GO!

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > So Sorry_ my dear Phoenix killed in tumble drier

JASPER

I promise to be- more careful- next time!

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '12 2:49am PST 
I had a wonderful intelligent dark grey Tom by the name of Phoenix who I adopted as an unwanted cat. He was only 2 but a constant source of amusement and pleasure.
Unknown to me he had somehow climbed into my Tumble drier and I switched it on. I am paranoid about checking the barrel of my tumble drier as I am aware how dangerous these machines are to cats. I have no idea how this happened only that it happened. On Christmas Eve I pulled out my washing and then pulled out my dead cat. I was and still am- mortified. This is not like losing a beloved pet due to natural causes. I pressed the button - I shut the door- I killed my cat. I am overcome with grief and guilt. I can only pray that he did not suffer too long and died quickly.
It hurts me to write this, but I am doing so to warn all cat owners that as it is getting winter they should be overly cautious that cats will crawl in a drier because it is warm and cosy.

I hope Phoenixs soul is at peace now and not scarred by the way he died. I hope one day to be able to sleep through the night and will stop waking up at 3am with the haunting awful memory of how I pulled him from my drier (which gets thrown on the tip today).

I love you Phoenix and I am so so sorry. RIP xx

PS- the picture is of my former cat jasper and I dont know how to change the name or picture
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 4:26 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Poem for Jasper
JASPER

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 11:51pm PST 
I am sitting with my memories in our special field & I can see you now hiding in the grass.
Just waiting to jump out and catch the dog’s tail, as Ronan the Springer sprung past.
So many happy days you played in this field, or sunbathed at the foot of a tree.
Lying down beside me watching Ronan dig his holes, we were a happy little family just us 3.
With a child in her pram and Ronan by my side, you would follow but would struggle to keep pace.
Never once did I leave you behind little Jasper. I carried you as we went on our way.
What a strange sight we all must have looked? The neighbours must have had quite a laugh.
To see our little family going out for a walk: with me, the child, the dog and you – the cat.

With your lovely long body, and long slinky fur, my little girl would wrap you round her neck.
She would wear you like a scarf, and you never seemed to mind. You just loved her so you didn’t give a heck!
The week when you went missing, getting locked inside a shed, you gave us all such an awful fright.
We all put up posters and I did what I could., calling out your name throughout the night.
A week later when we found you so extremely relieved, we swore you wouldn’t ever go outside again.
But you would look up at the door, & cry to be released. It hurt us all to see you in such pain.
So again we let you out, again we let you roam, hoping in our hearts you would keep safe.
But one day when you limped home, with your wounds from some bad fight, your damaged leg seemed to seal your fate.

We tried to keep you in, as you hobbled on three legs, but again we did surrender to your cries.
So once again we set you free, to chase birds and climb up trees & live your perfect kitty life.
It was on an April morning when I had overslept, I normally wake at the break of dawn.
I got up for my breakfast, went outside and called your name, but Jasper had not come hobbling home.
I guess you must have heard me and tried to make it back. Oh Jasper- why did you wander so far?
It was in the rush hour traffic as you tried to cross the road, but three legs cannot outrun a car.
When I saw your shattered face and your broken little body, I begged the vet to try and make you live.
I am so sorry for your pain, and maybe you had hoped to die. I pray that this is something you forgive.

For 5 days you battled & my little boy was brave. your broken jaw and shattered hips so sore.
You found the strength to kiss me, even purr when you were stroked, but your hurting body couldn’t take much more.
You were coming home on Friday & I had everything here waiting. I bought you lots of gifts for poorly cats.
But on Tuesday came the phone call, & the words I feared to hear, “I am so sorry, but Jasper has collapsed”
It seems you had a blood clot that had floated to your brain; I prayed you would hang on till I arrived.
The vet reassured me you weren’t in much pain, but I can’t forget your twisted face and cries.
Your body looked so fragile and your legs so very cold, You heard my voice, & knew that I was by your side.
I wrapped my arms around you, & in your final moments in loving arms, my Jaspers body died.
I brought my baby home, and I lay you in your bed. You were still warm, and just looked to be asleep.
We all said our goodbyes, not believing you were dead, We cannot count the many tears we’ve had to weep.
You’ve been buried now for 2 days, and it’s our turn now to heal. yet it’s so hard to just be normal and forget.
We blame ourselves so much, we should have never let you out, but we cannot live our lives with sad regret.
Looking out at the yellow fields against the skies of blue & the cherry blossom floating on the breeze.
I always knew you were an outdoor cat who would have hated life indoors, not able to chase birds, and climb up trees.
And if you had recovered with dodgy legs and missing bits, what kind of sorry life for you was that?
I guess you went away & chose not to stay, because heavens a better place to be a cat.
I am glad you are at peace now & I am happy that you are happy. I know that we will meet again some day.
But right now- I miss my Jasper, I can’t believe that you’re not with me & I so wish that you had never gone away.

shrug wave
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 3 7:40 am

Cat Health > Urine retention post pelvic fracture & car accident

JASPER

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 11:39pm PST 
Hi- this is Jaspers mummy. Thank you for your kind messages. Jasper did go to his litter tray on Tuesday and the vet said he seemed to be regaining some bladder control. She said if he improved that he could come home on Friday. I got a big cage ready for him(as he couldn't move with that broken pelvis) and lots of nice things for poorly cat.
Then at 4.30pm I got the call he had collapsed. He had a blood clot that had travelled to his brain. They gave him Heparin but it didn't work. Jasper died in my arms.
I am very distressed. Blood clots are a knwon complication of pelvic fractures in humans so I am sure the same applies to cats. Should they not have given him something to prevent it forming in the first place? Poor brave boy. He had been getting better before this and was ready to come home to be nursed.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 28 11:39 pm

Cat Health > Urine retention post pelvic fracture & car accident

JASPER

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '07 11:49pm PST 
Hi- has anyone on the site ever had a cat that has suffered a pelvic fracture and if so - what happened to your cat? My Jasper was run over with a car 5 days ago. He got a massive head injury and our initial concern was his badly broken jaw (the worst the Vet has seen) & his brain was bleeding. His brain has stopped bleeding and other than losing some partial sight in one eye - he has no brain damage & his jaw is now all wired up. However the worst part is that he broke his pelvis in 5 places. The fractures are aligned so should heal okay- but the big fear is that some of the nerves leading to his pelvis have been damaged. He has urinary retention with overflow incontinence. The Vet has to squeeze his bladder to push urine out. They say that is not compatable with a normal life and if he doesn't regain some bladder function within 3 weeks he will have to be put to sleep. I do not want to loose him after he has been such a brave boy & fought so hard to survive. Has anyone else any similar experiences they can share with - especially if it relates to a similar injury or condition?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 28 11:39 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.