.

And I agree with the first poster, you should be offering variety in case the cat DOES become picky. Letting the cat experience different types of food will provide insurance that she will keep eating if your favorite brand experiences a recall, or one day isn't made anymore, or the cat becomes picky due to illness, or becomes allergic to the food (which can happen after feeding just one food for years), or needs meds and is impossible to pill and you need soft food to hide the meds in, etc etc.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 4 6:51 am

Cat Health > is teeth cleaning REALLY necessary?

Charlie

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 7:50am PST 
You can't just let it go without doing anything. Charlie has has almost all his teeth pulled in two surgeries. If the bacteria in the mouth (clinging to the tartar and gingivitis) gets too bad it can travel through the blood stream and into other organs and cause way bigger problems.

Once Charlie got to be about 10 he started pawing at his mouth because his teeth hurt, poor guy. I feed my kitten Aura raw food, so hopefully she won't have the same problems with teeth as Charlie did on dry and canned.

You can ask the vet what kind of anesthesia they use. The newer kind is more gentle on kitties and they wake up from it faster. It's not as harsh as the older kind.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 20 8:27 am

Cat Health > is teeth cleaning REALLY necessary?

Charlie

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 7:47am PST 
You can't just let it go without doing anything. Charlie has has almost all his teeth pulled in two surgeries. If the bacteria in the mouth (clinging to the tartar and gingivitis) gets too bad it can travel through the blood stream and into other organs and cause way bigger problems.

Once Charlie got to be about 10 he started pawing at his mouth because his teeth hurt, poor guy. I feed my kitten Aura raw food, so hopefully she won't have the same problems with teeth as Charlie did on dry and canned.

You can ask the vet what kind of anesthesia they use. The newer kind is more gentle on kitties and they wake up from it faster. It's not as harsh as the older kind.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Mar 20 8:27 am

Cat Health > Kittens first, then spay?
Charlie

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 4:25pm PST 
Good lord, people still think that???

Not true. Quite the opposite in fact.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 12:36 am

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.