Postings by Neko

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > About to get rid of them.
Neko

WILL SOMEONE- PLEASE FEED ME?!

Purred: Sun Feb 7, '10 11:50pm PST 
I agree that Mom needs to be spayed and given a bit of a break from the kittens. She is likely very stressed and tired which is spreading over. How old are the kittens now? I'd start looking for homes for them. Perhaps Mom doesn't like sharing her space. Some cats are solitary creatures. Neko certainly is. We tried fostering another cat when Neko was 3 years, she WIGGED out. Yeah. Total Spaz. Went to the bathroom everywhere, became totally evil basically. We stuck with out commitment to the Siamese foster and she found her Furever home where she still lives and is absolutely adored (some friends of ours actually adopted her). Neko returned to normal pretty much as soon as she figured out Simone (we aren't very origninal) was out of her house.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Miss Tiny Burr Burr, Feb 11 7:50 am

Cat Health > Best Clumping Cat Litter?
Neko

Purred: Sun Feb 7, '10 11:40pm PST 
Dr. Elsey's is nice. No funky odors, at least, but the tracking problem is bad with all of the fine clumping litters, IMHO. I use an outdoor rug as a litter pad to catch, plus it brushes off Neko's feet, so it works well. I just pick up the rug and shake it into the trash can I have handy for kitty litter.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by P.C., Feb 11 9:32 pm

Kitten Corner > Question About Litter and Litter Boxes

Neko

Purred: Tue Dec 16, '08 11:00pm PST 
Dr. Elsey's is availble at Petsmart and is relatively cheap..
As for food, I would stay away from Hills SD... it is primarily corn, which is filler.. in the long run, you'll feed more than you would of a "higher" priced kibble... For something easily availble, try Blue Buffalo, I would recommend the Wilderness line, but any of their kibbles are about the best available at Petsmart. Most people will also agree that a canned diet (wet diet) is best for a cat, short of feeding a raw diet. Canned provides more moisture which is important. Cats should always have fresh water available, but cats get a lot of their water intake from the meat they eat in the wild. Personally, I feed Evo supplemented with a grainfree canned food. For one cat, your feed bill shouldn't be too high, no matter what you feed. A small bag of Evo is about 16 bucks, but the canned is about $1 each. I feed 1/2 of a can and 1/4 cup Evo a day, but Neko is a very small kitty. (the vet actually says she's a little overweight at 8lbs!) My food bill for the month is about $30. Since we switched to a grainfree diet, Neko hasn't had anymore problems with allergies, and seems generally healthier.. (Including her litterbox doesn't smell NEAR as much as it did when she was on the Nutro Natural Choice..) We switched almost 3 years ago and it carries it's own testimony.

Just FYI, if cheaper is better, personally I would just spend my money on a grainfree kibble like EVO or Taste of the Wild (referred to by many as TOTW), Wellness is another good one. If your cat does get dehydrated or doesn't seem to drink water freely, you can address that then. If you cut out the canned, you could fee Evo for about $20 bucks a month (or less) for any sized cat... For Neko, a bag of Evo lasts about 2 months, and that's for the small bag... Just make sure you invest in a airtight storage container so the kibble doesn't go stale.
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Tiger, Feb 14 3:35 pm

Food & Nutrition > "Rotating" food

Neko

Purred: Tue Dec 16, '08 10:46pm PST 
Neko eats a different flavor of grainfree everyday. She also gets Evo kibble, which is a staple for us, but we also feed canned... She's lately been enjoying the Before Grain line and she seems to REALLY like those... they are 100% meat, and I'll admit they smell pretty tasty! With Neko, we just avoid beef products, she doesn't seem to like them at all...
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Khina, Dec 20 8:33 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need a new food to switch too

Neko

Purred: Tue Dec 16, '08 10:43pm PST 
also, remember that when you switch foods, you need to do a "transition period" and that it isn't uncommon for a dog or cat to have diarreah for 1-2 weeks while starting a higher quality diet, but that they will adjust IF there isn't an underlying health problem, which I saw you're already dealing with...
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Dec 30 9:39 am

Food & Nutrition > Need a new food to switch too
Neko

Purred: Tue Dec 16, '08 10:42pm PST 
If you want something that's available at Petsmart/Petco, what about:
(Honestly, this is the only brand I could find on Petsmart.com that I would possibly feed my cat, who is currently eating Evo.)
Blue Buffalo Wilderness (if I was limited to petstore kibbles, this would be my choice)
or any of the other Blue Buffalo lines

What you're feeding now is likely similar to these foods:
Avoderm
Nutro Natural Choice

Honestly, you said you're familiar with nutritional requirements for dogs, just remember that while dogs are scavengers and while they prefer meat, will eat anything, cats are natural Carnivores... So, in a nutshell, you need to go back to reading labels for your cats as you would for your dogs. Imagine a cat in a corn field... it would be hunting the rodents and vermin, not eating the plants. While I personally feed a grainless diet, 1/2 can grainfree supplemented by 1/4 cup of Evo a day (Neko is very small), I am not saying you have to do a grain free diet, but that the primary sources in the food should be meat... A whole meat (Chicken, not Chicken Byproduct) followed by a Meat Meal (specified meat, like Turkey Meal) so that you can have faith in the meat content... but the whole meat is important as well as you'll get a lot of vitamins and minerals from the whole meats..
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Dec 30 9:39 am

Behavior & Training > switching litter on neurotic kittens

Neko

Purred: Mon Aug 11, '08 12:13am PST 
Hi guys! I was also a feral rescue, so I can understand some of what you are going through... I also went into my litter box, just to visit some times... I eventually quit, but it took probably 6 months or so... As far as changing your litter, we can be a little picky... you have to change over gradually or we will just find somewhere else to go... I would put about 1/4 of the new litter mixed in with the old and every couple of days, change it.. 1/4 the first time, 1/2 the second, 3/4 the third, until eventually your at just the new litter. This can take a couple of weeks- be observant. Also, some kitties have allergies or can be very sensitive to certain litter changes, so go slow, and if it doesn't work- you may just not be able to use that type of litter. I have to use Dr. Elsey's (may have spelled it wrong) b/c just about everything else my mom tried didn't work well for me...
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Boris, Aug 13 12:17 am

Food & Nutrition > Just for Fun: "Weird" Foods You Kitty Loves

Neko

Purred: Tue Aug 5, '08 8:34pm PST 
I love mashed potatoes, especially with gravy on them... sometimes I'll steal a little chicken... but usually I am just curious about what mom's eating.. it used to drive dad nuts, but now he is used to me supervising their meal times.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Neko, Aug 5 8:34 pm

Cat Health > washing out the litter box suggestions

Neko

Purred: Sat Apr 26, '08 11:12pm PST 
We always just wash it out with lots of water and then rinse and scrub any difficult spots with vinegar. Works well, and we don't have any problems with odor b/c the vinegar gets rid of the ammonia smell...
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Poe, Apr 29 7:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Could I be missing grains?
Neko

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 2:13am PST 
Thanks, Athena. I think you may be right about the boredom. Xena has been on a pretty strict diet for a while, and she will literally eat every single bit of food I put down. She is very petite, and the weight seems to pack on easily for her... I think I will stick with the grainless kibble (getting a different kind) but add some soft food. I have been wondering about her getting enough moisture, so that will solve both problems. Great suggestion, thanks again!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Winnie and Chester, Mar 11 4:17 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.