Postings by Alix -Rainbow Bridge

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

American Curl > Shout out to other American Curls
Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

nothing plain- about a brown- tabby!

Purred: Thu Apr 17, '08 1:01pm PST 
Impians are one of a growing number of hybrid breeds that are using the dominant gene for curly ears of the American Curl to create new breeds.

I'm afraid that Alix and I are not fans of this...we think the American Curl - which is not man-made and which is still a very rare breed - needs no improvement, and that there are so many great kitties out there, mixed and of a recognized breed.

However, we love curly ears so let's leave it at that, having said the above, our position is clear.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alix -Rainbow Bridge, Apr 17 1:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > High quality food for Kidney failure
Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '07 4:46pm PST 
My great-grandpa (now passed on) was the first kitty in our house with crf. He would NOT eat prescription foods, so we just used the food lists out there to find lower phosphorous foods. He lived for almost 4 years with his crf, so we did something right (calcitriol helped too).

One food, though it does have by-products, is Hi-Tor Neo. It is very popular with some crf kitties. You can find it in at least one well known online cat food store.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sylvia (A Tribute), Oct 23 2:51 pm

Cat Health > High blood pressure

Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '07 4:42pm PST 
My uncle has high bp and so does one of mommees rescue kitties.

Neither one had vomitting with it thoughshrug

In my uncle's case, he had bleeding into the eye which resolved with the bp being treated and medication. With Tippy, it's related to his change in kidney function due to his having been recently diagnosed with PKD frown

If your kitty has confirmed high bp, prompt treatment with meds is best.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dakota, Oct 23 12:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > High protein and kidney issues?

Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '07 5:14pm PST 
I agree with Nya! It's the quality of protein, the amount of moisture in the diet (mom thinks wet food or homecooked diet is best). Have a senior panel done yearly once your kitty hits 10 (or earlier if your vet advises) to get a baseline of bun/creatinine/phos/potassium/calcium levels. It will make it easier to catch subtle changes if and when they begin.

Cats are obligate carnivores, they are meant to be eating protein...it's just not the issue re what is causing chronic renal failure (crf) in our older (and sometimes younger) kitties.

So say I, waving a chicken breast treat in my paw (grain free of course!)
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alix -Rainbow Bridge, Sep 21 5:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > Expired cat food

Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 3:14pm PST 
I'd write to the company and ask them if the food is still okay past it's expiration date.

In my opinion, no business should sell (even deeply discounted) food that is past its expiration date ...

If it's still okay for eating, the business could donate it to a local shelter or rescue group, making sure they know it's okay per the manufacturer.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jewel, Sep 17 3:29 pm

Food & Nutrition > Fancy feast
Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 8:37am PST 
I suggest Tiki Cat if you are into the fishy flavors smile And I second the suggestion that you consider Merricks and/or Weruva..lotsa nummy flavors and Momee sez the ingredients are Oh-K.

ps my tip for finding ingredients on many, many brands of cat food is to go to this one site that sells a huge number of brands and lists this kinda info. Don't know if I'm allowed to post the addy here, so am sending you a note.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Link, Aug 28 8:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > QUESTION ABOUT WHEAT FREE TREATS...

Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '07 7:12pm PST 
I didn't see these mentioned yet so let me add to the list (I love treats!!)

Grandma Lucy's has excellent treats - mahi-mahi, tuna, chicken liver, ocean white fish, roasted chicken - all are made in the US in their own facility and packaged by them.

Whole Life - chicken, slammin' salmon, cod, beef muscle, beef liver, turkey

Dr. Harvey's Whisker Smackers - beef, fish or chicken.

All of the above are single protein, single ingredient treats.

I prefer Kitty Kaviar to the tub stuff from the big stores...KK was the first on the market with this as a pet treat and packages it so it doesn't break up into dust..has nice large petals of shaved fish. Num.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Harley, Sep 17 10:26 am

Food & Nutrition > Why doesn't anyone like By Nature?

Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '07 3:08pm PST 
My guys like the By Nature naturals pouches...no grains.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alix -Rainbow Bridge, Aug 26 3:08 pm

Food & Nutrition > Tiki Cat Food

Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '07 3:04pm PST 
PetGuard's Rabbit and Rice is one I liked the phos content on, but I could not convince my first kitty with CRF to eat it, and have not bothered to try it again with my current crf kitties.

I do like the Tiki Cat for normal, healthy kitties, probably would not give it to a senior kitty except as a rare treat since kidney issues are becoming common in senior kitties.

The best website I can give for overall information including re diet, is www.felinecrf.org It's been a bible for me over the years and is kept up to date.
[notify]

» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Regis (1992-2010), Mar 4 6:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Phosphorus
Alix- -Rainbow- Bridge

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '07 6:07pm PST 
I have more experience than I'd ever want with Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) in kitties. I agree with considering the phosphorous level as your kitty approaches it's Senior years.

My approach has not been lower protein, but better quality protein and lower phosphorous.

There is one website that lists the phos content for many foods, if you put in jmpeerson in a web search, it will bring up a link to her food lists (for dry and canned). Though geared for diabetic kitties, because it lists the stats for phos and protein, it is helpful for those with kitties who have crf.

I highly recommend a yearly senior panel, checking thyroid and kidney function at least by age 10...best to catch any subtle changes, versus suddenly having a crisis.

hth,
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alix -Rainbow Bridge, Aug 25 6:07 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.