GO!

(Page 1 of 30: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > Kitten tested positive for feline leukemia
Sable - ~Love you- Always~

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Sun Aug 18, '13 7:07pm PST 
My situation was a little different. To copy/paste from another thread:

I've been in the unfortunate situation of owning two cats who tested positive after multiple negative tests, and after having them as solely indoor-only animals. FELV is pretty weird, as far as viruses go, and in my experience.

Sable tested negative at least three times, and Chloe twice. I only had Sable tested when she came down with a slight cold, and I'd had this odd feeling of "Maybe she should be retested" despite having more than one negative result. I honestly believe that it's present in a lot of the cat population and only crops up when something else in the cat's body lowers their immune system enough for it to "wake up".

It's not even that uncommon, as I've personally seen numerous senior/adult cats suddenly test positive when they had been negative and indoor only for years, with the reason for testing being that the cat had come down with a sudden illness.

Maus, Chloe's son, has so far tested negative for the virus. Brooke, who kept in close contact with both Sable and Chloe, never tested positive at all. Vaccinating the others is definitely a good idea, though the rest of them have already been exposed to it. There's a chance that they may be part of the cat population that is exposed to the virus but never contract it.

The virus itself does not make the cat sick, but it makes them prone to getting sick with other things , as it weakens the immune system.

These are some links that may help:

http://bestfriends.org/Resources/Pet-Care/Cats/Health-And-C are/FAQs-About-FeLV/
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/felv-fi v.html

Was Storm tested with the ELISA test only? Or did they test the IFA too?
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Beepers, Aug 22 10:43 am

Cat Health > Feline Leukaemia Virus and cat behaviour

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 2:27pm PST 
I've been in the unfortunate situation of owning two cats who tested positive after multiple negative tests, and after having them as solely indoor-only animals. There's no correlation between the virus and behavior that I know of, apart from the cat acting sick once the virus decides to rear its ugly head.

FELV is pretty weird, though. Sable tested negative at least three times, and Chloe twice. I only had Sable tested when she came down with a slight cold, and I'd had this odd feeling of "Maybe she should be retested" despite having more than one negative result. I honestly believe that it's present in a lot of the cat population and only crops up when something else in the cat's body lowers their immune system enough for it to "wake up".

It's not even that uncommon, as I've personally seen numerous senior/adult cats suddenly test positive when they had been negative and indoor only for years, with the reason for testing being that the cat had come down with a sudden illness.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Norman DB#93 2001-2013, Aug 6 8:31 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Future kitties and Current kitties!

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '11 8:54am PST 
Have always and will always own rescue cats (domestics, moggies, whatever you want to call them). Personality and physical appearance vary extremely widely. Any "purebred specific" personality or physical trait people want in a pedigree, you will find in a domestic!
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Jan 12 5:18 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > TODAY IS VERN'S TESTING DAY! POTP NEEDED!

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Mon May 2, '11 8:39am PST 
PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRing from the Bridgehughughuglittle angellittle angel
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by ♥ Daisy ♥, May 5 1:39 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Am I doing the right thing?

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Sun May 1, '11 7:33pm PST 
thankyou for adopting! little angel
[notify]

» There has since been -3 posts. Last posting by Sable - ~Love you Always~ , May 1 7:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Lazy Kitten? Iffy groomer, iffy eater... BIG sleeper what's muh deal?

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Mon Jan 3, '11 4:33pm PST 
Any change in behavior is worth a trip to the vet ASAP, especially when a kitten is lethargic and has a poor appetite. He may be sick.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 4 12:00 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Why can't cats be bred less strictly, more like dogs and other animals?

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Fri Dec 31, '10 9:37pm PST 
There are so many , many varieties within mix breed cats, that came out of the cat's domestication. Pedigree cats primarily exist for aesthetic reasons, unlike dogs which have long been bred for function (working dogs), form (show dogs), or both.

With pedigree cats and dogs, it takes years of breeding within specific bloodlines for certain desired traits to come out. With some breeds, breeders went for appearance over function (Bulldogs and Cavalier KCS come to mind, in the dog world), and with that "desired look" came the price of a laundry list of hereditary diseases. Multi generation mixes will generally be healthier and less likely to inherit hereditary diseases, since there's a lot more genes to work with, rather than the select pool that a pedigree animal has.

We purrsonally don't see any reason for pedigree cats(not that there's anything wrong with it!) unless you are involved in the show fancy, because you get so much variety with mix breeds. and there are so many cats that are in shelters, that are just as unique and beautiful as a cat with a certificate of pedigree. "siamese"points? spotted tabbies? long hair? random bred ferals can carry and pass on the coloring.

There are a lot of dog people-turned-cat people out there that assume that a cat they adopt or find has to be a certain breed mix, because that's how it usually works with dogs. You see it in shelters too sometimes, where a cat with points is labeled a "Siamese", a cat that is long hair is a "Maine Coon", a cat that is gray is a "Russian Blue", etc.

In dogs, you can often pick out specific breed traits in a mix breed dog, since the Dog is such a specialized animals. Cats on the other hand, are essentially "Domestics", which is a fancy word for a mix breed. Or if you go with slang from across the pond, "Moggy" is a nice word too.
wave
[notify]

» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Hermoine, Jan 23 2:02 pm

Plus Contests > Please Vote To Help FeLV & FIV Cats!! Please??

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 2:02pm PST 
Going to vote, and tell everyone we know - FELV is a terrible disease , but no cat should have to die prematurely for. little angel
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Althea, PAWS, Nov 1 11:21 am

Choosing the Right Cat > What is this cat??

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Wed Aug 11, '10 4:33pm PST 
Nah it's not breed specific, just cat specific! lol My Sable was very much the same way, tho she was an indoor cat. She figured out how to open doors and drawers and would get into all sorts of mischief!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sable - ~Love you Always~ , Aug 11 4:33 pm

Choosing the Right Cat > Russain Blue, British Short Hair, or ???

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Wed Jul 21, '10 6:02pm PST 
if you mean Wesley, he is considered a gray cat. All cats, even black cats, have tabby markings.wave
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Sep 21 3:36 pm

(Page 1 of 30: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.